Notices

Desert shooting near Mesa

Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
I'd rather eat dirt
AZ11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shaun
AZ11's Tacoma Gallery
Desert shooting near Mesa

I couldn't find anything on here about places to shoot in the desert near Mesa/Tempe. My friends and I are responsible shooters and we always pick up our targets and spent casings. We are looking for a good, legal place to do some handgun target shooting in the area. I know there are "no shooting" sings at Butcher Jones but are there any areas around there that we could go to? Anywhere else?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
ROADHOG will become famous soon enoughROADHOG will become famous soon enough
ROADHOG's Tacoma Gallery
Sycamore creek.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have shot up in the 4 Peaks area.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
heroin?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Table Mesa is a cool place too off the I-17
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
SunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
SunDevilTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Route 188 east of Tortilla Flat isn't bad, but you might need to take a short hike to get to a safe spot.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
There's some areas east of Apache junction, just remember to not target shoot on State Trustland, it's illegal. Out off of Hewitt Station road about 2 miles in there's a turn off on Forest Service Road, that's National Forest land. Stay outta the Spillway in Queen Valley, we've been told by our Lieutenant to start ENFORCING the "No Tresspassing" laws there.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
There's some areas east of Apache junction, just remember to not target shoot on State Trustland, it's illegal. Out off of Hewitt Station road about 2 miles in there's a turn off on Forest Service Road, that's National Forest land. Stay outta the Spillway in Queen Valley, we've been told by our Lieutenant to start ENFORCING the "No Tresspassing" laws there.
So, I'm a little confused. What exactly is defined as state trustland? Tonto does not fall into this correct (as I believe it's fed right?) Is BLM land the state trustland? Thanks...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
So, I'm a little confused. What exactly is defined as state trustland? Tonto does not fall into this correct (as I believe it's fed right?) Is BLM land the state trustland? Thanks...
No Tonto does not fall into the state trust land. We are under the Federal Gov, (USDA to be specific).

Here is a map of location that are off limits. Anywhere other than the grey area is ok. PM me if you would like some more detail OP.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recrea...ing_orders.pdf
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
You also can tell properly marked State Trust land by the little white signs. They're about 14 inches tall and 8 inches wide. It will most likely state, "No Tresspassing, State Trust Land", with a list of rules and regs. Some areas, if you have a State Trust Land recreational use permit, you can use the land but not for target shooting. Look in thr blue page section of the phone book for State Trust Land. The permits are around $20 for the year I believe. If you have a valid hunting permit and are actively hunting, you do not need the permit though.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
I'd rather eat dirt
AZ11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shaun
AZ11's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot for the info guys! Keep it coming, some of this state trust/BLM/national forest stuff is a bit confusing. I've been looking for some good maps too so if you know of any links let me know. Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
heroin?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Wow Chris, the guys sound a little concerned. Is there something you'd like to disclose to me or am I needing to show up at the next Meet and Greet with a Vehicle Search Warrant.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
Wow Chris, the guys sound a little concerned. Is there something you'd like to disclose to me or am I needing to show up at the next Meet and Greet with a Vehicle Search Warrant.
....You'll never catch me Copper!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Table Mesa is a cool place too off the I-17
x2

That is where I have gone.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
bumping up an old thread but i haven't been out in the desert shooting in many years, usually just pick up a yearly deal at the local range but figured maybe i'd get out for a while in the upcoming weeks. Where are the best, safest spots in the East valley these days? PM me if you don't wish to post the info.

I'm just looking to get out with the gal. We're responsible, clean and pretty quick, like... not out there for hours, fcking around.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I hope this is a no brainer, but police up your brass and whatever else you took up there. I see more shit laying around the desert from shooters..and it drives me nuts...and I like to shoot!!

I spend more time at ranges these days. Shooting in the desert, while fun and without pesky range restrictions, also leads to destruction. Also consider the amount of lead you leave behind.....