1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Virgin run on my Tacoma...

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Masada, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    So I was thinking in the next few weekends or so I was going to go take my Taco out for it's first 4x4 excursion. I was thinking about going to the Rolls OHV area and then to the 4 Peaks and then around to Lake Roosevelt and back through the Apache trail.

Has anyone done this in the last few weeks or months? Will my stock Tacoma do fine?

Cant wait to get dirty :):mudding:

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Going along the main 4 peaks service roads should be ok... I did it last year (granted it doesn't take long to change conditions) with my Prerunner with no issues. Never used the locker either. However, I was stupid going alone... definitely recommend having another vehicle with you.. never know what may happen. Heads up it took me about 6 hours or so casually going through 4-peaks to Roosevelt from hwy 87. There are markers but you could get lost fairly quick from several diversions.

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    Masada

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    all i have are the Forest Service Road Numbers. I plan on starting early and getting back before dark...

But here are the Forest Service road numbers (I work for Tonto Natl Frst SO :) so I have maps lol) starting from AJ; take bush hwy to FS 13 (rolls OHV Area) follow that until intersects with FS143 then up the FS401 and then have lunch and back around to the FS143 again following that North around the base of 4 peaks to the 188 and down south the the Apache trail to home base.

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    When I get a chance after work I'll map out on google the route I took as best I can. Some of those FR roads sound about right though. I'd recommend going only one way though (either from hwy 87 to roosevelt, or the other way) and take primary roads back home. If trail condition are a little out of wack, you probably wouldn't get home until about midnight unless you started at 6am on the trail.

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Masada

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I called up the Mesa Ranger district and asked them how things look out there. And the front liner (I did some training with her) said that things were good the last time she went out a few weeks ago.

I may go to 4 peaks and check the time, depening on how long it takes continue on or just come back down. Don't know yet, but my main concern was that my stock taco would handle the road just fine.

Kyouto42 - thanks I would appreciate it.

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Hey we got back to you :p Also we made it to both coves and back so buah.

One thing about butcher jones though is a higher potential for pin stripes than most of 4 peaks... so that's one downside.

I'm gunna be back 12-16th I may (not sure yet) be avail for a run if you have weekdays off. I wouldn't mind doing the 4 peaks loop again.

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Masada

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ya, i'm not about the pin stripping yet so Butcher Jones may have to wait. Unfortunately I work Monday through Friday 8-4:30 so weekends are my only time to play. But, I plan on more excursions out to the areas near Phx. So I will post more when I plan them :)

Products Discussed in

To Top