R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Am I crazy for missing my stock wheels??

Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
karmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Am I crazy for missing my stock wheels??

I just put these guys on my truck after 3 months of owning my new 14' Tacoma.

I love the look but for some reason, I miss my old TRD alloys. The other mods like color matched grill surround and rear bumper I just love. I do think it looks better with the KMC's but they are real close to rubbing at full lock on the front flaps. If I stayed stock 70's I would have been ok, but I went with 75's a month or so ago and now I am close.

I was going to keep the stock TRD alloys on my truck but when Discount Tire installed my Cooper ATP's, they scratched up my stock rims pretty bad. They actually mounted weight on the outside, one rim had them 1/4 of the way around, it was silly. When I got my survey, I mentioned that I was not happy with the outer weights, so the manager called to make it right.

He told me to come down and they re balanced my tires and added weight on the inside, which now showed up more scratches from the weights they added. He basically told me he would pay to refinish them or use that money towards new rims. Well, I decided to get some new black KMC's.

I love the look, but man, I just want my old stock alloys back. They are sitting in my garage, scraped up and all. I think they will make their way back on my truck soon. I do not want a lift and I do not want to rub while off roading. My KMC's are so new, I have not had time to even take them off the road.

So, what do you all think? Am I just overthinking this one or what? Anyone want a good deal on some new KMC's???????
Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure someone would be happy to trade with you.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
JDM is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
JDM's Tacoma Gallery
Around here, there's always a dozen ads for the TRD alloys. Some prices are pretty good too. I'm watching the market, as I'll have a set to sell in the coming months.

Maybe look for one or two of them on CL to replace the really scratched up ones (or are they all scratched? yikes if they are), and sell the KMCs. It's your truck, so go with what will make you happy. Maybe someone out there would want to trade you their new looking stock alloys for your KMCs.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
karmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Around here, there's always a dozen ads for the TRD alloys. Some prices are pretty good too. I'm watching the market, as I'll have a set to sell in the coming months.

Maybe look for one or two of them on CL to replace the really scratched up ones (or are they all scratched? yikes if they are), and sell the KMCs. It's your truck, so go with what will make you happy. Maybe someone out there would want to trade you their new looking stock alloys for your KMCs.

Good luck with whatever you do.

It is only one of them that is pretty scratched up, and to be honest, it does not bother me. The other 3 have a little mark were Toyota mounted outer a outer eight, and all stock alloys will have this.

What people don't realize is that once you buy some perfect, brand new take offs you are going to have some kind of mark when the shop removes the OEM weight and re balances them.

I personally don't care about the scratches, I did not even complain to Discount, I just mentioned it in their survey. That is what started all of this.

Now I feel like a 41 year old dude trying to be 20 with my black rims.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
i think the wheels look great. at first i thought you were RearviewMirror's truck. just keep the old wheels around with another set of tires on them (winter, off road, highway driving etc.) and buy and nice jack and jack stands. just switch them back and forth whenever ya want.