Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

LED vs HID vs ???

Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
RPS1030 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
RPS1030's Tacoma Gallery
LED vs HID vs ???

Saw a lot of different setups at the meet last night, but didn't think about this till now.

I've got a pair of Rigid Dually Floods hiding in the front bumper and old yellow'd headlights on my 99. The LEDs really fill in the short distance and wide view. I love them for seeing around dark corners, finding campsite turnoffs and some camp setup time. But, they aren't really useful above 20-30ish MPH.

I've got an AllPro Apex plate front bumper with no tube-work, so pretty wide open. There are 2 holes already for a pair of normal lights, or I could pretty easily do a LED bar in the 12-20" range. I had also thought about the Ruffstuff 4" HIDs, but looks like they are updating.

What do recommend for more range without going crazy? For a normal style 4x4 doing 40-60 on standard forest roads, not balls to the wall per-running.

Ryan
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
if your worried about out running your lights, but you dont plan on doing 70+ through the desert, the 4 or 7 inch kragen lights are the best bang for your buck. i can find them for 80ish each if your are interested. (euro beam)
the led bars are BRIGHT, but EXPENSIVE, and doesnt shine as far either.

for lights that will shine real far you can get some spot halogen lights.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
My lightbar almost, if not beats, out my 7inch HID spots for distance.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
My lightbar almost, if not beats, out my 7inch HID spots for distance.

hmm interesting, noted.

what bar do you have?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Vision X, 24 inch 5v LED's. 3 leds on each side are wide angle, the others are all spots. I don't need my HID Spots anymore as the lightbar pretty much takes care of it for me.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
RPS1030 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
RPS1030's Tacoma Gallery
Oh gosh, love the consolidation.

Is a pair of 4" worth it? Not sure I like the bigger look.

Low profile, instant on, and low amperage are nice with the LED bar.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
My 140 Lightforces outshine my 12" china bar by a LONG shot. ?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
My 140 Lightforces outshine my 12" china bar by a LONG shot. ?
Doesn't suprise me. You are talking a really nice set of Spots vs. a cheap china 12inch LED bar.

My LED isn't cheap, my spots are decent but not as good as yours.

I'll try and take pics.

LED downfall, expensive.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be willing to be a set of 55w HID lightforce 170's will outshine just about every LED light at out there..

Especially if the bar is 20" or shorter like op says he has room for.