R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Phoenix area pistol shooter beginners?

View Poll Results: Interested in Phoenix area pistol class?
Yes! 9 37.50%
I might be interested 6 25.00%
No, not interested 1 4.17%
This poll does not apply to me 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Phoenix area pistol shooter beginners?

Alright, well the thread below gave me an idea that I thought I would share and see if there is any interest. This idea is only 10 minutes old, so if there is any interest, we can refine it though some discussion. If not, then oh well.

I was originally reading this thread when Keason1* gave a pointer about follow through on your trigger press. Although he admitted that he was new to pistol shooting, the first thought that crossed my mind was how can you be shooting a pistol without this basic knowledge. I quickly realized how foolish I was and that I was exactly the same way when I bought my first handgun. I began thinking back on all of the "basic" firearm knowledge that I have learned through my training and it really gave me a sense of how little I really knew when I bought my first pistol. I mean I knew the mechanics of how to make it go bang, but everything else was self taught (which can lead to bad habits).

I was thinking about this and how much I take for granted everything I've learned in my hundreds of hours of training when the idea hit me. Not everyone wants to shell out their hard earned cash for a basic firearms class even though they should (imo). I know I didn't, but I didn't know how much I was really missing until I had the training. This all leads to my point. This site is created for people to share their knowledge and help fellow taco owners out. Well the area which I could do that in is shooting. Now I am not an expert by any means, but what I am talking about here is just basic stuff. Things every pistol owner should know before they hit the range and start developing bad habits.

So if there is interest, I would maybe recruit a second person to help teach and then maybe we could put on a little tacoworld pistol class. This would be for anyone who is new to shooting or wants to learn more before buying a pistol. We could cover whatever topics the class wanted and then if logistically possible, get some range time in so we could practice our good marksmanship skills and try out some new guns.

Possible topics to cover based on interest:

Marksmanship (shooting accurately)

Types of pistols
Types of holsters
Concealed Carry
Relative Arizona laws
Combat/Tactical considerations
Etc...

Two parting thoughts:

1. I didn't realize how long winded I would be on this, sorry
2. I am not a certified instructor, so if you are looking for a CCW qualifying class, this is not it.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
I just added a poll
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
This could be a good idea.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I guess I could help instruct or at least show up and shoot stuff.
BAH!! What do YOU know about shooting?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested, especially if there was some ISPC/Practical training or info
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

I think if anyone is serious about shooting well, they should look into this place:

http://www.gunsite.com/
Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
I'd be interested, especially if there was some ISPC/Practical training or info
All of my training is in combat and tactical applications, however we could do some research and present some info, or better yet find someone to come talk about it. Good idea.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta 12 gauge...I don't need to aim!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I might be interested, been tossing the idea around of getting something since unemployment keeps going up and I go out to the desert quite a bit now...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Flynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynn Diesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Flynn Diesel's Tacoma Gallery
I am a firearms marksmanship and tactical instructor as well as a Beretta and Sig Arms armorer. I would be happy to assist anyone who is serious about improving their skills.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Diesel View Post
I am a firearms marksmanship and tactical instructor as well as a Beretta and Sig Arms armorer. I would be happy to assist anyone who is serious about improving their skills.
I have a friend who is a certified instructor who could help if needed too.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have a friend who is a certified instructor who could help if needed too.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think if anyone is serious about shooting well, they should look into this place:

http://www.gunsite.com/
I thought the idea was to make this cost effective for the local guys?

If I had the money to hit up gunsite, I wouldn't need training lol ...
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
I thought the idea was to make this cost effective for the local guys?

If I had the money to hit up gunsite, I wouldn't need training lol ...
My bad.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't need much training on gun safety or shooting but i'm down to come out and blow shit up
Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #20

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
So it sounds like maybe a two parter. A class portion for anyone who wants to start with basic instruction, and a shooting portion for the class plus everyone else who wants to join. The class portion could be dropped if there isn't enough interest.

Now for the shooting part, we would have to figure out if there is a range out there that would work for us, unless anyone knows a good place in the desert to shoot. I am not sure on this one since I have not shot at a public range since I have moved here.