R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Lets talk EBC Brakes and Rotors

Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lets talk EBC Brakes and Rotors

Starting to do the research on new brakes for my truck and wanted to see if any of you are running this combo from EBC or if you had any other suggestions. I want to "upgrade" and get some better stopping without spending the $$$$ to get new calipers.

I spoke with EBC directly after calling a few local carriers because the local guys didn't know jack about these products or could give me a part #
EBC had me call Place for Brakes out of FL and these guys were quick to fire off answers to my questions. Here is what Ive got so far. I included initial pricing, I have NOT done any other searching for the best prices... YET

For my application they recommend the:

PADS
Yellow Stuff Sport Brake Pads #DP41657R $138.49

ROTORS
OEM solid disc #UPR7237 $140.30
*OEM direct replacement

USR Slotted #USR7237 $207.52
* according to the dealer, these will work well with the yellow stuff pads. The only part he made sure to tell me is that when mud gets on the rotors I will need to be sure to rinse down the rotor to prevent any mud from baking into the slot. This isn't a big deal because I typically rinse off my truck after wheeling anyway due to the heat out here. When it comes to turning them he said that Pep Boys has the right lathe to turn these come maintenance time.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
AZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
AZHornet's Tacoma Gallery
May I also suggest

You throw steel lines into your setup with Blue Dot brake fluid? I believe Im running a similiar setup to you on my '02..EBC Yellow with Powerslot rotors and steel lines. My buddy had it setup this way when I bought it. I will find out and let you know.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Brembo Rotors with Hawk pads here
Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea man, let me know. Last night I was out on the trails and my brakes are definitely lacking. This also has to do with the ABS engaging way too much.
Its an expensive upgrade, but I think Ill end up starting with the pads/rotors. I can look into researching lines as well.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
TheRedHorseman will become famous soon enough
TheRedHorseman's Tacoma Gallery
If ABS is activating, your brakes aren't lacking at all.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
If ABS is activating, your brakes aren't lacking at all.
On the road, I agree that ABS is working and needed.. But off road this is different. I want to lock up and dig in. While at speed down a wash where its bumpy you can tap the brakes and you can actually hear the ABS engage and the truck is much slower to stop.

check this out
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
An ABS kill switch will fix that problem. But since your brakes can lock up, you don't have a braking power problem overall.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
An ABS kill switch will fix that problem. But since your brakes can lock up, you don't have a braking power problem overall.
The whole purpose of this thread is to learn what other TW folks have done and this morning I was enlightened by the ABS kill switch. I also know that I can change to a different pad and see some increase as well. The slotted rotors are probably overkill, its not a race truck. My brake job will be soon so I will keep digging.
Thanks for your input man.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Different pads will make a far bigger difference than different rotors as far as brake performance goes. Your average set of pads are meant for long life at the expense of stopping power. Things like the EBC pads are made for high stopping power at the expense of long life.

I'd save the money and run regular rotors with good pads personally. That money could be better invested in steel lines and good fluid.

The ABS kill is a no brainer for sure. I was really happy to pop the hood on my truck when I bought it and see no ABS lurking under the hood.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
I too am looking for good set of of pads and rotors....
But i definitely dont want slotted rotors... i prefer blanks.
EBC makes a extra duty light truck brake pads.... Will those be better than the RED STUFF?

It is hard to believe pep boys know these stuff....
At least my local pep boys hire all dumb asses

PS: In my experience.... installing SS lines doesnt really help much
And changing them out is annoying, and there is always a chance of stripping out that NUT on the hardline.
Besides on the Tacoma, it is hard line to rubber then another hard line to the calipers.
So i cant see THAT big of a difference if u change out that rubber section of the line.

Other cars is just Metal line to RUBBER LINE connecting to calipers, and i didnt notice a jack difference after switching to SS lines
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Flare nut wrenches are your friend.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I put on brembo solid rotors and ebc greenstuff pads. Much more stopping power but a lot of brake dust. No squeal or shake or anything.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Flare nut wrenches are your friend.

x2
Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #14

I think I will end up turning my current rotors and trying the Yellow Stuff Pads and see how it goes until the next brake job. I'm going to do the ABS switch in the coming weekend for sure.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
cytocycle is a jewel in the roughcytocycle is a jewel in the roughcytocycle is a jewel in the roughcytocycle is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
cytocycle's Tacoma Gallery
1) Put Stainless Steel Brakelines on before you do pads.
2) Flush your brake fluid every two years!
When you stomp on the brakes the rubber lines flex and you get spongy braking..... They are pretty cheap and biggest improvement in my opinion due to better feel and therefore modulation control.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
AZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
AZHornet's Tacoma Gallery
Steel lines

I have installed steel lines in every car i have owned and to me its the biggest bang for the buck....sticking with stock size but upgraded components along with steel lines will mean no fade..ever. I am actually dreaming of the TRD Big Brake Kit for the last generation Tundra (I have an '02)...my concern (in addition to the cost), is they would be TOO good...ie lock up at a moments notice.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival.

Looking for a pad/rotor kit and some shoes for the back.

Anymore thought other than what has been offered above?

Thanks

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHornet View Post
I have installed steel lines in every car i have owned and to me its the biggest bang for the buck....sticking with stock size but upgraded components along with steel lines will mean no fade..ever. I am actually dreaming of the TRD Big Brake Kit for the last generation Tundra (I have an '02)...my concern (in addition to the cost), is they would be TOO good...ie lock up at a moments notice.
I highly advise AGAINST putting stainless lines on the TRD off-road version as they are hydraulic assisted. It will no longer allow for a linear braking feel and will cause your wheels to lock up earlier which is dangerous. The TRD off-road braking system is designed for certain line pressure which stainless lines will increase too drastically. Similar to 4Runner's, GX470's etc.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Eep, after looking at those EBC rotors... I wouldn't use them (slotted ones). Any rotor that has the slot go to the very edge is extremely dangerous under heavy breaking. It causes a weak point, and in autocross/street cars anyway... they're known to explode under heaving constant use.

Personally I'd stick to just doing drilled rotors, if going that route. But, I have no experience on the taco other than stock rotors and the duralast ones (which surprisingly, do just as well thus far).
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
LOCO 4X4
lemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Ryan
lemons's Tacoma Gallery
Auto Anything has the Yellow stuff Pads for $131.00 with free shipping. Plus if you have bought stuff from them before they send you a discount code. So I got mine for $111.83 with free shipping. I go to Auto Anything for most of my normal replacements because their prices are good and they have free shipping. You can't beat that.