R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Knock in steering wheel?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
macbass is on a distinguished road
macbass's Tacoma Gallery
Knock in steering wheel?

I was wondering if any of you guys had the same problem I have with my Taco. I know what the problem is. I have removed the round plastic cover under the dash mounted to the firewall I guess and investigated the knock I hear on rough roads. I have back home in Ga. Taken it to the dealer and they have replaced the what I call union. With a brand new union with those special one time use bolts. But from what my buddy tells me it is just a flaw in the design and there is no safety concerns. They actually replaced it and the knock went away but sure enough not a month later it was doing the same thing. If there is anyone else out there that may have gotten this issue resolved would you mind sharing. It is very annoying and I find myself taking it real easy on rocky roads with pot holes and that sort of thing. But dude I have a toyota tacoma it shouldn't be doing this. But if toyota isn't going to fix it then why worry about going thru the trouble if a month later I will be in the same boat? I can literally grab the steering column under the dash......feel, see, and hear the knock.

And we all know how rough the roads are here in AZ.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I have the same thing, it's annoying but the fix isn't really high on my list of things to mess with...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ering+Clunking

There was a lot of investigation, good read.