R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Tire recommendations

Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
PatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud of

Name: Pat
PatSully's Tacoma Gallery
Tire recommendations

Hello All,

Its time for me to put tires on my PreRunner and I need some help. I have never bought truck tires before and I am feeling overwhelmed by the vast selection available.

I have the 17" TRD sport wheels on my TRD off road truck. I have been tossing the idea of buying a set of wheels and tires from someone that put different wheels and tires on their truck and then attempting to sell the wheels I have. I have also been looking at buying new tires and there are too many to choose from and I feel like I don't want to make the wrong choice.

The wheel/tire combos I have seen are going for more than I want to spend, after considering putting my TPMS sensors into them with a remount and balance, and then the trouble of selling my wheels.

So I think I have decided to buy new tires, can anyone recommend a local place to buy or a tire? I drive mostly on road with occasional of road trails/fire roads here in AZ. I also do tow a light trailer and put a bike in the bed of the truck.

Thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Pat

this is a typical setting for the truck when off the main roads, but not always with the bike.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bfg All terrians are a great tire. I am running those on my 06 offroad prerunner.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Do your part and support local businesses!
Call Jason H or Vince at SDHQ man and take a look at the Toyo ATII. 55k-65k manufacturer warranty and they give TW discounts.
Phone: 480-633-2929
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Desert Rat is having a sale on Toyos until tomorrow. Buy 3 get 1 free.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
TheCookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT2 mine ride like a dream
Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Desert Rat is having a sale on Toyos until tomorrow. Buy 3 get 1 free.
They raise the price on the 3 so really your still paying the same as 4 Normally.

For a Toyo A/T II at LT/285/70R17 (a 33") Desert Rat is at $308-311 a tire (just checked online)

Our everyday price is $257.99 a tire....They are awesome tires!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer BFG A/Ts...i'm running them now and they're the best tire I've ran.
Good road manners and great in the desert terrain!

Good luck man
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
PatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud of

Name: Pat
PatSully's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info all, i will give SDHQ a shout when i am ready.
i forgot to mention what i have now, they are Michelin Latitude tours.

how are the Michelin LTX, Toyo, and BFG A/T on road noise?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSully View Post

We had 3 members out at the monthly 2 weeks ago that run the Toyo ATII and all of them said they loved the tires. Ive been doing the research for months in anticipation for my Nittos to be ready to be swapped and am yet to find one person who doesnt like the Toyo. Just do a thread search here on TW and you will see the same opinions all the way around, they are just great tires and very well priced. Less expensive then the BFG AT, more tread and a manufacturer that backs the tire they produce for 55-65k (depending on size)
Forget Discount tire and spending an extra 40$ a tire on road hazzard certificates and not to mention just spending more on a BFG based on the name.
Ive had this conversation soo many times and ive sold myself 100x over, Toyo is the way to go. Come out to some meets and talk to the guys yourself, go into SDHQ and take a look for yourself. This is your ride, your money and you should make and educated decision based on your own findings. Happy tire hunting, good luck and post pics here when you pull the trigger on a purchase.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSully View Post

My BFGs aren't bad at all...they don't hum like a 35" mud terrain anyway lol

Like mentioned above you just gotta do a little homework and make your own decision. I ran terra grapplers and they didn't last for shit, so I went to the hankook atm's that also didn't last for shit! I decided on the BFGs because they have the most proven all terrain around which can't be wrong... Got them for 1100 out the from discount with the tread warranties in a 285/75/16 D rated
Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
My BFGs aren't bad at all...they don't hum like a 35" mud terrain anyway lol

Like mentioned above you just gotta do a little homework and make your own decision. I ran terra grapplers and they didn't last for shit, so I went to the hankook atm's that also didn't last for shit! I decided on the BFGs because they have the most proven all terrain around which can't be wrong... Got them for 1100 out the from discount with the tread warranties in a 285/75/16 D rated
Every one of us will agree, MTRs dont last and we dont need them in AZ. My Nitto Grapplers are chunking and noisy as all hell. I can wait to be rid of them in 10k!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
spd33 is on a distinguished road
spd33's Tacoma Gallery
If you would consider used, I have a set of Toyo Open Country 265/65/17s for sale that I recently pulled off of my Sequoia. They have tons of tread left and are in great shape, no chunking, no dry rot, etc. Asking $260 for the 4. Great tires, I just went up a size on my mall crawler. These are far quieter than the BFG A/T's that I installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire recommendations-img-20130707-00441.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
dira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David
dira1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd33 View Post
If you would consider used, I have a set of Toyo Open Country 265/65/17s for sale that I recently pulled off of my Sequoia. They have tons of tread left and are in great shape, no chunking, no dry rot, etc. Asking $240 for the 4. Great tires, I just went up a size on my mall crawler. These are far quieter than the BFG A/T's that I installed.
That is an awesome deal! I ran toyo open country tires and I loved them. Not loud, not too heavy, but you can still do some decent offroading and they handle great.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett4x4 View Post
We had 3 members out at the monthly 2 weeks ago that run the Toyo ATII and all of them said they loved the tires. Ive been doing the research for months in anticipation for my Nittos to be ready to be swapped and am yet to find one person who doesnt like the Toyo. Just do a thread search here on TW and you will see the same opinions all the way around, they are just great tires and very well priced. Less expensive then the BFG AT, more tread and a manufacturer that backs the tire they produce for 55-65k (depending on size)
Forget Discount tire and spending an extra 40$ a tire on road hazzard certificates and not to mention just spending more on a BFG based on the name.
Ive had this conversation soo many times and ive sold myself 100x over, Toyo is the way to go. Come out to some meets and talk to the guys yourself, go into SDHQ and take a look for yourself. This is your ride, your money and you should make and educated decision based on your own findings. Happy tire hunting, good luck and post pics here when you pull the trigger on a purchase.
Saw this thread and was gonna post about the toyos although see your well ahead of me! X2^^^

Grabbed this shot in sedona this week. They've been great in all conditions so far
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post
Saw this thread and was gonna post about the toyos although see your well ahead of me! X2^^^

Grabbed this shot in sedona this week. They've been great in all conditions so far
Nice pic Dunk! But Seriously.. time for some real sliders
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post

Glad it is getting used! Looks good!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
See my slider thread I'm working on finding budget now! After this trip I've convinced my lady that I need them
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #19

Already responded to that thread.. Im sooo busy at work right now
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
TheCookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion would be getting Michelin LTX AT2 for your truck if it is mostly a daily driver and keeping stock rims and stay with stock youll save money and gas costs staying with OEM size and not lose any driving comfort. Also would be good time to get new shocks BILSTEIN HD( aftermarket type) would fit the bill nicely.