1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud Flap Law

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by RPain, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    RPain

RPain [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    I really want to take my mud flaps off but my dad won't let me because of the "mud flap laws" in arizona. Can anyone clarify for me what they are?

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    Google is a wonderful thing.

A.R.S. Section 28-958.01 sets forth Arizona's mud flap law:
    28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section. B. The splash guards: 1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles. 2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground. 3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected. 4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material. 5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material. 6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions. C. This section does not apply to: 1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck. 2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle. 3. A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground

I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if I'm reading this correctly you should be fine. Last time I checked DC Tacomas aren't 3/4 ton pickups, but if you've lifted it you'll need them. I leave mine on so I don't give Johnny Law a reason to look at me twice. Your choice though, so don't come back to me if you get pinched.

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    RPain

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Link to build in sig
    does a 2003 double cab have a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less?
    I feel dumb asking this ha

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Yes.

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    And as long as you don't lift it you would be legal to run with out the flaps.

6. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    i live in Arizona too, i took my mud flaps off and have 35" mud grapplers and i've never had any issues

7. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Tex4141

Tex4141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Lemoore
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport
    None yet......trying to figure out where to start ;)
    But still.... an 03' Taco is LESS than a 3/4 ton. SO... keep the stock height, and you will have no problems. But if you put ANY lift on it, just keep the flaps on. Simple.

8. Mar 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    As for 2nd gens, they'll probably hit you up with prerunner height and not having it as well... I've known several people get hit by it. Still, I hate people that don't run rears because I do like my windshield.

9. Mar 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    RPain

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Link to build in sig
    yeah I think im going to take my front ones off and keep the rears

10. Mar 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    AZM9

AZM9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ARE tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, Leaf TSB, and Trans TSB, Satoshi grille.
    I like having them on both front and rear. I like my paint and they look good anyway.

11. Mar 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    Thanks for doing the research Doug. I'm just running rears.

12. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    You're welcome Juan.

13. Mar 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    RPain

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Link to build in sig
    thanks all of you

14. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Under A.R.S. Section 28-958.01, SunDevilTacoma is correct. If you left it, keep the bottom of the mud flaps no more than 8 inches from the ground and the width of the tire..The violation is good probable cause for a traffic stop. Most likely you'll simply get a repair order. If you are stopped multiple times by the same Officer or have a rude attitude you MAY get issued a citation...most of us don't have 'em though...yes even me.

15. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    Well that was pretty helpful. I was thinking about taking mine off not too long ago, but I sure am glad that I read this.

16. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    Bones308

Bones308 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    2006 Tacoma Double cab TRD V6 4x4 K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust 285/75/16 Tires yes its a 6 SPEED!!!
    well, if you do take them off just dont drive anywhere in Scottsdale and you should be fine. I live in Scottsdale and I used to own a 95 taco that I had lifted 6 inches and some freaking skirt cop pulls me over for not having mud flapps and she gives me the damn ticket! $150 bucks I think it was I couldnt believe it, damn cops in Scottsdale don't have shit to do so they look for shit to pull you over for, I hate it. :mad:

17. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    Believe it or else, I received a ticket back in 1999 for having "Illegal mudflaps!" I still have the carbon copy somewhere. I had an '88 regular cab, 4 inch lift and 33x14.5 Mickey Thompson's. The 84-88 toyota 4x4s had massive stock mudflaps but I still was ticketed because my tires stuck out past the body of the vehicle. I fought it in court and the ticket was dropped but I still had to shell out 30-some dollars for court costs! Bastards!

Products Discussed in

To Top