1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arizona Camping

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by ShtrMcGavin, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    ShtrMcGavin

ShtrMcGavin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver 05 DBL Cab LB 4x4
    3" Lift, spidertrax 1.25" spacers all around
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/52577-aztw-camping-trip.html

A bunch of us went here a few months ago and it was a lot of fun but much more of a desert than fossil springs

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    hey thanks guys.

3. Jul 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Streamline

Streamline Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Looking for one!
    This place looks awesome. Do you guys know if dogs are allowed? And are you allowed to swim everywhere or just certain areas? Thanks guys! Tyler

4. Jul 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    I don't think Dogs are allowed anymore. At least I never saw one dog when I was out there on the 4th weekend.

5. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    Bump for the season being right around the corner!
    Anyone know of some good lakes around the rim area that aren't as crowded as woods canyon?

6. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Knoll Lake
    Bear Canyon Lake

Both are only about 8-10 miles down Rim Rd., due west of Woods Canyon Lake.

A group of us are going to Knoll Lake for a long weekend on June 1:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/210780-camping-knoll-lake-may.html

7. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Peoria
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 4x4 AT
    Stock for now
    Lot of good links in here.

8. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    x20934820384023984

There is no water, at all...

9. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    There aren't any bad spots to camp in this area around Woods Canyon Lake. I usually go on the back side of bear canyon lake North, but have also gone up to Chevelon Canyon lake and all over. Some of the prettiest rim country in AZ.

10. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    What's nice about Arizona is that there are so many places to go camping all around the state especially on or near the rim. Just south of Williams there are plenty of spots all the way to Sycamore canyon. Fossil Springs is good and anything just East of 87 near Pine along the fire control road. There are plenty of places along the 87 from the rim up to clints well, blue ridge. There are places along Mormon Lake Road into Flag. Pinal Mountain near Globe has a few camping campgrounds. At the top yu can see Phoenix and even Tucson lights at night. Mt. Lemon even has areas to camp. Areas around Greer that haven't been burned from recent fires is has plenty of places. Even the Northwest side of San Fancisco Peaks has some nice areas.

11. Apr 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    snowtank

snowtank Where the fuck did my beer go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    ^^this. I usually camp either of these places. I like knoll cause sllot of people tend to not want to travel that far back. I thought knoll is about 22 miles back from woods canyon lake and bear canyon lake is like 18 miles tho. I could be wrong. The drive goes pretty fast now cause i have done it so many times. Im just trying to remember what the signs say.

12. Apr 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Anyone interested in going camping anytime between april 21st-28th. Up on the rim back near knoll lake or bear canyon or both?

13. Apr 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light

I'm down for some camping either near those rim lakes or maybe closer to you near the east or west fork of the Black river

14. Apr 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yeah sounds good. I have never gone out and explored the black river. I know the rim well thats why i tend to go that way.

15. Apr 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light

I know the rim well as well, but there tends to be more people there than I like. With the east and west forks of the Black, they get some pressure (fishing) and lots of people camp there but no where near the amount of idiots from Phx that the rim area tends to get.

16. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yeah thats why head all the way back near knoll lake. But im game for checking out the black river. I just read the fishing regs on it. Seems pretty cool.

17. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The black river is legit. I don't know if it's fishing has fully recovered from the fire though. Went there a few years back and we would put 30 smallies out of one hole.

18. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:

You are talking about the main stem of the Black and quite a bit farther south. No the main stem of the Black has not even begun to recover. The east and the west forks still contain some wild browns as well as stocker bow's, but I'm not sure if they have started stocking yet.

Andrew if you are interested in fishing we could also hit Silver Creek. Now it's open to bait fishing and catch & release regs are lifted until October.

19. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver creek is litterally less than a block from my house. I walk there to fish. It just opened april first.

20. Apr 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Would love to but it's still a bit early. Got alot going on this month. There was still ice on the lakes last week, but that should be melting down pretty good and the holdover trout should be hitting. Good chance to get some big browns before they tourists come pluck them out with their bobbers.

Probably looking at getting back out there in May and then probably again in July when the crawdads are out (I have a handful of good traps and that time of year you can catch them by the hundreds and have a huge crawdad boil)

Knoll Lake is still my favorite because there are some places back there that get away from the campsites and you don't have anyone else to contend with. Camping is great, and you walk 200' downhill to the lake and fish. Room for about a dozen trucks and tents, but high clearance recommended.

Products Discussed in

To Top