1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive Shaft Shop - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by azTRD, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    azTRD

azTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been trying to get rid of my drive line vibrations and think the next step is to try a one piece drive shaft.

The first thing I tried was to drop the carrier bearing. This helped reduce the severity of the vibrations but I still had vibrations at ~20mph.

The next thing I tried was to put 3 deg shims in under the leafs, which moved the vibrations from ~20mph to down to ~5mph and I only get the vibrations when I take off from a complete stop.

I'm thinking I could try a different shim angle, but I don't want to be taking a stab in the dark in hopes it will work. Dropping the springs and putting in a new shim in isn't that difficult, but it's still enough of a pita for a shot in the dark.

So my next thought is to go down the road of a one piece drive shaft. I came across Mesa Drive Shafts (http://www.mesadriveshaft.com/) and was wondering if anyone had experience with them or had a recommendation to another shop.

Thanks.

2. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    azTRD

Member:
  3. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Last time I checked, there was a driveshaft place near dowtown...I cant remember the name though.

4. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I think its Phoenix Rack & Axle.....

5. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    azTRD

Member:
    Thanks Chris... I'll give them a call.

6. Oct 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    tom woods customer service though is great. someoneo over at toyotanation bought a tom woods and their vibrations didnt go away, they got a full refund from what they said

7. Oct 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    Zac

Zac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    tucson
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    3-4 inch lift
    have you looked at the transmission mount and or the carrier bearings that is wheremy vibrations were coming from

8. Oct 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I haven't looked at the tranny mount, but I have dropped the carrier bearing. I'm taking it into a shop today... when it's on the lift I'll inspect the drive line again. I can't see it being the trans mount, but I guess you never know.

9. Oct 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I agree. Dealing with something like this... I'd much rather deal with someone locally and work through getting it corrected.

10. Oct 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I gave these guys a call and they seem to be very knowledgeable. They do drive shafts for lifted trucks on a daily basis and will work with me to make sure the vibrations are fixed. He gave me some ballpark figures and they seem to be quite a bit cheaper then TW.

They have a one day turn around and I like the fact that they are local. I'm going to give these guys a shot and I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again Chris for the recommendation.

11. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    No problem. They do great work, as I have had one and a friend has in the past. Smart folks at that place.

12. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    azTRD

Member:
    I had my one piece drive shaft made on Friday by Phoenix Rack and Axle, so I thought I would share my experience. I don't like to post prices on forums, so if you're interested in what my cost was, feel free to send me a PM.

I brought my truck down to them last week to have them look at my drive shaft. The double cab drive shaft is roughly 67" long, if it was more then 72" it could have been a problem (meaning that the drive shaft diameter would need to be bigger, which could have interfered with the carrier bearing bracket and possibly the gas tank). Luckily we don't need to go down that road.

After they looked at my truck I was quoted a price for a single cardan drive line. I asked if I needed a double cardan (because I've seen a number of people on this forum say they wished they bought a double cardan), but they said my drive line angle didn't require a double cardan. They went on to tell me that if the single cardan drive line doesn't work they would NOT charge me for it and would make a double cardan if necessary.

Bernie was the one that made my drive line (really good guy who likes to be funny). When I called down there Friday afternoon to see if it was ready, I was told it wouldn't be ready until Monday. When I got a little worked up for them not being done in a day and that I would be without my truck for the weekend I was put on hold for about a minute... then they came back and said "actually it wont be done until Tuesday..." WHAT!?!? Then I hear several guys laughing in the back ground... "we're just busting your stones, your drive shaft is done and ready to be picked up". Like I said Bernie likes to be funny. I like to joke too... I have to admit... that was pretty good.

Long story short... it was a one day turn around (I dropped my two piece off at 8am and I picked up the one piece at 5pm). They didn't have the right flanges in house so they used the ones from my two piece drive shaft, which they kept.

My one piece fixed my vibrations, so obviously I'm happy about that, but they were going to work with me until the vibrations were fixed and not charge me for a drive line that didn't work... that's good customer service. I didn't have to go down that road so I don't know how that would go, but from my experience... I was very happy with them and would recommend these guys if you're thinking about a one piece.

Thanks again Chris for the recommendation.

13. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Glad to hear! I have yet to get a complaint from these guys, and havent hear of a truck they havent been able to fix. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top