Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Air Conditioning taking way longer to cool down

Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
Air Conditioning taking way longer to cool down

The past couple of weeks ive noticed that the AC on my Taco is taking longer to cool down the cab. Before I would set the setting on high and within a few minutes the air would be freezing cold. But lately the air is coming out "cool" but not cold when set on high. My question is, could it need time for recharging? Ive had 2 other Tacos and never dealt with issue. Do you guys recommend any shop that could do it without charging an arm and leg? I called a local shop and they wanted $190 to do it. Has anyone tried AC Pro, the one announced on tv?....Or any of those r134 cans from Wally World work? PLease chime in, Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
I would take it a place you trust to charge it. Don't waste your time on the do it your self kits.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Does anyone have any recommendations where to go?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
$190 is not expensive.

If the system needs a recharge, that means it is leaking. The leak needs to be repaired.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
bueller will become famous soon enough

bueller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
$190 is not expensive.

If the system needs a recharge, that means it is leaking. The leak needs to be repaired.
This is correct.

Technically, it's illegal for a shop to recharge your system without first fixing the leak. Refrigerant does not wear out. If it isn't cooling, the refrigerant leaked out or something else is wrong.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use any refrigerant with a leak stop in it. It'll cost you BIG if you have to have your system repaired in the future, trust me.

And I used to work in an auto AC repair shop.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Do you recommend any shops?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
All Town Auto Repair
2542 W. Broadway #11

480-967-6606

Its right next to Sierra Expeditions, so you can go drool over cool off road stuff while they fix your truck. Its on the east side of the 101, north side of Broadway.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
bueller will become famous soon enough

bueller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
The shop I worked at is Arizona Mobile Air. The unfortunate thing is the owner is the worst person I've ever met, a horrible human being. The upside is that the lead tech (Jack) is probably one of the best AC mechanics in Arizona. If you can get past dealing with the owner (you may get lucky and be there on a good day), then they do good work. Closest cross streets are 35th ave and Indian School.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
I had almost the same problem on my Tacoma. I did AC PRO on my 06 tacoma, my girlfriends Sentra, and her little brothers 03 Tacoma and it worked awesome for all three of us!

I would recommend it. If you spend $30 and it doesn't fix it owell, if you spend $30 and it works you just saved $150 because you didn't have to go to a shop....
Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensecondchevelle View Post
I had almost the same problem on my Tacoma. I did AC PRO on my 06 tacoma, my girlfriends Sentra, and her little brothers 03 Tacoma and it worked awesome for all three of us!

I would recommend it. If you spend $30 and it doesn't fix it owell, if you spend $30 and it works you just saved $150 because you didn't have to go to a shop....
And when it doesn't work, you've just destroyed your system.

If you have a small leak in a line at the condensor, when a shop opens the system to perform the repair, the system sealant in the DIY kit will foul the compressor.

It will also really piss off the tech because he will not be able to recycle and reuse the R134a that he pulled from your system.

Half of the shit sold at auto parts stores is only useful for used car salesmen trying to get problems to move off of their lot.
That goes for any "stop leak" product and any oil additive. Fuel additives are for the most part harmless, but they are also pretty much ineffective with very few exceptions.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
And when it doesn't work, you've just destroyed your system.

If you have a small leak in a line at the condensor, when a shop opens the system to perform the repair, the system sealant in the DIY kit will foul the compressor.

It will also really piss off the tech because he will not be able to recycle and reuse the R134a that he pulled from your system.

Half of the shit sold at auto parts stores is only useful for used car salesmen trying to get problems to move off of their lot.
That goes for any "stop leak" product and any oil additive. Fuel additives are for the most part harmless, but they are also pretty much ineffective with very few exceptions.
This ^^^^^

Shops can pull a vacuum on the system, and see if its leaking. Afterwards, they can properly fill it, so as to keep ambient air out of the system.