Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Armor Tech Offroad

Notices

High Clearance Rear Bumper

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #121
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
well you know ryan and I have one
Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #122
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have one, too.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #123
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #124
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
I don't think it looks like that when opened. Guess I have to look. Hasn't opened up on me, but, yeah it sometimes rattles a bit.

My main issue is that road mist gets into the locking pins at freezes them solid. One of these days, I need to pack the inside of those with grease to stop that from happening.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #125
ArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
ArmorTech's Tacoma Gallery
Chris,

Please get me the new photos by email so we can help figure out what's going on with your tire carrier.

I have offered to fix Ryan's tire carrier but have not heard back from him in over a month.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #126
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorTech View Post
Chris,

Please get me the new photos by email so we can help figure out what's going on with your tire carrier.

I have offered to fix Ryan's tire carrier but have not heard back from him in over a month.
Email sent with pics.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #127
LOCO 4X4
lemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Ryan
lemons's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorTech View Post
Chris,

PM sent.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #128

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #129
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I really like my bumper and swingout. Took some trial and error with others but I have had no issues. I need to get a custom hitch made though due to the hitch access being so far back but overall Im really happy with mine. I hate that others hate to be the factor of trial and error to make mine right.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #130
ArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shedArmorTech is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Shipping Chris' bumper without the tire carrier was the biggest mistake. He was on a deadline for getting the bumper and we couldn't meet that with both pieces. This won't happen again. As for it sitting at an angle now, I can't speculate because I can not look at the bumper in person and I have not been with the bumper it's entire life. We did bring the tire carrier back and repair the latch. this involved lowering the carrier by 3/16". This repair was performed in house, on a bumper we have here so I know for a fact that we did not lower the tire carrier as much as the angle in those photos.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #131
We have made several new improvements to the tire carriers a couple of months ago.

First off we've changed the assembly process to compensate for issues with weld warp that were the problem with the first production units. I'm honestly not sure what happened with the first few. We built the tire carrier for the shop show truck the same way we built all of the others and we have had no problems with it. But we changed the process anyway to be sure there are no more problems there.

Second, the fixed portion of the latch has been extended and a relief added to fully capture the catch stud. This ensures that the only way for the latch to come open is by physically breaking the latch. This also holds the gate tight to eliminate rattles.

Third, the main latch plate now has a deeper slot, which still has the interference fit locking notch at the bottom of the latch movement. This is a fairly minor change.

Fourth, latch studs are slightly longer and rest into a rubber bumper on the tire carrier side of the latch. This preloads the latch to again insure the latch will not rattle.

Fifth, a nylon skid pad has been added to the height alignment pad. This eliminates another metal on metal contact point but is primarily intended to reduce friction when closing the gate. This nearly eliminates wear between the two parts and will help protect the paint in this area of the bumper.

Sixth, we've redesigned the hinge mounting base, extending the lower flange to allow the open position holding pin to have two potential functions in the closed position. Option one is to have the flange solid where the pin rests in the closed position. This holds the pin up so there is no need to pull the spring pin up to get the gate into the fully open position. The other option is to drill out the flange in the closed position location of the locking pin (a laser cut pierce point is provided for location). The pin then acts as a secondary backup holding the gate in the closed position. By drilling this hole you would have to pull on the spring pin at the hinge to open the gate. So far we have been shipping all tire carriers with this hole not drilled but we can drill them here if requested.

These upgrades have raised the quality of this tire carrier to a whole new level that I feel is not being matched by any other manufacture. The latch is as simple and quick to use as it comes and now has no chance to pop open and is rubberized to eliminate rattles. The hinge is hands down the strongest available anywhere and has the option of 3 locking positions.

Note the nylon washer between the fixed and pivot portions of the latch has always been included.

Attached Thumbnails
High Clearance Rear Bumper-1458-3ma-labeled.jpg   High Clearance Rear Bumper-1458-1ma.jpg   High Clearance Rear Bumper-1458-2ma.jpg   High Clearance Rear Bumper-1458-3ma.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #132

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #133
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Anybody that's on the fence of purchasing this bumper versus any of the other high-clearance rear bumpers on the market consider these design flaws/problems I've had with mine. I originally wanted this bumper after seeing several of the original "Armor Tech" version when it was owned by Kevin.

The class 3 hitch is nice but it's a pain to access even after cutting the sheet metal below the tailgate. There's no safety chain attachment points. And there's no where to attach your trailer harness (mine was ziptied underneath the bed until I had a bracket made and welded on).

The tire gate with 2 Jerry can holders came a few weeks after receiving the bumper due to a vendor issue Adam had, no big deal. Big thumbs up for him getting the bumper to me beforehand so I could install it while I was on vacation.

I installed the tire gate and hit the trails that same weekend. One thing I noticed around town is that it had a horrible rattle when going over any bit of bumps or even in the parking lot on speed bumps. There was a huge amount of slop in the latch (not sure why it was redesigned away from the previous working latch). That weekend while out on a mild trail here in VA the tire gate came unlatched and swung open, causing no damage to the truck and only shearing off the catch pin for the open positions.

I had further issues with it opening on the same trail. He offered to have it sent back to him at no cost to me It was rectified and rewelded. Only problem now is I have this awful angle on the tire gate, at least there's no more rattles and it hasn't popped open. Looking back when it was originally installed the angle was there just not as drastic.

Previous post from page 5 showing the slight angle when new. Pictures attached below are post reweld and current angle.

Man I hope Adam can get this taken care of Chris. I am the one that pushed you on this bumper because of how much I love mine. However, either Kevin didn't give Adam the most updated specs or Adam tweeked them some. Regardless, Adam has always been great for me to deal with during my shackle flip setup. Give him a chance and I am confident he will get it taken care of! After installing Matts for him, although I am not a fan of any of the differences, his is definitely a much better design than the one you received....
Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #134

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Man I hope Adam can get this taken care of Chris. I am the one that pushed you on this bumper because of how much I love mine. However, either Kevin didn't give Adam the most updated specs or Adam tweeked them some. Regardless, Adam has always been great for me to deal with during my shackle flip setup. Give him a chance and I am confident he will get it taken care of! After installing Matts for him, although I am not a fan of any of the differences, his is definitely a much better design than the one you received....
Not your fault. I thought I was getting one like the original ATO but definitely not, the only thing the same is the shape of the bumper itself.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #135

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some more info for anyone looking at this bumper and tire gate.

ATO Swing-Out

Level garage floor...

Unloaded:

Measured at spindle: 35"
Measured at latch: 34 7/16"

Difference: 9/16"

Loaded (255 spare tire, 1 full water Jerry can, 1 full fuel Jerry can):
Measured at spindle: 33 3/16"
Measured at latch: 30 15/16"

Difference: 2 1/4"
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #136
Marines:
I'll have to try this myself, but one flaw in your measurement is that without locking the suspension (i.e. jackstands) out of the equation these numbers are meaningless.

I had a long explanation, but I drew a picture instead (see attached).

To the extent that the truck squats on the rear axle around the front axle the measurement at the spindle (blue line) will always be less than the measurement at the latch (green line).

I don't disagree that the angle of you spindle seems to be off level from the pictures you've shown. How much of that is from the deflection isn't demonstrated by your test, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Here's some more info for anyone looking at this bumper and tire gate.

ATO Swing-Out

Level garage floor...

Unloaded:

Measured at spindle: 35"
Measured at latch: 34 7/16"

Difference: 9/16"

Loaded (255 spare tire, 1 full water Jerry can, 1 full fuel Jerry can):
Measured at spindle: 33 3/16"
Measured at latch: 30 15/16"

Difference: 2 1/4"
Attached Thumbnails
High Clearance Rear Bumper-spindle.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #137

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
That makes sense was thinking about that concept this morning.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #138
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
couple of questions for those of you running the ato hc bumper, how are you wiring the license plate lights? are you using the stock harness/bulbs and modifying them to work or are you splicing in with a whole different lighting setup or maybe using something similar to these?
http://www.amazon.com/License-Plate-.../dp/B004PC49ZQ

just trying to get my ducks in a row before i dive into an unknown purchase. thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #139
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Still on sale for $673?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #140

Adam, Have you received any of my pms about the hitch, I just had a question and would like your feedback please,
Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread