1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crown King Run & Camp - July 30/31 2011

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Seabass, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jul 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    Seabass

Seabass [OP] Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    This is the revised Crown King trail run and campout now scheduled for Saturday/Sunday July 30/31, 2011.

images_bf402ae76d192981f7a11cfa872901c3f4f0fb6f.jpg Click here for latest Crown King weather forecast

Update: Fire restrictions have been lifted as of 7/12! We are good to go for campfires!

We will be departing early Saturday morning July 30 from two different directions to ascend the Bradshaw mountains and meet up at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow campground) just outside of the town of Crown King. We will be camping overnight at the lake and heading home Sunday. There will be 2 different groups:
    1. 4x4 high clearance only - ascending the "back way", or south side, via Castle Hot Springs road off of the 74 Highway (aka Carefree Highway) and north via the Crown King Trail. This is approximately a 30 mile dirt road trail once on Castle Hot Springs road, and is expected to take our group about 4 hours to ascend to Crown King pending no real issues or hold-ups. This trail is not suitable for 2 wheel drives or Prerunners due to its rugged, rutted and boulder-ridden terrain. Recovery gear is always recommended, and bring a full size spare if you have one.

[​IMG]

My fiancee and I plan to be at the "Hot Bagels & Deli" restaurant at 6am for breakfast, and it's only 15 minutes away from the turnoff to start the trail. They are located on the n/e corner of the Carefree Highway and I-17. Their restaurant faces east, and is right across the street from a gas station where I plan to top off. You all are welcome to meet up there if you wish. The 2wd folks can also meet here if they want.

2. 2 wheel drives, Prerunners & all others - ascending the "front way", or east side, via 1-17 just north of Black Canyon city exiting at Highway 59 (Bumblebee Exit). This is a dirt road but is car-friendly and is about 27 miles from the I-17. This route should take approximately 1 hour to reach Crown King pending no stops or issues.

Anyone in this group, please decide when/where you want to meet up and I will update it here so everyone knows where to go at what time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The campground & meeting spot

Once either group reaches Crown King (first group there is responsible for grabbing enough sites for all of us!), we will be meeting 6 miles away at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow Campground). This is a Prerunner-friendly dirt road as well. There should be enough room for all of us, pending another large group hasn't occupied the campsites. There are basic bathroom facilities for those who need it, but bring your own drinkable water and supplies. There is a $10 fee per night at the campground per campsite per night, and a $5 fee for each additional vehicle in the same campsite. So, if we share campsites we can save a couple bucks. You are responsible for bringing your own cash for this fee.

Click here to view the Prescott National Forest link to Hazlet Hollow Campground for more information and directions

Here's a pic of the lake. It's small, but has fishing from a few parts of the shore or by float tube or small boat. I read that there are bass, catfish and sunfish. You can guarantee that I'll be getting a line wet while out there.

[​IMG]

Unless you all agree otherwise, this is a bring your own gear/food/water trip. It's always less frustrating than depending on others for key parts of your supplies and having them "forget" their part. I'm bringing my own gear regardless.

Here's who's going

Group 1 (4x4 only)
    1. Seabass (Adam) +1
    2. 97yota4wd (Eric)
    3. moose1988 (Josh) Maybe.. cause hes a bad boy.
    4. cannonball (Justin) maybe
    5. paden (Paden)
    6. mmallin99 (Mark) +1 hes gonna own that bitch
    7. OuTkAsT (Josh)
    8. b4iceman (James) - trail run, no camping
    9. extremachn1 (Chas)
    Group 2 (Prerunner & 2 wheel friendly)
    1. staticsquelch (Steve) tentative!
    2. pizza (Ryan)
    3. 08pretaco (Oliver)
    4. ColtsTRD (Scott) coming with Oliver ^^
    5. T4C0CH40S (Stefen) +2
    6. motorsport36 (Jason)
    7. bmo05 (Brandon)
    Maybe
    1. brandonaz (Brandon from Avid Off-Road)
    2. SGT Taco (Scott) - truck "unavailable" so probably won't make it
    Bailer's List of Shame
    1. ColtsTRD (Scott)
    Maps

Hot Bagels & Deli - 6am meet spot for both groups for breakfast & gas top-off (menu)
    Full trail for Prerunner group - waypoint "B" is your airdown/final check spot
    Full trail for 4x4 group - waypoint "C" is your airdown/final check spot
    4 Sons Food Stores - gas station/market right across the street from the bagel shop*

*If you fill up at the 4 Sons gas station listed directly above, you'll probably pay about $.20 more per gallon than anywhere else in the valley. Suggest that you only top off here and fill up somewhere else along the way. They have a store for last-minute ice and groceries, but the McDonald's in the same parking lot has much cheaper ice.

Waypoint "B" on the Prerunner trail and waypoint "C" on the 4x4 trail are great places for everyone to do a last stop to air down, wait for your group, etc. before starting the trail.

See you there!

2. Jul 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Subbed for subbing purposes and future subscription viewing

3. Jul 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I work the Saturday this event is going on :(

Actually the trails easy so I might dive up real quick after work...idk yet

4. Jul 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Make a quick run out of it! I'm liking the idea

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap

Read the first post again and see trail option 2, aka the "front way". I see minivans on it all the time, literally.

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    I was playing around In Google trying to find a route and there seems to be a way to go up Buckhorn Rd to FR 362 and then up Wagoner Road. I've never scouted it so I can't say if it is better than the front side but it would certainly have less traffic and probably better scenery and fun trail stuff....

7. Jul 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A stock 4x4 is plenty capable to go the back way. You'll be fine.

Adam....Think I could get my boat on that lake, or are there HP restrictions?

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap

LOL its only a 3 acre lake!

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    If Chris cant take his boat, we can always just have someone bring a wakeboard, tie it to a tow hitch and the truck can tow from land while the person is in the water haha

10. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    if someone is going the front way maybe they can bring my kayaks to fish out of

11. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    LOL! Well.......it would give the fish a good scare :p

12. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    mmallin99

mmallin99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    Blue Devil
    Supercharger 6in Fabtech Lift 35in Nitto Mud tires matching handles, rear bumper, scoop hood, black grill
    bring your DINGY! lol Adam count me in. me and the mrs will prolly meet ya at the bagels chop shop. lol and dont forget to bring some TP or baby wipes, incase you go to "paint a rock" lol

13. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    maybe adam appreciates abstract art lol

14. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    mmallin99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    Blue Devil
    Supercharger 6in Fabtech Lift 35in Nitto Mud tires matching handles, rear bumper, scoop hood, black grill
    lol. abstract or aborted art? lol

15. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Awesome! Added to the 4x4 list. We'll have enough recovery gear to get anyone unstuck, I just want to keep a good pace.

I'll put you as a "maybe" for the 4x2 trail

Pretty sure that any trail up the back way is going to be rutted and need 4x4 and/or high clearance

That's gonna depend on driving skill without the higher clearance, and the condition of the trail. Sounds like they grated the hardest part at the top, but there's still some tricky parts that might give a stocker 4x4 some issues without better tread and a little protection underneath. Last year I would have hit bottom 3 or 4 times without 3" of lift, but to each his own. I'd just hate to see someone with their stock daily driver up there getting hung on rocks and hating life for deciding to go the back way.

Added!

Either will do. I'm done having kids anyways :eek:

16. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    mmallin99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    Blue Devil
    lol. man i cant wait for this trip. gonna be alot of fun. meet new people. take my baby out, rough her up a lil, i mean the truck. lol cook some good food cast a line in the 16x16 foot pond. lol jk should be alot of fun

17. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    there is a bypass route the backway that can be done in 2wd. i did it on my dirt bike. its more high speed flat trails.

18. Jul 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    You still have a 5000 foot climb to make though. Must be a ton of switchbacks to stay flat yet hit that altitude. Crown King is over 6000 feet. I'd like to know where that alternate trail is. I think for this trip, we should stick to what everyone is familiar with so we don't end up backed into a corner like the last trail run :eek:

19. Jul 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    mmallin99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    Blue Devil
    ditto on familar trail. damn its gonna be hot, thank god its cooler up in Crown King. :) cant wait to see some trees.

20. Jul 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:

oh i know for sure! you know where it has the rock thats painted CK on it? and you go right there. well if you go straight its the easy trail. much longer though.

maybe next time:)

Products Discussed in

To Top