1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to order OME's, wonder if anyone can recommend a good shop to install.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 3TacosDeep, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    3TacosDeep

3TacosDeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB
    Hello gang, I'm new to the forum, but on my 3rd Tacoma. Been lurking for a while just trying to find as much info as possible, but it looks like I need to get involved now.

Current truck is a 2006 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport with an ARE shell full of about 250lbs of gear, full time. Just broke 100,000 miles this afternoon, and the truck's running a bit loose and spongy. Looking to improve the ride and get a bit of lift, I'm ready to pull the trigger on full OME kit from Wheelers (885's and Dakars), just need to figure out where to get it all installed. I've called around and driven around, and haven't really gotten a strong, confident feeling from any of the shops I've talked to. Probably worth noting, I didn't just walk in asking about installing gear bought somewhere else, I've walked in looking to see who would like to sell me what they recommend, and for the most part, was met with little interest in getting my business.

Who's got a good experience with a Taco friendly / Taco knowledgeable shop? I'm up in Glendale, but I'm more than willing to drive as far across town as needed to get the work done by guys that will do it right the first time.

Also, since I'm here, and you've all got much more up to date knowledge than I do, am I heading the right direction with an OME kit? Is there something else in the smaller lift, middle price zone that's got a better reputation?

Anyways, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
    1995.5 Tacoma ExtraCab 4x4 (Exported to Nigeria in 2003)
    2003 Tacoma DoubleCab PreRunner TRD (sold it after I got stuck in 3" of mud)
    2006 Tacoma DoubleCab Longbed 4x4 TRD Sport (Paid off and keeping it for life)

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sonora, CA
    I'm not really sure but maybe Desert Rat?

3. Oct 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    install is easy. should be a number of people willing to help you out if you supply drinks and food.

you getting new UCAs?

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
  5. Oct 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    Desert Rat or Sierra Expeditions

6. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    3TacosDeep

3TacosDeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB
    As I worked for Desert Rat about 15 years ago, unless the company has been sold to new ownership, they don't get my business.

I wish I had the tools to pull it off. As the INSTANTLY new guy around here, I didn't expect that I'd be able to pull in a crowd willing to work on my truck for pizza and beer. And adding strippers almost guarantees that the concentration isn't going to be strong. Don't buy products built on Wednesday, or built by guys that are watching strippers.

edit: Forgot to answer the other question. Wasn't planning on UCA's since I was only going 1.75" up. Are they recomennded/needed? If it's worth it, even at this height, I'm willing to do it right.

Yea, LOL is right. They seemed to want to order me the wrong stuff, charge me quite a bit for it, then charge me almost as much again for the labor. I'm Fine with spending money where it needs to be spent, but I'm not taking component advice from a guy who isn't familiar with the product line. No confidence.

And circle gets a square. Had heard of Sierra Expeditions a while ago, but they slipped my mind, I'll probably be heading that direction soon. Looks like a company that knows the OME product line, and the reviews on Google Places are refreshing.

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Greg

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    885s are going to give you just under 3" of lift. 2wd guys get just over 3".

You'll need new UCAs to correct the alignment. I have light racing and they work just fine.

8. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    3TacosDeep

3TacosDeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB
    Well alright then. Sounds like I need to adjust my height expectations on those springs, and get a set of UCAs. Thanks for the input.

9. Oct 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    Curious to see what your experience is with whomever have install it. I may be picking up an OME kit by years end as well and want to find a good place to get it installed.

10. Oct 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    3TacosDeep

3TacosDeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB
    I had a nice long phonecall with Will, the owner of Sierra Expeditions in Tempe. He does several OME installs per week and appears to know the kit better than anyone I've come across yet. He's currently out of stock on the additional addaleafs he's recommending for my application, once those are back in stock, I'm scheduling my build. Really good guy to discuss Tacoma suspension options, looking forward to it.

11. Oct 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
  12. Oct 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    tnttse

tnttse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4
    OME Lift
    I had desert rat install mine. I did ome med springs and shocks in the front and aal and ome shocks in the rear. If i had to do it again i would try to install mine myself.

I told Desert rat to install the packing spacer to correct for taco lean, they didn't.
    I told them i want my old shocks and springs, i had to go into the garage and get them.
    And to top it off one of the techs came out and offered my $300 for my new stock tires and wheels. pissed me off.

13. Oct 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    anasseef

anasseef Active Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    STAGE 1 COILOVER SYSTEM
    I went to Total Auto Pros on 16th and Bethany. They do a ton of work on trucks and Jeeps. Great guys

14. Oct 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    CQB 1911

CQB 1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR AC
    The dealership sales manager I bought my truck from recommended Total Auto Pros. He said I should go to them to because that's who they use to do there lifts and "I don't want you to void your warranty." He's probably full of shit and there getting kick backs for referrals. I haven't done enough research yet to know if Toyota has authorized shops for aftermarket installs but I seriously doubt it. I'm not trying to bad mouth this shop but it does sound kinda fishy.

Has anyone else had experience with this shop?

15. Nov 1, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    dira1987

dira1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    I have heard of private shops selling lift components to dealers (since I'm pretty sure they only do spacers and charge 1000+ for it) but not really sourcing the actual work to another shop. But who knows we live in crazy times. I am another big fan of sierra expeditions though those guys seriously kick lots of ass. And they are honest. Which really sold me on their work. Ok I'm done haha

16. Nov 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    hey dude ill help you install it! always good to get some more wrench time.

im sure a few others here will help also.

oh, i like pepperoni, my beer cold, and my strippers blonde and hot

:D
    jk

17. Nov 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I've had work done a couple of times at Sierra and they definitely know what they're doing. Rates are fair, and Kyle works quick. He can bust out suspension work on our tacos with his eyes closed. I'm pulling the trigger on the full OME kit as well, and that's probabaly where I'll have it done so it's all warrantied.

18. Nov 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Either sierra or just ask we are all willin to help if we are free and there is pizza :thumbsup: And it isn't tough to install but I definitely recommend Paying the fee to have wheelers assemble the 885's on to the nitrochargers.

And you made a great choice with OME!

19. Nov 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    3TacosDeep

3TacosDeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB
    Thanks for all of the input, and the offers top help. Nice to see a crowd of folks willing to help the new guy. I had my OME kit installed at Sierra Expeditions this morning. Kyle got it all slapped together in about 2.5 hours. At their recommendation, headed over to Firestone for alignment, lifetime alignment at any store they have is pretty tough to beat. Truck feels great, after 100,000 miles, my old springs and shocks really were a bit squished. Couldn't be happier, couldn't recommend these guys enough.

-Greg

20. Nov 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    tnttse

tnttse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4
    OME Lift
    What did the total come to? if you dont mind me asking