R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Dealership Oil Change Fail: What should I do?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership Oil Change Fail: What should I do?

UPDATE:
UPDATE:

Went to the dealership, I started hearing a high pitched hum in the belt - also noticed squeaking in my rear brakes; very loud when going down a hill under 5mph.

Had an appointment to have it looked at and asked for the service manager right away. Tempe Power Toyota

He came right over, i showed him the dunkin donuts cup that was shredded and he said they would replace the serpentine belt, note who made the mistake and check everything out. He took the truck out and onto the highway with me to double check the braking and make sure there wasn't anything else wrong. He also heard the whistle that I get when going 50+mph hours at times. He didn't at first but took it on a long drive to figure it out and duplicate the issue; even with people back at the dealership blowing up his phone. He personally wrote down everything in detail when we got back and it was all finished later that day.

Ultimately - they washed it, gave me a the new belt, took advantage of 2 TSBs and replaced the rotors and rear braking system worth about $500 + ordered the new strip for the front grill that caused the whistling. All my research before going to the dealership didn't bring up any results about the TSBs being for 2013's, just 2012's but it sounds like it's rolled up until the newer models.

On a side note he also told me the same goes for the windshield wind noise TSB for the 2013's; they just replace it (this noise is much louder then the one that's caused by the grill). He was also was about to order a new replacement for my head unit because for two weeks it wouldn't work at startup. It was when it got pretty cold out here but it would take 15 minutes until the touch screen became responsive. This problem stopped a few days ago so I figured it wasn't worth it unless it acted up again.

Anyway - I just want to make anyone who reads this aware of my good experience at this dealership, and to take advantage of the 2013 TSBs if you have one and are having similar issues.

So I just had Toyota do my 15k service. I noticed a ticking sound in my engine that evening and thought it was a little strange. It seemed to only happen when I reversed and was pretty quiet so I didn't think much of it.

The next day I noticed it got louder, and worsened when my fan would kick on.

I made this video before I explored further.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r64IaeuHVBE

I starting looking under the engine and saw a little bit of smoke; immediately concerned I turned off the engine and popped the hood. This is what I found:

They had left a cup that caught the oil during the oil change, which slipped down next to my fan and started melting on the drive belt, spraying the old oil everywhere.

I'm about to bring her back to Toyota and I'm wondering how you guys would approach this.. what could have happened? Is this dangerous? Do you think I'm entitled to anything for this carelessness?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
You are entitled to having it fixed, nothing else. Youre in a truck not an airplane...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
You are entitled to having it fixed, nothing else. Youre in a truck not an airplane...
this...^^^

maybe an engine bay cleaning on them but about it..
Old 01-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
I don't often back the dealerships when they do stupid crap, but this seems like an honest mistake to me. You should just be glad they actually changed the oil.
I wouldn't even take it in myself. Just clean it up and count it a lesson learned.

Maybe just check the belt for damage.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
I don't often back the dealerships when they do stupid crap, but this seems like an honest mistake to me. You should just be glad they actually changed the oil.
I wouldn't even take it in myself. Just clean it up and count it a lesson learned.

What lesson is he supposed to learn here?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
The lesson learned is inspect your shit after anyone else touches it or do the work yourself.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check the engine bay after I have someone besides myself work on it I guess?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Other than making a mess, this little screw up of theirs shouldn't have caused any damage. I would take it back and at least have them clean up the mess they made.

If they've got their customer service attitude in order, they may even give you a complementary oil change for your next visit.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The lesson learned is inspect your shit after anyone else touches it or do the work yourself.
And the only reason I don't bother doing it myself for now is because the first 2 years are included guess that's what I get

Quote:

True true, if I hadn't had it detailed 2 days ago I would bring it in to have it cleaned up at least - although my touch screen display is being buggy so I need to go in anyway. I'll probably still mention it though
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick responses guys I feel better about it now haha - and it's good to know nothing serious could have happened. I was worried there would be melted plastic on the belt or something
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Always ! I have had my fair share of crappy dealership issues.
I always mark my oil filter and inspect anything they may have touched before leaving the lot . The only reason I go in for the oil change is because it's free.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Always ! I have had my fair share of crappy dealership issues.
I always mark my oil filter and inspect anything they may have touched before leaving the lot . The only reason I go in for the oil change is because it's free.
Taking notes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post
Taking notes
i've had stuff stolen so i take pictures of everything and if its for an oil change i mark the filter to make sure they didnt reuse it
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I would bring it to the attention of the service adviser that you dealt with. I think you are entitled to get your engine bay cleaned, as well as the under carriage where the oil has probably blown back.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
i've had stuff stolen so i take pictures of everything and if its for an oil change i mark the filter to make sure they didnt reuse it
Stolen??? Like what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I would bring it to the attention of the service adviser that you dealt with. I think you are entitled to get your engine bay cleaned, as well as the under carriage where the oil has probably blown back.
Maybe I'll get an IOU cus I already had it cleaned
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
^cleaned it after the recent wading incident? =-)

What dealership was this? Power Tempe?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
^cleaned it after the recent wading incident? =-)

What dealership was this? Power Tempe?
hahaha yess - and yess
Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod06 View Post
this...^^^
maybe an engine bay cleaning on them but about it..
This. They COULD be asked to clean the oil and perhaps change the drive belt.
Quote:

That's honestly what I would do... but then again, I would not have had the problem in the first place.
Quote:
And this is why I would not have had the problem in the first place... I would have done the work myself.
Quote:
Quote:
Check the engine bay after I have someone besides myself work on it I guess?
Or this... shouldn't have to, may as well just do it yourself and you know it's done right.
Quote:
And the only reason I don't bother doing it myself for now is because the first 2 years are included guess that's what I get
Mehh... The only thing included is oil changes. Any other "maintenance" is going to consist of inspections only. If anything is found wrong, you're going to have to pay for it.
So basically, your "free" oil changes are really valued at no more than $200-$300 or so, figuring $35 for a 6-pack of Mobil-1 and $4.50 for a Toyota Filter.
Get a Fumoto drain valve, and with the filter on top of the engine like that, you can change your oil wearing a white shirt and not get it dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
This.
Even if you clean it up yourself, definitely call the service manager. He needs to know.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stolen??? Like what??

Maybe I'll get an IOU cus I already had it cleaned
i had my cb (that i just bought from frys electronics still in the box and bag) and a bottle of cologne. bought tires during the buy 3 get one free deal and it took them 6 hours to mount and balance 4 tires. went to install the cb about a week and a half later and realized my shit was missing. (i basically live out of my truck) and so i went back to the dealership to report it and what i got back was "why didn't you notice it was gone right away? we can't do anything for you now." Gave them a big F U and haven't used the service department since. the one time i dont use discount tire i get fucked.