1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I crazy for missing my stock wheels??

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by karmatp, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    karmatp

karmatp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    I just put these guys on my truck after 3 months of owning my new 14' Tacoma.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    P10407862_zps13a71f90_4e08ded991d3bef8fa38a0cd719adecbd86c73c1.jpg

I love the look but for some reason, I miss my old TRD alloys. The other mods like color matched grill surround and rear bumper I just love. I do think it looks better with the KMC's but they are real close to rubbing at full lock on the front flaps. If I stayed stock 70's I would have been ok, but I went with 75's a month or so ago and now I am close.

I was going to keep the stock TRD alloys on my truck but when Discount Tire installed my Cooper ATP's, they scratched up my stock rims pretty bad. They actually mounted weight on the outside, one rim had them 1/4 of the way around, it was silly. When I got my survey, I mentioned that I was not happy with the outer weights, so the manager called to make it right.

He told me to come down and they re balanced my tires and added weight on the inside, which now showed up more scratches from the weights they added. He basically told me he would pay to refinish them or use that money towards new rims. Well, I decided to get some new black KMC's.

I love the look, but man, I just want my old stock alloys back. They are sitting in my garage, scraped up and all. I think they will make their way back on my truck soon. I do not want a lift and I do not want to rub while off roading. My KMC's are so new, I have not had time to even take them off the road.

So, what do you all think? Am I just overthinking this one or what? Anyone want a good deal on some new KMC's???????

2. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    FrankNasti

FrankNasti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Anywhere the Army tells my wife to go.
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Forester
    The toddler and baby seat mod.
    I'm sure someone would be happy to trade with you.

3. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    Around here, there's always a dozen ads for the TRD alloys. Some prices are pretty good too. I'm watching the market, as I'll have a set to sell in the coming months.

Maybe look for one or two of them on CL to replace the really scratched up ones (or are they all scratched? yikes if they are), and sell the KMCs. It's your truck, so go with what will make you happy. Maybe someone out there would want to trade you their new looking stock alloys for your KMCs.

Good luck with whatever you do.

4. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    karmatp

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner

It is only one of them that is pretty scratched up, and to be honest, it does not bother me. The other 3 have a little mark were Toyota mounted outer a outer eight, and all stock alloys will have this.

What people don't realize is that once you buy some perfect, brand new take offs you are going to have some kind of mark when the shop removes the OEM weight and re balances them.

I personally don't care about the scratches, I did not even complain to Discount, I just mentioned it in their survey. That is what started all of this.

Now I feel like a 41 year old dude trying to be 20 with my black rims.

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    i think the wheels look great. at first i thought you were RearviewMirror's truck. just keep the old wheels around with another set of tires on them (winter, off road, highway driving etc.) and buy and nice jack and jack stands. just switch them back and forth whenever ya want.

6. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    You could plasti dip, or paint the rims.

7. Aug 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do what makes you happy! If you feel like you're 41 and pretending to be 20, it would seem as if you're not happy with the KMCs. Go back to stock!

8. Aug 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    Well since you asked for opinions...

Remove the mud flaps cause if you use the 4x4, you will lose them anyway
    KMCs look good
    Be happy that Discount made it right and gave you a deal on sweet wheels

9. Aug 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    karmatp

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    Discount is the best, I never go anywhere else for my tires. Of course I am happy they took care of me, they always do.

As far as the flaps, I trimmed them up a bunch and I have been out a 4 wheeling a bunch and they have stayed on. I took about 6" off the flaps all the way around. I think they will be fine as long as I don't go rock climbing, which I don't plan on doing.

10. Aug 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    Anelson24

Anelson24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    I have stock 2014 off road wheels and have been looking into the kmc wheels...I'd prefer to keep the tires I have and just remount them if your interested in a swap type deal..let me know.

-Aaron

11. Aug 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    If I were you I'd probably get some touch up paint or go with a different color like duplicolor gunmetal gray and paint the stock ones to cover the blemishes. If you're really wheeling with them you can't expect to keep them nice anyway. Make sure it's something you can touch up easily on your own.

It kills me when I see people building things that are really 'nice'. It's going to be incredibly hard keeping things like wheels, painted calipers, color matched steel bumpers and things like in good shape when you actually take it offroad. Wheels in particular just take a crazy beating.

12. Aug 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Do what makes you happy, but those are great rims. Very strong and fairly light too... excellent choice. Maybe for the "look" you could paint the fake beadlock-ish ring on them white to see if you like it better (just do with white plastidip first to see). Just something to through out there.

As for rubbing... just trim, remove mud flaps, and do a body mount chop. Really none of eating some plastics away are a big deal, and a lot of peeps do it.

I still rub up front ;)
    [​IMG]

13. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Slinky

Slinky Whatchu talkin bout willis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Doug Thorley Headerd, MTX RTS10-04 10" sub, Boss Audio R1100M amp, Viper 3305V Alarm, 22" Digi-Diodes LED bar mounted on custom bumper, Camburg Long Travel up front with Fox 8" coilovers and 600# Eibach Coils 07-14-16
    I would be happy to take the Enduro's off of your hands.

14. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    JuansTaco

JuansTaco JuanInAMillion

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    gilbert az
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 stormtrooper
    ESB long travel kit, Deaver f67s with DTF 12 inch shackles.
    Do what you feel like doing man! its what you care about not others! i have been looking to pick up some enduros. i have the level 8 strike6s from dicount but want either enduros or some stealth custom series rims. or methods just depends on the deal i find

15. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    :laugh: I completely get this. I nabbed a set of older Tundra TRD wheels which will be mounted with a set of 265/75s I have laying around, for when the original tires are done (probably before the end of the year). It'll be a change that will be subtle and not make me feel like I'm trying to be 20.

Products Discussed in

To Top