1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volunteering at St. Marys Food Bank

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Bretsuaz48, May 18, 2010.

1. May 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    About once a month, I volunteer at the St. Marys Food Bank in Phoenix. I Always have a good time, and have met alot of really nice people. We usually work from 8-11 a.m. and spend most of our time filling boxes with food in an assembly line fashion.

I believe St. Marys is the largest food bank in the country and serves many people in Arizona. Not only is it fun, but it is rewarding to know that you are helping those in need. This is especially true during these tough economic times. 1 in 12 seniors, 1 in 12 adults, and 1 in 5 children live below the poverty level. Many of these children will only get the food provided to them at school. Many of these people would go to bed hungry at nite, if not for the food bank.

I will be volunteering this saturday, 5/22. There is room for a couple of people to join us if they would like. If there is enough interest, we can schedule a future date for a saturday in the future as well. Thought we could go to lunch somewhere afterwards.

The food bank is located off of 31st Avenue and Thomas, in Phoenix.

If we get enough interest, we could start doing volunteer work on a regular basis. We could plan a quarterly meet and change up the organizations we help out. Maybe help habitat for humanity with the construction of a house, walk dogs at the Humane Society, etc... Any suggestions would be welcome!

Kenny, this would be an awesome time to show off the groups shirts at these events.

Just thought I would toss this out there. I have met alot of nice people already from this forum, and thought it would be a good idea to get something going.

Regards,
    Bret

2. May 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    SLOCOMA

SLOCOMA Your Toyota Parts Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    kenny
    ARI-ZO-NA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD PRERUNNER
    Only a few selected members will receive em. But I think we all should get involved only because we (as a group) didnt do much during the holidays..

3. May 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    Bretsuaz48

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    Volunteered at the food bank on Saturday. We bagged up about 14,000 lbs. of food! I will let everyone know when I am going again incase someone would like to join me.

Bret

4. May 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    I've never been to Saint Mary's. I have done some volunteering at Saint Vincent De Paul and Paz de Cristo though.

5. May 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    Cool. I want to go to St. Vincent de Paul. I have a friend who volunteers there on Sundays. She enjoys it and has met alot of nice people. Many people have just fallen on hard times, lost their job or have health issues and just need a little help. It really puts things into perspective.

6. May 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Bretsuaz48

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    Just saw this clip on Az Central this morning. I gave them a call to see if they needed any help. They said they are holding their own at this time, but will give me a call. I left them my contact information.

If something materializes, I will post it up here in case anyone would like to join me.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/88581437001

Products Discussed in

To Top