1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

69 cars involved in crashes on I-10 Sat. night

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Packman73, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    "Involved" that is...

Multiple collisions involving 69 vehicles jammed westbound Interstate 10 on Saturday evening in downtown Phoenix.
    Seven people were taken to area hospitals, two in serious condition. Phoenix Fire officials say they medically evaluated at least 40 people at the scene.

[​IMG] Photos from the wrecks
    Arizona Department of Public Safety officials attributed the crashes to the thunderstorms that swept through the Phoenix area around 6 p.m.
    "The rain came down hard and fast," said Sgt. Robert Bailey, a DPS spokesman.
    One collision alone involved 35 vehicles and spanned over 2 ½ miles from 16th to 7th streets, according to Phoenix Fire officials.
    Bailey said "dozens and dozens" of calls to 911 were received in a 15 minute span, starting around 6:15 p.m.
    "This is all definitely weather related," he said. "It caught a lot of drivers by surprise."
    Bailey compared the collisions to frequent dust storm crashes: "People are driving freeway speeds without slowing down. It's like a big chain reaction."
    Still, many were surprised that there weren't more serious injuries on the stretch of freeway where the speed limit is 65 mph.
    Phoenix Fire spokesman Captain Jonathan Jacobs said he suspects motorists had slowed down because of the rain. Phoenix fire had about 100 firefighters working the scene.
    Multiple tow trucks hauled away disabled vehicles as a city bus drove up and down the closed section of the freeway, providing shelter and air conditioning to the victims, Jacobs said. About half of the vehicles involved could be driven away.
    The crash investigation closed westbound I-10 ramp at 16th Street and 7th Street, along with the westbound I-10 ramps from Loop 202 and Arizona 51, officials said.
    The freeway was reopened at about 10 p.m. Saturday.

2. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    :eek:

damn, people... slow the F@&% down!

3. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    Well as long as nobody got hurt to bad....that is wrecker drivers dream.

4. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15

That might have been some of the problem too. Some people slowed down while others still drove fast. We have the same problem here in the winter. People think the speed limit is an all weather speed limit but they are not. Speed limits are designed for the best weather.

5. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    Job security for me.

6. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Yep. Not much of that snow/ice here but we get lots of fog and our fair share of heavy rains. If I'm driving on the highway in that stuff I'm more worried about someone rear-ending me than I am about hitting someone else.

7. Sep 7, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    I was very glad to be heading east that night... Most Arizonans cannot handle driving in the rain.

8. Sep 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Wow, glad there were no serious injuries but.... this is why all these dumbasses need to leave more than 2' distance between vehicles.

9. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    wow. good thing it doesnt snow in phx..

Products Discussed in

To Top