1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-road racing in Arizona?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by CaptMorgan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    CaptMorgan

CaptMorgan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Lift, tires, aux-in, LED Taillights, Flowmaster
    Hello,

I am staring to research off-road racing in Arizona and wanting to see if anyone had feedback. I found the ASCC (http://www.arizonashortcourse.com) but that’s not really what I am looking for. I am looking for something where there is a stock class or something not too heavily modified (roll-cages, fuel cells etc)

My real goal is to be able to off-road safely and not have to worry about other motorist on the trail. I really love hi-speed prerunner stuff but all the roads I know of are shared with quads, side-x-sides, slow trucks and whatever else feels like off-roading that day(thinking about the Taurus I saw this weekend, wtf?). I don’t find the speeds I want to drive at safe to be sharing the road which is where the thought of racing comes in, off course a little competition wouldn’t hurt either. I would be willing to modify my truck somewhat to meet specs but this is a daily driver so I am not going to get all crazy with cages and fuel and whatnot

Anyone have any thoughts or know of any directional trails (so I wouldn’t have to expect on coming vehicles)?

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    look into whiplash racing. i race with them (dirtbikes) they also have truck classes( not sure what the specs are) but its alot of fun!

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    You won't be able to race with any reputable sanctioning body without a cage.

For your own safety, you should keep those speeds low until you have to equipment to survive a roll-over.

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe
    Thanks i'll look into that more. I see that they have the same rules as SCORE so I will have to start there.

I know what you mean and I would in a perfect world, but like with most things you have to work into it. I have no experience or friends who participate in the sport. Its not like I am just going to go race spec my truck without even testing the waters. Plus its not like I feel I am driving at a level that is dangerous or at the end of mine or the trucks ability. I just want to do it in a safe secure environment.

The Taco's can take a roll pretty good too, not that I am trying to justify anything, check this out, happened on a TW meet here in AZ

2010-09-18_15-32-34_27_68364a76b8337587c449a4682c5789c70812ce73.jpg

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    That looks like it was a low-speed tip and still the roof completely collapsed. Add 20-30mph and you're in deep doodoo.

If you're serious, step 1 is to order a rulebook. SCORE sells theirs for $25 + shipping, I believe. I'm pretty sure you can download the one for Best in the Desert. Generally, if your setup passes SCORE tech, you'll be able to race anywhere.

At a bare minimum even for stock mini you need a rollcage, fuel cell, window nets, secondary door latches, skidplates, real bumpers, fire extinguishers, etc. For yourself you'll need a fire retardant suit, helmet, and gloves.

It's not cheap or easy, but it is an amazing experience if you follow through.

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    wow where was that at?? almost looks like crown king...

7. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    thats where it was and driver and passenger walked away un injured.

8. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    dam im good haha. thats crazy!!
    i remember you telling my about a guy that slid off a cliff when we were at butcher, was this the time?

9. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    ASCC Is cool. The shop I help out with their SNORE bug has a few trucks in it. With any desert racing it isn't cheap. The "phrase you gotta pay to play" will be something that you have to live by lol

You will need cages (engine, cab, and bed) seats, harnesses, helmet, window nets, fuel cell, and few other things. and thats just to be able to race. It dosent include race fees, race prep, Suspension (Short Cousre trucks aren't set up like open desert trucks) They are low to the ground, and in SC its not as much about the amount of travel that you have.

If like to do pre-running stuff their is a place by tucson that has a lot of that terrain.

10. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    That roll occurred on the large trail run from Bumble Bee to Prescott. Gear and his step dad were both fine.

11. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe
    Sounds like more than I am looking to get into right now. I was just hoping to find a "stock" class or something.

Where are these trails near tuscon? I would love to make a day of it, maybe we could meet up or something?

12. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    im always willing to meet up for a nice trial run! pm me any time and ill try to be there!

13. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe
    yeah that was a scary day for sure. I was 2 trucks back when it happened and first down to them at the crash, didn't know what I was going to see when I got down there.

Never heard the outcome of the story though, did Gear ever post if it got insured or anything?

14. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    My friend and I were a couple trucks behind him, as well and down there immediately. I cannot believe most people didn't notice... Gear's insurance paid it off and he got a newer Tacoma - SWB Sport, I believe.

15. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe

Thats good to hear. I was worried they would have got the better of that deal, glad that worked out for him. I wish they had decided to try and fire up the engine, I bet it would have started

16. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    They did, the truck did start up just fine. No one wanted to try to drive it out though, since it was already getting dark at that point.

17. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    are you a member of azt4wd? (The new Arizonatacomas site) in the last min wheeling trips thread the info is in there. I haven't been out there yet but another member has the area mapped out and a video of the area.

Its called Rail-x

18. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe
    Oh really? I was there when they pulled the plugs and everything but it was getting dark and it was decided just to stop because of time and they didn't want to give the insurance any more reasons to deny the claim(i.e. seized engine). We took off in a size-able group from what was left. Guess a couple peeps must of stayed behind and fired it up.

19. Mar 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    i thought arizonatacomas didn't exist anymore.. ha

20. Mar 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    CaptMorgan

Member:
    Tempe
    I never saw your past, looking at our post they were only a minute apart, guessing we were typing at the same time. I'm not apart of the group but I am friends of the facebook page. I was going back and fourth with who ever runs the page and he mentioned Rail X but suggested having to pay for membership to gain access to the trails.

Google gave me a good idea if where its at but it would be nice to find someone to go with

Products Discussed in

To Top