1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bumper Review

Discussion in 'Armor Tech Offroad' started by Hotdog, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I give the Armor Tech Offroad rear bumper :taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:(out of 5:taco:)

Pros:
    Price - Cheaper than OEM
    Communication - Great communication throughout the design process. Always quick to respond and up front about any problems that arise out of unusual requests by me
    Fit - Perfect fit! This was one of my biggest concerns about this purchase. I got my old bumper off and the new bumper back on with no problems. All the tools needed were a bunch of blocks of wood for stacking the bumper on, the jack(for gently pushing the bumper up into position), a small mallet, and a big socket wrench. My dad and I installed it in about 2-3 hours. The hardest part about the installation was getting the bumper off the ground and into position. A third person or a big jack would have made this easier.
    Heavy Duty - Bumper is probably about twice the weight as the original. Someone backed into me and bent in my old bumper and creased my bedside panel. Someone will shit bricks if they back into me now. Here is a picture of the gap due to my damaged bedside panel
    [​IMG]
    Options - I got the backup lights, the shackle mounts, and a standard towing hitch. All are great and I'm very impressed. I haven't hooked up any electrical yet. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten him to cut the hole for the trailer wiring harness. :rolleyes:
    Paint - Spray paint. I like the ease of touch ups.

Critiques - I have to give some, otherwise people will ignore the review.
    Shipping - Shipped via UPS in a cardboard box. I understand the reasoning, but I'll explain it to the others. UPS and Fedex have weight limits. The packaging and bumper weigh in at about 115 lbs. :eek: The addition of a wooden crate would likely put the bumper/packaging over the weight limit for those options. Shipping was very quick (~3 days for delivery) but I think that putting the bumper in a crate and going with a freight company might be a better option. The bumper arrived in tact and with no bends, but a few of the edges had poked out of the cardboard and some paint was scratched. Also, the odd size of the bumper and the cardboard made it impossible to effectively use a hand truck. Armor Tech is still a new company and he is learning the best way to ship. Would I order again if nothing was changed? Hell yes.
    Heavy Duty - Emphasis on Heavy. Be prepared when you get this bumper. It is heavy. Although the fit was perfect , installation was a bit difficult due to the weight.
    Paint - I like the spray paint. Makes it easy to touch up. I scratched it a little during installation and there were a few when it arrived. I may or may not have scratched it if there was a different coating system used. It is up to you if you want the spray paint finish.

I highly recommend this bumper. I'm imagining that every other Tacoma owner is straining their neck to check out my badass bumper.

Pictures to come later. I will also detail what I do for the backup lights.

2. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    any more pics of new bumper
    ?

3. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Pics......faster....

4. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    wooden crate system is now in effect, well at least the one about to ship that I saw was in a killer wooden crate. Seeing one of these in person make me envy one, and it even made me was to cut my bedsides for the high clearance design. Armor Tech is the way to go....

5. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    How much is the bumper?

6. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    It definately is an awesome bumper. I get comments on mine all the time.

The back up/trailer hookup lights and the hidden hitch are awesome features that I like on mine.

Heavy duty with a kick A$$ look to it.

7. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
  8. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm about to go to "work", but maybe this evening. I'll be installed a fuse block next and then I'll get to work on wiring the lights.

Great.

It varies, dependent on the options.

I got the permanent hitch because I occasionally need to tow a trailer in the city.

9. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    You still at work??? Lets see the finished product (please):D

10. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Awesome hot dog, now you need to fix that panel and you'll be all set

11. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    wow i totally missed this whole thread... oops. anyways i'm glad you are pleased with the bumper! it'll put a smile on your face the first time you throw on those lights at night... i can't live without mine anymore!

as far as the shipping we now ship all bumper via freight. after some light paint scrapes and one bent bumper i was forced to break down and switch. in the end it will work out better though.

and you say its heavy... haha.. imagine my poor back when i'm carrying these puppies around all day, and mounting and removing them from my truck single handed... *remembers i need to get a heating pad* :D

thanks again for your order!!

12. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    you stated it was cheaper than oem. at $525 base model for armor tech, you must be wrong.whats the oem bumper cost?

13. Sep 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO

I got an insurance check for $1000 to replace my OEM chrome bumper that got smashed up on my 2009. Cost and quality is why I purchased the Armor Tech bumper.

14. Sep 7, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I would like the bumpers to say "Stay the heck away from my truck or risk loosing the side of your vehicle" mean aren't I. ;) The 2009 Tacoma is stock now but likely in the future some "narly" <-(old guy word) bumpers are in order.

Of course the rear will need to hold my low band amateur radio antenna which is motorized.

15. Sep 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Tempting isn't it?

16. Sep 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    not really

17. Sep 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    just let me know when your ready.. i can easily add whatever mount is needed to accommodate your antenna...

18. Sep 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Unlike some other mods, this rear quarter panel is a direct bolt on. No cutting is required at all. It may look it on the pic, but when I saw it in person... I was thoroughly impressed with the strength and the fact it was an attachment.

19. Sep 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    we all know about the Allpro bumper, it's been in "prototype" stage for a few months.

it's likely not as sturdy as the armortech, but yes the side protection is nice. I'm very curious to test it on the trail, I will be impressed if in no ways it comes in contact with the fender and/or it can keep the mud and dirt away from the fender.. because if it doesn't, it will scratch the paint to the point where you might have been better to cut the fender.,. 3 guys from the club here in Calgary preordered them so we'll have the hands-on test done first.

However, the full allpro bumper is over $1000. Armortech is a lot more affordable and has cut outs for the hi lift, rear lights, etc etc.

I think there is a market for both products...

20. Sep 10, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    After seeing first hand the flimsyness of the all-pro front bumper I wouldn't put their rear on my truck if it was free. I would sell it and get an armortech...oh, wait I already have the armortech and have had it since April...:D

And argue what you want...but try pushing off a tree with the all-pro, instead of the front sliding the front bumper crumbles. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top