Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Arizona (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/)
-   -   JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/265528-jeepandrews-az-trail-runs-campouts.html)

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:03 PM

JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts
 
JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts Thread!

Upcoming Trips:

Rug Road Takeover 2015!!

Set in stone, March 27th-29th!!

For anyone new to this run, attendees have two options; the 4X4 route (rated from 3.5-4/5, depending on summer rains and trail damage from storm runoff) or 2WD/prerunner friendly backway route to Turkey Creek campsite from either Thatcher (east of Globe) or Willcox (both are graded dirt road most of the way once you leave pavement).

A little info on 4X4 trail:

***4WD attendees are recommended to have AT MINIMUM 2" lift and rock sliders. Skids/bumpers are optional with spotting/good offroad driving skills***

Formerly a mining/ranching access trail, the infamous 23 mile Rug Road snakes across the northern part of the rugged Galiuro Mts between Mammoth and the small town of Klondyke.

Beginning with the uphill climb from Mammoth on somewhat maintained Copper Creek Road, Rug Road dives off to the left around the 10 mile mark and begins its northeastern winding path across the remote Galiuro Mountains.

After several miles of easy dry creek and canyon driving, you come to the first obstacle; the Tire Chute. Named for the junk tires half exposed in the left side embankment, the road runs up through this narrow rock-strewn sluice and climbs up and out over a steep rocky wall. Depending on summer rainfall, a good spotter here is helpful!

After the Tire Chute, the road climbs out of the canyon toward the saddle on Boulder Mountain. As you crest the hill and turn west, the most difficult section on the whole trail comes into view; Carpet Hill. Off-camber towards a 500 foot cliff, strewn with loose rocks ranging up to basketball size, and heavily eroded, this shelf trail section descends across the side of Boulder Mt and into Dry Camp Canyon. Several very tight switchbacks at the "Z Turn" and an elevation drop of over 700 feet in just 3/4 of a mile make this section one of the steepest around and not for the faint of heart.

After ascending Table Mountain from Dry Camp Canyon, awesome views are awarded from the often windy vista at Table Mountain Pass. This is close to the halfway point and a great place to stop for lunch! Afterwards, the trail turns east, wandering past the abandoned Table Mountain Mine and smelter, as well as the now empty ranch cabins and stables at Parson's Grove and Bleak Spring. Many other small obstacles; rock steps, steep rocky/bouldery hill climbs, and diagonal washouts across the trail, keep things interesting as you travel further east.

As you approach the east end of the trail, rocky steps, numerous obstacles and Moab-style scenery abound as the trail drops into Turkey Creek, passing several knock-out campsites, and finally descending one last rocky shelf road, into Turkey Creek and Aravaipa Canyon, where huge cottonwood and oak trees and sandstone canyon walls tower high above, and water flows nearly year-round.

Links to previous trips:

TW Dragoons Takeover 2014!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post8834617

Dragoons 2014 pics start at http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...pouts-477.html

Total Wreck Underground Shenanigans!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...pouts-157.html

Snowtank's Big Lake/White Mountains Beat The Heat Summer Camp-out!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post7011191

Dragoon Mountains Camp-out And Mine Run! ***unfortunately was deleted, now linked over to Dragoons Trip 2014***

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post6715920

Dragoons Trip 2013 pics begin on page 89: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post6846008

Rug Road Trip 2013 Pics:

Page 44: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-44.html

Page 46:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-46.html

Page 49: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-49.html

Also: https://picasaweb.google.com/1128250...eat=directlink


And the trip that started it all...


Rug Road Takeover 2013!!


2013 Rug Road Lineup:

JeepAndrew
mh.meier
mbmack1
snowtank
Infra
amad4x4
bmmccoy007
TroCo & neslerrah
Robby655
SoldierSpike
b4iceman
george2pak+1
R0ckm
05Aztacoma
Jonesn13 (maybe)
T4C0CH40S (maybe)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../IMG_96761.JPG

snowtank 02-26-2013 08:20 PM

Boom! First! 100% in for me i will be there and i will bring a crazy hat!

mbmack1 02-26-2013 08:21 PM

Im f-in IN! Was that description ur own words? I never realized u were so articulate. Haha

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmack1 (Post 6505984)
Im f-in IN! Was that description ur own words? I never realized u were so articulate. Haha

Yessir! All mine! :D

GREEKBOY12295 02-26-2013 08:29 PM

Even though I wont be attending this. Here is a good info link I found. It says a locker is highly recommended so you TRD off road guys are good.
http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...d/rugroad.html

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowtank (Post 6505975)
Boom! First! 100% in for me i will be there and i will bring a crazy hat!

:goingcrazy:

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 (Post 6506041)
Even though I wont be attending this. Here is a good info link I found. It says a locker is highly recommended so you TRD off road guys are good.
http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...d/rugroad.html

Thanks man! After Mike decimated this trail the last time we ran it I'm curious to see how everbody does.

snowtank 02-26-2013 08:39 PM

Is this something i should have a lift for?

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowtank (Post 6506107)
Is this something i should have a lift for?

Nah, its no worse than Rice Peak. If you're going off the info on that link, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

mbmack1 02-26-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAndrew (Post 6506026)
Yessir! All mine! :D

Well done sir!

And snowtank- yes... Yes it is. U should have a lift for everything u do!:D

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmack1 (Post 6506215)
Well done sir!

And snowtank- yes... Yes it is. U should have a lift for everything u do!:D

:thumbsup: When Mike and I ran it last spring there had been some recent trail repairs made and a lot of the more difficult stuff had been removed.

snowtank 02-26-2013 09:09 PM

Haha i know i should have one. 3 more months! 3 more months! And i didnt read the link. I just went off your delightful explanation of this wounderful place. Oh and bravo sir on that narrative! I cant wait to see it.

Infra 02-26-2013 09:16 PM

I'm in fo sho!

BTW watched a couple of youtube vids on rug road and it looks like the camping area at Turkey Creek is very nice. No ground dwelling for me, I'll be hanging in my hammock. I'll also bring that *still* unopened bottle of Patron Silver for everyone to share ;)

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowtank (Post 6506333)
Haha i know i should have one. 3 more months! 3 more months! And i didnt read the link. I just went off your delightful explanation of this wounderful place. Oh and bravo sir on that narrative! I cant wait to see it.

Yes!!! Can't wait to see the lifted result! And this is going to be a trip to remember! :D

Infra 02-26-2013 09:27 PM

Andrew (snowtank) if need be you can park the truck in Mammoth and I'll have 3 open seats in my ride, plus plenty of room in the bed for gear

Buckoma 02-26-2013 09:38 PM

If anyone can possibly make this trip, DO IT. Rug Road is great! Neat mines, cabins, and don't forget Turkey Creek Indian Ruins. Not many stretches of road will have this much variety either, starting with classic sonoran, getting some higher elevation with trees, a rocky/Moab section, then awesome green and wet Turkey Creek. At least I hope the green has started there, kinda early. Plenty of amazing camping sites at the end of Turkey/Aravaipa Creeks:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...0Road/rr17.jpg

If you don't have 4x4 at least have a locker. There are some steep sections where traction will keep you safe. Have fun, Tread Lightly!!

snowtank 02-26-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infra (Post 6506443)
Andrew (snowtank) if need be you can park the truck in Mammoth and I'll have 3 open seats in my ride, plus plenty of room in the bed for gear

Thanks. But im going to push my truck all the way. I did rice peak. I should be able to do this to. But we shall see when it comes down to go time haha. And that bottle is still in opened!? Wow kudos to you!

mbmack1 02-26-2013 09:44 PM

Andrew (tank)- cant wait to see it lifted. Just giving u shit bro. Haha

Jason- ur the man both for the patron silver and for being a crazy fuckin marine and sleeping in a hammock when its prob still gonna be cold as shit!

Cant wait to see the ghost town. Everybody ready for some hills have eyes type shit? Lol

JeepAndrew 02-26-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckoma (Post 6506508)
If anyone can possibly make this trip, DO IT. Rug Road is great! Neat mines, cabins, and don't forget Turkey Creek Indian Ruins. Not many stretches of road will have this much variety either, starting with classic sonoran, getting some higher elevation with trees, a rocky/Moab section, then awesome green and wet Turkey Creek. At least I hope the green has started there, kinda early. Plenty of amazing camping sites at the end of Turkey/Aravaipa Creeks:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...0Road/rr17.jpg

If you don't have 4x4 at least have a locker. There are some steep sections where traction will keep you safe. Have fun, Tread Lightly!!

This site in the pic is actually where I was thinking we could camp, its our usual spot. Gorgeous place.

snowtank 02-26-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmack1 (Post 6506529)
Andrew (tank)- cant wait to see it lifted. Just giving u shit bro. Haha

Yeah i know. No biggie im use to it considering my girl has the lifted tacoma and im still stock.

Jason- ur the man both for the patron silver and for being a crazy fuckin marine and sleeping in a hammock when its prob still gonna be cold as shit!

Im thinking i might join in with this hammock idea.

Cant wait to see the ghost town. Everybody ready for some hills have eyes type shit? Lol

Bring guns and extra batteries for the flash lights lol

Edit: i answered all those questions after each question. And it put it installed in the quote.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 PM.