1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gold Prospecting/Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by GoldenGeek, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Jan 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    GoldenGeek

GoldenGeek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    :/
    So I moved to AZ last year from California and I'm getting the gold fever again. I've prospected in many parts of California and some in AZ so now I want to establish a somewhat regular outing before it gets too damn hot.

I'll probably be using a dry wash and pans until I can afford a metal detector. Metal detectors are usually the best way to go out here in AZ because there just haven't been the constant river streams that will concentrate the gold like in California. So it's no uncommon here to have a "good" day of metal detecting and finding 3-5 (wheatberry sized and up) nuggets in a day.

If anyone has experience looking up information at BLM offices (topo maps, sections, mining claims) that would help since my hours at work are pretty much set. Besides joining a gold club that already have claims, I thought looking up the information ourselves could work. If it's too difficult we can just join a club.

As for trips, I usually try to just make it a day trip but we could combine an outing with a camping trip or something some weekend as well.

If anyone likes the thought of an adventure let me know here. I will try to update this thread as trips and efforts need to be coordinated.

Update 1/20/2015:

ZERO Experience required!

I want to make this clear that all are welcome, this is for all people who want to have an adventure, hang out, and have some good fun/beer/whatever as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Jan 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    GoldenGeek

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bump... sometimes you find stuff this big:

[​IMG]

other times it's the smaller chunkies:
    [​IMG]

3. Jan 25, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    oldmancrash

oldmancrash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maurice (Morris)
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I am looking forward to some gold panning on my overlanding adventures this summer. Just not sure what equipment I might take LOL

4. Jan 25, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    oldmancrash

Member:
    First Name:
    Maurice (Morris)
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I would not know what to do if I came across something that big in your pan. I sold my minelab 705 a couple years ago but think I might grab another one this summer. A buddy and I were going to go to AZ during Christmas last year and prospect for a week or so. Dont even know why we didnt do it. My plans are lots of overlanding this summer and hopefully hitting lots of creeks along the way

5. Jan 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    GoldenGeek

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    well if you're ever in the Tucson area, let me know!

My dad and I used to have a minelab sd2200 and sold it recently. it was a wondrous piece of equipment, but those things pick up way too much for where we were.

We traded it and some fines for a claim up in Oregon.

6. Jan 25, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    oldmancrash

Member:
    First Name:
    Maurice (Morris)
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I use to live in Apache junction back in 2000-2002. To bad I wasnt into prospecting back then. So have you had much luck in Oregon? I use the club claims here. But think I am going to venture out a little this summer here by the house and see if I can find something. Actually found a few creeks this hunting season I hope to go hit up.

Products Discussed in

To Top