R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Dealership Oil Change Fail: What should I do?

Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
They use oil in bulk, there usually aren't any left over oil bottles.
I was referring to options for DIY.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #42
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Andrew, what was the outcome??
Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #43
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Look at it as a learning experience. This is exactly why alot of us here recommend doing the oil changes yourself... even if they are free. Over the years here i've read thread after thread on botched dealership oil changes. But hey, look at the bright side... at least they actually put oil back in and hopefully changed the filter.
Install a section of 5/16" (id) hose with a clamp to the drain nipple on the bottom of the catch basin... problem solved.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #44
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
I'm late to the thread, but I wouldn't waste my time going back to the dealer. Shit happens, but I can't think of anything they could offer that would make it worth my time driving back there, dinking around waiting to talk to the manager, talking to the manager and hoping he isn't a dick about it just to get a free oil change from the same effn place that effed up the last oil change. I still have over a year of free oil changes and I'm doing them myself anyway, mostly just to avoid the whole "going to the dealer" waste of time.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #45
grrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura about

grrillA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post
Check the engine bay after I have someone besides myself work on it I guess?
before I take the truck back from the dealer, I always give a walk around and open the hood and double check their work ( if possible ).

they are human
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #46
seedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant future

Name: norman
seedless024's Tacoma Gallery
i think you should take it back and make them aware. the only way to correct a fuck up on the techs part is if he knows he fucked up. what if you never took it back, he did it again to some other victi and the victim he did it to didnt notice and ruined something more important... thennnnn he might loose his job

im just sayin the tech cant "fix the problem" if he didnt know there was a problem to begin with. but he shouldnt loose his job over it.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #47
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedless024 View Post
i think you should take it back and make them aware. the only way to correct a fuck up on the techs part is if he knows he fucked up. what if you never took it back, he did it again to some other victi and the victim he did it to didnt notice and ruined something more important... thennnnn he might loose his job

im just sayin the tech cant "fix the problem" if he didnt know there was a problem to begin with. but he shouldnt loose his job over it.
This
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #48
TRD
Rodrigo is on a distinguished road

Name: Rodrigo
Rodrigo's Tacoma Gallery
Then again the tech should double check everything before closing the hood , ALWAYS. Its his job as a tech. What my master/instructor would always tell me. "In a rush or not it never hurts to double check under the hood, better that than having a customer coming back to chew you out".
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #49
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Then again the tech should double check everything before closing the hood , ALWAYS. Its his job as a tech.
Bingo

Had an exhaust leak in my '94. Manifold was warped. Dealer replaced it, I drove the truck home, next day went up Cajon Pass to visit a friend.
Noticed steam when I got off the freeway (it wasn't overheating).
The radiator cap was gone.

I found it, tucked between the head and the distributor.

ANY cap that I remove when I am working on a vehicle (and I never remove more than one cap at a time) gets placed on top of the hood latch.
I can't forget it because I can't close the hood without moving it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #50
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm guessing the tech couldn't find his Dunkin' Donuts cup and knows he left it in an engine compartment. Again.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #51
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosunday View Post
Haha I did this to myself one time. I was wasted though.
Hahaha that's awesome - well not really, but ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Cup, hose and a water bottle....

What makes the most sense though is to simply use an empty oil bottle saved from the last oil change.
You need to transfer the oil into a container for recycling anyways... can't just pitch the cup in the can.
^^^^ agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
There is oil trapped in the filter in the v6, it's even in the factory service manual to use something to catch the oil, that is why there is a drain hole with a nipple.
It seems to me, that this isn't something some poor schmuck shouldn't lose his job over.
I agree with phil I really don't think anyone would lose their job over this, especially because I keep hearing about this happening to other people. I'm not the type of person to go in their all angry and demanding, but as most people have said I will go into their and let them know, and just have them inspect the belts and make sure every thing is still in good condition. I haven't been yet because it's inconvenient going there - but I need to get my touch screen checked out because it's a little glitchy so why not bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
Andrew, what was the outcome??
Don't know yet, haven't had the time but I'm taking it in next weekend so I'll post what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR90125 View Post
I'm late to the thread, but I wouldn't waste my time going back to the dealer. Shit happens, but I can't think of anything they could offer that would make it worth my time driving back there, dinking around waiting to talk to the manager, talking to the manager and hoping he isn't a dick about it just to get a free oil change from the same effn place that effed up the last oil change. I still have over a year of free oil changes and I'm doing them myself anyway, mostly just to avoid the whole "going to the dealer" waste of time.
I think it's worth it. I checked it and everything looks fine but I spent too much $$ on this truck to not double/triple check everything, and if they hook up my next oil change in the process I'm not going to complain about it. I use synthetic so it always costs me a little extra even though I'm still within the free 2 year period.

I'm more interested to see what they would have to say about it at this point. If I can I prefer to do stuff on my truck myself, if its for anything off road I'll probably go to sierra expeditions or sdhq, or just set up a mod day; but with my warranties I know i'll still be going to the dealership once in a while and I want one that will at least own up to the mistake and give me good customer service so I'll keep coming back.

Quote:

So ya basically this^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Then again the tech should double check everything before closing the hood , ALWAYS. Its his job as a tech. What my master/instructor would always tell me. "In a rush or not it never hurts to double check under the hood, better that than having a customer coming back to chew you out".
And this^^ because it definitely shouldn't have been a rush job - they had my truck all day.

-
-
-
-
thanks for all the feedback dudes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #52
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I'm guessing the tech couldn't find his Dunkin' Donuts cup and knows he left it in an engine compartment. Again.
Hahah that was one of my first thoughts when I saw the cup, that guy was probably like SHhit! hahaha
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #53
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota 2013' TSBs

UPDATE:

Went to the dealership, I started hearing a high pitched hum in the belt - also noticed squeaking in my rear brakes; very loud when going down a hill under 5mph.

Had an appointment to have it looked at and asked for the service manager right away. Tempe Power Toyota

He came right over, i showed him the dunkin donuts cup that was shredded and he said they would replace the serpentine belt, note who made the mistake and check everything out. He took the truck out and onto the highway with me to double check the braking and make sure there wasn't anything else wrong. He also heard the whistle that I get when going 50+mph hours at times. He didn't at first but took it on a long drive to figure it out and duplicate the issue; even with people back at the dealership blowing up his phone. He personally wrote down everything in detail when we got back and it was all finished later that day.

Ultimately - they washed it, gave me the new belt, took advantage of 2 TSBs and replaced the rotors and rear braking system worth about $500 + ordered the new strip for the front grill that caused the whistling. All my research before going to the dealership didn't bring up any results about the TSBs being for 2013's, just 2012's but it sounds like it's rolled up until the newer models.

On a side note he also told me the same goes for the windshield wind noise TSB for the 2013's; they just replace it (this noise is much louder then the one that's caused by the grill). He was also was about to order a new replacement for my head unit because for two weeks it wouldn't work at startup. It was when it got pretty cold out here but it would take 15 minutes until the touch screen became responsive. This problem stopped a few days ago so I figured it wasn't worth it unless it acted up again.

Anyway - I just want to make anyone who reads this aware of my good experience at this dealership, and to take advantage of the 2013 TSBs if you have one and are having similar issues.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #54
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This all sounds about right
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #55
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
This all sounds about right
Lol thanks Phil
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #56
Peanut butter mini time

Well, the constant on this site is that the dealer is out to fuck you. That's the vibe I get from most users. Your response is exactly what most visits are with the dealer. You go in with an open mind, take the time to show and ride with the service adviser about your complaints, which in turn allow the tech to do his job right, thus allowing you to leave happy and pleased knowing your vehicle has been repaired.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #57
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Well, the constant on this site is that the dealer is out to fuck you. That's the vibe I get from most users. Your response is exactly what most visits are with the dealer. You go in with an open mind, take the time to show and ride with the service adviser about your complaints, which in turn allow the tech to do his job right, thus allowing you to leave happy and pleased knowing your vehicle has been repaired.
Truth ^^ why wouldn't they do everything possible to help me out? Especially while I'm still under warranty haha.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
I have always done my own maintenance on mine.
But to help you out, I took a piece of heater hose and connected it to the nipple underneath the oil filter and ran it down to the driver side wheel well, this way the oil will drain down through it.

Just take note, and now you know why people DIY
Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #59
Peanut butter mini time

Guess you didn read the update
Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #60
HandOfGod is on a distinguished road
HandOfGod's Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear the dealership took care of you.