1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Grand Canyon Camping trip

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by SteelRain, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Benca1,
    I did not make it to the bottom of the Canyon (I'm a fat ass now and my knees would give out the hike down). I would love to see Havasu falls some time, so needless to say I'm working on shedding about 50 lbs to be around 185-190. I love it there and been in Arizona since 1986.

Cankel,
    Arizona is such a diverse state. The desert is great in the winter time and you're only a few hours from the mountains with snow (when it does). Also the beach is only a half day drive from here too. I love the Grand Canyon and the Mather campgrounds. Definitely worth your while to visit. I you're going to camp, I'd reccommend at least 2 nights to really take it all in. I'd stay 2 weeks at a time if I could. Each day the view can be different. The Canyon walls almost seem to change colors as you progress through the day. It's a great place to visit..but then again all the National Parks I've visited were great. Btw..I've got a brother who lives outside of Austin in Georgetown. I really like visiting Texas.

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Oh yeah..the Skywalk is NOT affiliated with the National Parks system and is run by the Halupai (pardon spelling) Tribe. It's anywhere from $65-$90 to experience and I've heard there is a waiting list. It's also way west of the South Rim on their Reservation.

3. Dec 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Gunga

Gunga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad DC 4x4

benca1, you're talking about Havasupai. It's west of the South Rim, on the reservation. Two totally different places. I've been to the bottom in both places. Havasupai is an easier hike. It's mostly flat (11 miles or so) except for the first (or last on the way out) 1 mile. A horse takes your camping gear down so you're just carrying your water.
    The hike to Phantom Ranch from the south rim is more difficult but worth the trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top