R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Roadtrip suggestions for AZ - UT National Parks quick roadtrip?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
dpeezy3000 will become famous soon enoughdpeezy3000 will become famous soon enough
dpeezy3000's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Roadtrip suggestions for AZ - UT National Parks quick roadtrip?

Time to get out of the concrete jungle!

I'm headed to the North Rim, Zion, and Bryce Canyon area from Wed. - Sun.

Any recommendations on camping spots and/or easy 4x4 trails?

I'm not trying to get crazy with the new truck, but I'd like to take advantage of any 4WD / high-clearance opportunities in the area.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
enigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
Name: Nate
enigmadsm's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics from your trip?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
dpeezy3000 will become famous soon enoughdpeezy3000 will become famous soon enough
dpeezy3000's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. We did some exploring around Grand Canyon North Rim (Sublime Point 4x4), Grand Staircase Escalante (Cottonwood Road 4x4, Grosvenor Arch, Cottonwood Narrows canyon), Bryce Canyon, and Zion (Kolob Canyon Road).

I would love to do some more exploring on the dirt roads around the Grand Canyon and Grand Staircase-Escalante. Pretty amazing that we were able have Sublime Point nearly to ourselves on a holiday weekend!

Here are a few pics:

Grand Canyon North Rim on the way to Sublime Point:

Sublime Point campground:

Sublime Point campground closeup of rim:

Thunderstorm across the Grand Canyon on the South Rim, taken from Sublime Point:

Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Cottonwood Road:

Zion Kolob Canyon:
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool lookin trip! I took a similar trip a couple months ago. There are a lot of places to enjoy some solitude up there
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for more cool pics.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
The Point Sublime trail is a great little road through some nice forest. Looks like a good time. I need to explore the grand staircase one of these days.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
OP stole your idea and went on a similar road trip last weekend.

North Rim:

Point Sublime:

Got super lucky and drew out in the lottery for The Wave:

Thunderstorm rolling into Bryce Canyon:

Broken Arrow in Sedona on the way home:

The optional Steps on the trail (I think a little pee came out):

A few more pinstripes, but the Taco handled the whole trip like a champ
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
how'd you guys do on gas / range at the north rim?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant View Post
how'd you guys do on gas / range at the north rim?
Not sure what you're asking. I've been to the North Rim four times... the truck gets the same mileage there as anywhere else. I have an extra fuel tank (9 gal) and sometimes carry a 2 or 5 gal backup so range usually isn't an issue. But that really isn't a problem there... there's a gas station at the Vermilion Cliffs west of Navajo Bridge, one a Jacob Lake, and one right outside the national park.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, yo did get super lucky drawing for the wave. Awesome pics.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
Savior of the Universe
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. i'm gonna have to make this trip!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
Damn, yo did get super lucky drawing for the wave. Awesome pics.
Thanks. Yea we were definitely lucky, and this time of year there are a lot less people trying. There were about 25 people in the lottery, but apparently during May or October there can be up to 150 people on any given day. I also think there was some kharma involved because we were the only ones that even looked remotely in shape and prepared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipawlus View Post
sub'd. i'm gonna have to make this trip!
It's definitely worth your while!