1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Oil Change Fail: What should I do?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Dunkoma, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    UPDATE:
    UPDATE:

Went to the dealership, I started hearing a high pitched hum in the belt - also noticed squeaking in my rear brakes; very loud when going down a hill under 5mph.

Had an appointment to have it looked at and asked for the service manager right away. Tempe Power Toyota :thumbsup: :D

He came right over, i showed him the dunkin donuts cup that was shredded and he said they would replace the serpentine belt, note who made the mistake :eek: and check everything out. He took the truck out and onto the highway with me to double check the braking and make sure there wasn't anything else wrong. He also heard the whistle that I get when going 50+mph hours at times. He didn't at first but took it on a long drive to figure it out and duplicate the issue; even with people back at the dealership blowing up his phone. He personally wrote down everything in detail when we got back and it was all finished later that day.

Ultimately - they washed it, gave me a the new belt, took advantage of 2 TSBs and replaced the rotors and rear braking system worth about $500 + ordered the new strip for the front grill that caused the whistling. All my research before going to the dealership didn't bring up any results about the TSBs being for 2013's, just 2012's but it sounds like it's rolled up until the newer models.:D

On a side note he also told me the same goes for the windshield wind noise TSB for the 2013's; they just replace it (this noise is much louder then the one that's caused by the grill). He was also was about to order a new replacement for my head unit because for two weeks it wouldn't work at startup. It was when it got pretty cold out here but it would take 15 minutes until the touch screen became responsive. This problem stopped a few days ago so I figured it wasn't worth it unless it acted up again.

Anyway - I just want to make anyone who reads this aware of my good experience at this dealership, and to take advantage of the 2013 TSBs if you have one and are having similar issues.

So I just had Toyota do my 15k service. I noticed a ticking sound in my engine that evening and thought it was a little strange. It seemed to only happen when I reversed and was pretty quiet so I didn't think much of it.

The next day I noticed it got louder, and worsened when my fan would kick on.

I made this video before I explored further.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r64IaeuHVBE

I starting looking under the engine and saw a little bit of smoke; immediately concerned I turned off the engine and popped the hood. This is what I found:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They had left a cup that caught the oil during the oil change, which slipped down next to my fan and started melting on the drive belt, spraying the old oil everywhere.

I'm about to bring her back to Toyota and I'm wondering how you guys would approach this.. what could have happened? Is this dangerous? Do you think I'm entitled to anything for this carelessness?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    You are entitled to having it fixed, nothing else. Youre in a truck not an airplane...

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    this...^^^

maybe an engine bay cleaning on them but about it..

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    I don't often back the dealerships when they do stupid crap, but this seems like an honest mistake to me. You should just be glad they actually changed the oil.
    I wouldn't even take it in myself. Just clean it up and count it a lesson learned.

Maybe just check the belt for damage.

5. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    What lesson is he supposed to learn here?

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The lesson learned is inspect your shit after anyone else touches it or do the work yourself.

7. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    Check the engine bay after I have someone besides myself work on it I guess?

8. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
    Other than making a mess, this little screw up of theirs shouldn't have caused any damage. I would take it back and at least have them clean up the mess they made.

If they've got their customer service attitude in order, they may even give you a complementary oil change for your next visit.

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    And the only reason I don't bother doing it myself for now is because the first 2 years are included :thumbsup: guess that's what I get :)

True true, if I hadn't had it detailed 2 days ago I would bring it in to have it cleaned up at least - although my touch screen display is being buggy so I need to go in anyway. I'll probably still mention it though

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for the quick responses guys I feel better about it now haha - and it's good to know nothing serious could have happened. I was worried there would be melted plastic on the belt or something

11. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    Always ! I have had my fair share of crappy dealership issues.
    I always mark my oil filter and inspect anything they may have touched before leaving the lot . The only reason I go in for the oil change is because it's free.

12. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Taking notes

13. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    i've had stuff stolen so i take pictures of everything and if its for an oil change i mark the filter to make sure they didnt reuse it

14. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I would bring it to the attention of the service adviser that you dealt with. I think you are entitled to get your engine bay cleaned, as well as the under carriage where the oil has probably blown back.

15. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Stolen??? Like what??

Maybe I'll get an IOU cus I already had it cleaned ;)

16. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    18 Rapturd
    ^cleaned it after the recent wading incident? =-)

What dealership was this? Power Tempe?

17. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    hahaha yess - and yess

18. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This. They COULD be asked to clean the oil and perhaps change the drive belt.
    That's honestly what I would do... but then again, I would not have had the problem in the first place.
    And this is why I would not have had the problem in the first place... I would have done the work myself.
    Or this... shouldn't have to, may as well just do it yourself and you know it's done right.
    Mehh... The only thing included is oil changes. Any other "maintenance" is going to consist of inspections only. If anything is found wrong, you're going to have to pay for it.
    So basically, your "free" oil changes are really valued at no more than $200-$300 or so, figuring $35 for a 6-pack of Mobil-1 and $4.50 for a Toyota Filter.
    Get a Fumoto drain valve, and with the filter on top of the engine like that, you can change your oil wearing a white shirt and not get it dirty.
    This.
    Even if you clean it up yourself, definitely call the service manager. He needs to know.

19. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    i had my cb (that i just bought from frys electronics still in the box and bag) and a bottle of cologne. bought tires during the buy 3 get one free deal and it took them 6 hours to mount and balance 4 tires. went to install the cb about a week and a half later and realized my shit was missing. (i basically live out of my truck) and so i went back to the dealership to report it and what i got back was "why didn't you notice it was gone right away? we can't do anything for you now." Gave them a big F U and haven't used the service department since. the one time i dont use discount tire i get fucked.

20. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for the attention to detail looking through this post Rich haha - Ya I'll just make sure they're aware, and I guess have them double check the belt.

Although nothing fancy, they do clean the truck when I take it in too so there is a tiny additional benefit of bringing it in

Products Discussed in

To Top