Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Armor Tech Offroad

Notices

Shackle Flip Kit - The Official Armor Tech Offroad Thread!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #41
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
not exactly but with my expo springs at full droop im almost at full extension with my 10in icon shocks but 12in shocks are alittle to long without the relocating the shock up further allow to run a longer shock with greater up/down travel....so i have a decent setup now but will revamp shocks,shackles and mounts all at once for a big improvement at one time done right and ato is top quality parts
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #42
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
not exactly but with my expo springs at full droop im almost at full extension with my 10in icon shocks but 12in shocks are alittle to long without the relocating the shock up further allow to run a longer shock with greater up/down travel....so i have a decent setup now but will revamp shocks,shackles and mounts all at once for a big improvement at one time done right and ato is top quality parts
You're not really going to be able to cycle the expos more than 11" without going wicked negative arch, which you can easily do with a 10" stroke shock.
And no matter what, you're not going to get the same amount of uptravel, let alone more uptravel with a shackle flip unless you've got some mad sting bug ride height.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #44
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My rear set up is a single aal, and OME shocks. Would I need new shocks to run this?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok, another question, would these affect towing at all? I don't haul much. Heaviest is a little flatbed with my rhino on it, probably 2k#.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #48
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
To take full advantage of the flip kit you would want to. The stock shocks will limit the downtravel.
OME not OEM
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #50
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are OME aftermarket shocks longer than OEM?

The RCD billies have 11" of travel. I'm not sure what OME ones are...
IDK , you said stock shocks I thought you mixed up , but I think there's a thread here with shock lengths , I'll see if I can find it
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #52
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are OME aftermarket shocks longer than OEM?

The RCD billies have 11" of travel. I'm not sure what OME ones are...
ome is something like 16/24? I have measurements in my build of the collapse/ext lengths but I'm on my phone.

I was definitely being limited on my down travel then got some 10" Fox and saw big improvements.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #53
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
close.. 14/24..

Fox 10" RR brought me to like 27 ext
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #54

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
close.. 14/24..

Fox 10" RR brought me to like 27 ext
Sweet
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #56
I'm your huckleberry

Too slow.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thx OZ.

So the rear OME shocks are slightly less than 24" fully extended.

The RCD's i have are 27.28" fully extended.
Big difference alright
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #58
dcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcvt16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ehren
dcvt16's Tacoma Gallery
Order placed. Hope these work on the 5 lug. Leafs are same length as 6 lug..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #59
ArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
ArmorTech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
My rear set up is a single aal, and OME shocks. Would I need new shocks to run this?
Most likely. You will want a 16/27 shock to maximize both the use of the kit and the life of your shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Ok, another question, would these affect towing at all? I don't haul much. Heaviest is a little flatbed with my rhino on it, probably 2k#.
There should be no difference while towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvt16 View Post
Order placed. Hope these work on the 5 lug. Leafs are same length as 6 lug..
Thank you for the order!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #60
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
For those wondering, to fully maximize axle travel with use of a shackle flip kit, you're gonna need replacement brake lines and I would bet at least a 12" shock. More may be better.

Obviously, travel characteristics vary a bit depending on your spring pack, rate, and shackle setup. That said, with OME leafs and a (one off custom) ATO kit with a 3" shackle I was pulling ~13" of travel eyelet to eyelet at the stock shock mounts. A 12" shock wouldn't have done the trick. I ended up with some custom fab to stuff a 15" travel Icon shock under each fender. But that involved more rigamarole than most here will want to deal with.

My recommendation: Get the shackle flip in, get the brake lines extended, then take your shocks off the rear axle, cycle and measure exactly what your shock travel will need to be. Set up bumpstops accordingly, then order shocks. Until then, either leave the shocks off or stay on pavement.

Life gets a lot easier if you're willing to relocate the shock mounts. But then, it gets pricier as well.