R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Arizona CCW

Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
Can you quote the statute that prohibits non-residents from carrying concealed without a permit? I could not find it in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
It does not exist. He is not correct on that. Californians may open or concealed carry in AZ whether they have a permit or not.

There are only three other states that have similar statutes, Alaska (concealed carry for all non-prohibited adults 21+, state issues permits for purposes of reciprocity), Vermont (concealed carry for all non-prohibited adults 21+, state does not issue permits), and Wyoming (concealed carry for all non-prohibited residents 21+, state issues permit), therefore, 46 other states have "more restrictive" laws than AZ.
AZ has been a no-permit open carry state for a long time.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
TheRedHorseman will become famous soon enough
TheRedHorseman's Tacoma Gallery
I was under the impression that the resident only carry thing was case law. I'll see if I can dig anything up.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've seen references to "Resident over 21" on a few sites including Wikipedia.
The NRA site does not reference "Resident"
Likewise, Handgunlaw.us
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
Says "Anyone" in their summary. The legal sections quoted do not reference permitless carry... only permitted-carry in a business.

http://www.gunlaws.com/agogRL.htm
Specifically states "Resident or not"

Actual state law
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...13&DocType=ARS
References resident of AZ or Citizen of the US, but this statute references only issuance of a permit.

Here's the DPS faq
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ons/Questions/
I'm not seeing any restrictions there.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
Can you quote the statute that prohibits non-residents from carrying concealed without a permit? I could not find it in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
Maybe it changed, maybe it's not written where you read it. What I stated is what I read on an Arizona government site several months ago while planning my trip there. It specified resident and reciprocal law. I also asked my brother who has been up on the gun laws and challenging them for many years there and he confirmed what I'd read almost verbatim. I asked a cop and got the same, but was followed with 'I wouldn't site you for carrying, but if you use it then you'll have to answer to the written law'. Given the direction Az headed with their carry law I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with 'resident', but I would caution against taking the law from anything other than Az directly; hopefully it's clear cut with no need to interpret. Gun sites and us forum people get it wrong all the time, as do attorneys, cops, etc.

Their site was fun to read, they even spell out the size and type of molotov cocktail one can't legally carry right down to the flash point temperature of the liquid. I don't think they call it a molotov, but give a precise description of what it is.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
SLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
SLACK3R's Tacoma Gallery
This should help has rear world examples.

www.asrpa.com/Ccwclass15.pdf
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
Maybe it changed, maybe it's not written where you read it. What I stated is what I read on an Arizona government site several months ago while planning my trip there. It specified resident and reciprocal law. I also asked my brother who has been up on the gun laws and challenging them for many years there and he confirmed what I'd read almost verbatim. I asked a cop and got the same, but was followed with 'I wouldn't site you for carrying, but if you use it then you'll have to answer to the written law'. Given the direction Az headed with their carry law I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with 'resident', but I would caution against taking the law from anything other than Az directly; hopefully it's clear cut with no need to interpret. Gun sites and us forum people get it wrong all the time, as do attorneys, cops, etc.
Either way, it is easy enough to get an AZ non-resident permit, which eliminates any question of legality AND provides an exemption from the Federal GFSZ statute, which a California permit does not provide in any state other than California.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I did a Utah permit with John and allready had a CCW before I met John.
I have taken some of the pistol classes since.
Great person and he is a MCSO officer so he is very up to date on his classes.

http://www.azccwclasses.com/
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few guns I bought at gun shows (no paperwork). I am from West Virginia and am not sure I can legally conceal carry them. Don't want to lose them and end up in jail for possession of stolen property either.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
I have a few guns I bought at gun shows (no paperwork). I am from West Virginia and am not sure I can legally conceal carry them. Don't want to lose them and end up in jail for possession of stolen property either.

Good thing to know.
The Police will only run a number check if you bring it to them, not by phone. So if you get pulled over they will ask if you have any weapons, you answer yes and they will borrow it, run the serial # and return it to you if it is not reported stolen usually unloaded and in a bag.

Now if it does pop up stolen things get interesting! No you do not get to keep it and they will be interested in how, whom, and where you aquired it from.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Good thing to know.
The Police will only run a number check if you bring it to them, not by phone. So if you get pulled over they will ask if you have any weapons, you answer yes and they will borrow it, run the serial # and return it to you if it is not reported stolen usually unloaded and in a bag.

Now if it does pop up stolen things get interesting! No you do not get to keep it and they will be interested in how, whom, and where you aquired it from.
I have a good friend who is also a State Trooper. I think I should let him check them out.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #31
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea, worst case you lose a couple firearms.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
OP, if you're still interested in taking a CCW class, I would recommend John at Black Wolf Defense.