R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Lets talk EBC Brakes and Rotors

Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Eep, after looking at those EBC rotors... I wouldn't use them (slotted ones). Any rotor that has the slot go to the very edge is extremely dangerous under heavy breaking. It causes a weak point, and in autocross/street cars anyway... they're known to explode under heaving constant use.

Personally I'd stick to just doing drilled rotors, if going that route. But, I have no experience on the taco other than stock rotors and the duralast ones (which surprisingly, do just as well thus far).
I'm running the ebc stage 5 and I would definitely appreciate the links to exploding ebc slotted rotors.... Not being sarcastic, I'm on my phone and headed to the docs, and would like to read up on this when I'm in the waiting room.

I've heard for many yrs that its the crossdrilled rotors u must worry about due to cracking.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I'm running the ebc stage 5 and I would definitely appreciate the links to exploding ebc slotted rotors.... Not being sarcastic, I'm on my phone and headed to the docs, and would like to read up on this when I'm in the waiting room.

I've heard for many yrs that its the crossdrilled rotors u must worry about due to cracking.
I didn't say anything about the EBC rotors themselves, just that similar style rotors that are slotted to the edge have been known to explode under heavy breaking conditions (namely track) which wouldn't be too drastically different from off-road abuse I'd think. The link was on 3si.org a long time ago, a member there had it happen to them personally on their vr4. I'm not gunna go digging for it though lol.

Just a word of caution is all. They'll probably work perfectly fine, but knowing its' a weak point... I personally wouldn't run them myself... is all.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I didn't say anything about the EBC rotors themselves, just that similar style rotors that are slotted to the edge have been known to explode under heavy breaking conditions (namely track) which wouldn't be too drastically different from off-road abuse I'd think. The link was on 3si.org a long time ago, a member there had it happen to them personally on their vr4. I'm not gunna go digging for it though lol.

Just a word of caution is all. They'll probably work perfectly fine, but knowing its' a weak point... I personally wouldn't run them myself... is all.

I'll look into it I guess when I get home.
I'd def like more info about slotted rotor issues.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
You can get the whole stage 3 kit with green stuff pads and sport dimple and slotted rotors for $250 right now on sale at EBC. Shouldnt be much different for a sec gen than my 03. http://ebcrotors.com/p-233-stage-3-t...l2=&submodel3=
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Actually a little more for yours OP. http://ebcrotors.com/p-233-stage-3-t...l2=&submodel3=
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
AZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
AZHornet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
I highly advise AGAINST putting stainless lines on the TRD off-road version as they are hydraulic assisted. It will no longer allow for a linear braking feel and will cause your wheels to lock up earlier which is dangerous. The TRD off-road braking system is designed for certain line pressure which stainless lines will increase too drastically. Similar to 4Runner's, GX470's etc.

Not sure where you getting that from...I have had them on both my '09 and '02 Taco's with TRD Offroad package with zero problems...in stopping power, modulation (on road or off)...
Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have the rear lines and ordered the fronts last week. I should be installing them this coming Friday. I have also bypassed my ABS with a switch.
I dont need pads for awhile yet but I will be bleeding down the whole system with the line swaps. I will post my results then.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
You say tomato..........I say fuck you!
05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TacoRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
05TacoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHornet View Post
Not sure where you getting that from...I have had them on both my '09 and '02 Taco's with TRD Offroad package with zero problems...in stopping power, modulation (on road or off)...
Personal experience and experience from other owners.
ultimately it's up to you, but after i installed stainless lines on my 4Runner that had the similar braking system as the off-road, i removed it as it was dangerous under panic situations. The brakes become alot more touchier and on/off than having a linear braking pressure.

In crotch rocket terms, its like having a 19 x 18 master cylinder vs a 19 x 20.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoRunner View Post
HAHAHAH!!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #31

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
I highly advise AGAINST putting stainless lines on the TRD off-road version as they are hydraulic assisted. It will no longer allow for a linear braking feel and will cause your wheels to lock up earlier which is dangerous. The TRD off-road braking system is designed for certain line pressure which stainless lines will increase too drastically. Similar to 4Runner's, GX470's etc.
Really?

I've had my ss braided lines for probably 4yrs now, and I actually run my truck (for the last two yrs) with my ABS OFF all the time.

Truck stops just fine.. I've never accidentally.locked the wheels up.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #32

I appreciate the spirited replies and all of the help. I will have the lines done Friday (Thanks to Jason) and will let you guys know how different it is.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #33

Jason comes though yet again and helps me make the modifications to my brake lines. I had purchased lines that are 3" over stock. We ended up having more than enough line at full droop so we removed some of the line and made a few small bends to get the angles correct. Ive been driving on it for about 100 miles now and there is a considerable difference in the pedal pressure and how the truck is stopping.
We will be taking the trucks out next weekend for further testing and I will report back at that time
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #34
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Now I need to do this! After bleeding my rears my brakes have become super spongy! But I'm way overdue for some extended SS llines front and rear
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future

Name: Scott
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
EBC Stage 5...very happy

I PM'd Justus a while back on his setup (EBC Stage 5 setup). Also have the SS lines, however I've yet to get them installed.

After 200 miles of easy braking the EBC Stage 5 setup now has much improved feel and stopping power over stock. I've just now started to hit the brakes harder and there is definitely much more of a bite than the stock setup. I was also getting a slight vibration on my stock rotors when slightly hitting the brake pedal. The original setup had 27K miles on them and I still had pad left, but the rotors were a bit warped.

There is much more brake dust with the yellow pads. Can't tell on my setup since I have the anthracite FJ SE wheels, but one swipe with my finger on the wheels shows a lot of dust.

I also used the DIY links on this site to do everything myself. Took a bit longer than the stealership, but my wheels are also not torqued over 130lbs.....and it was pretty easy to do.

Interesting I opened the bleeder to take the pads out and the color of the fluid was a bit darker than what was in the reservoir. Bled both sides until I got a nice light gold color out of the bleeders and refilled the reservior.

Love this site for info like this. And thank you Justus for the great recommendation on Stage 5 setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets talk EBC Brakes and Rotors-stage5.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #36

Nice looking set up man! You still have a sway bar???

I forgot to report back after I went wheeling on this thread. The combined steel lines with the abs kill made a huge difference! I've done about 80 miles off road and loved every min. Not one peep from my abs and not one scare that I couldn't stop. At this point I'm going to wait for my pads to wear completely before I look towards a new pad. I will not be going with drilled/slotted rotors though.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future

Name: Scott
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett4x4 View Post
Nice looking set up man! You still have a sway bar???

I forgot to report back after I went wheeling on this thread. The combined steel lines with the abs kill made a huge difference! I've done about 80 miles off road and loved every min. Not one peep from my abs and not one scare that I couldn't stop. At this point I'm going to wait for my pads to wear completely before I look towards a new pad. I will not be going with drilled/slotted rotors though.
Thanks. Your truck is pretty sweet as well.

Yes...still have the sway bar as the majority of time I spend is back-n-forth to the airport.

Hoping to get the SS lines installed next weekend and bleed the remaining fluid through the system. Should be good for another few years.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #38

There are some mean curbs to crawl at the airport
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #39

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I'm glad ur happy with the setup, and happy u were aware that the braking becomes better after a few miles. Sorry to not inform you well enough about the dusting, I based it off of looks and not by wiping my finger across the rims. I guess it is hard to tell on some rims.

At least there's a couple of us with these now and its not just my sole opinion, and u have shown that I may have underestimated the dusting, so thats good.

I've noticed that even tho these are not drilled (I'll never run cross drilled), the black coating comes off the face quickly (no surprise at all because thats normal) but the dimples catch a little dust and LOOKS like a cross drilled rotor. Just something I like.
They morph from black face and brushed slots and dimples, to brushed looking face with dark dimples. From what I can see in the dimly lit garage, the hat is still black tho

Happy braking gentlemen, and as always feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhun2r View Post
I PM'd Justus a while back on his setup (EBC Stage 5 setup). Also have the SS lines, however I've yet to get them installed.

After 200 miles of easy braking the EBC Stage 5 setup now has much improved feel and stopping power over stock. I've just now started to hit the brakes harder and there is definitely much more of a bite than the stock setup. I was also getting a slight vibration on my stock rotors when slightly hitting the brake pedal. The original setup had 27K miles on them and I still had pad left, but the rotors were a bit warped.

There is much more brake dust with the yellow pads. Can't tell on my setup since I have the anthracite FJ SE wheels, but one swipe with my finger on the wheels shows a lot of dust.

I also used the DIY links on this site to do everything myself. Took a bit longer than the stealership, but my wheels are also not torqued over 130lbs.....and it was pretty easy to do.

Interesting I opened the bleeder to take the pads out and the color of the fluid was a bit darker than what was in the reservoir. Bled both sides until I got a nice light gold color out of the bleeders and refilled the reservior.

Love this site for info like this. And thank you Justus for the great recommendation on Stage 5 setup.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #40

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
didnt see this when I posted earlier with my phone........ ur rotors had arrows?!

NICE!

heres mine out of the box................. no arrows