Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Armor Tech Offroad

Notices

Rear Bumper Review

Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Rear Bumper Review

I give the Armor Tech Offroad rear bumper (out of 5)

Pros:
Price - Cheaper than OEM
Communication - Great communication throughout the design process. Always quick to respond and up front about any problems that arise out of unusual requests by me
Fit - Perfect fit! This was one of my biggest concerns about this purchase. I got my old bumper off and the new bumper back on with no problems. All the tools needed were a bunch of blocks of wood for stacking the bumper on, the jack(for gently pushing the bumper up into position), a small mallet, and a big socket wrench. My dad and I installed it in about 2-3 hours. The hardest part about the installation was getting the bumper off the ground and into position. A third person or a big jack would have made this easier.
Heavy Duty - Bumper is probably about twice the weight as the original. Someone backed into me and bent in my old bumper and creased my bedside panel. Someone will shit bricks if they back into me now. Here is a picture of the gap due to my damaged bedside panel

Options - I got the backup lights, the shackle mounts, and a standard towing hitch. All are great and I'm very impressed. I haven't hooked up any electrical yet. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten him to cut the hole for the trailer wiring harness.
Paint - Spray paint. I like the ease of touch ups.

Critiques - I have to give some, otherwise people will ignore the review.
Shipping - Shipped via UPS in a cardboard box. I understand the reasoning, but I'll explain it to the others. UPS and Fedex have weight limits. The packaging and bumper weigh in at about 115 lbs. The addition of a wooden crate would likely put the bumper/packaging over the weight limit for those options. Shipping was very quick (~3 days for delivery) but I think that putting the bumper in a crate and going with a freight company might be a better option. The bumper arrived in tact and with no bends, but a few of the edges had poked out of the cardboard and some paint was scratched. Also, the odd size of the bumper and the cardboard made it impossible to effectively use a hand truck. Armor Tech is still a new company and he is learning the best way to ship. Would I order again if nothing was changed? Hell yes.
Heavy Duty - Emphasis on Heavy. Be prepared when you get this bumper. It is heavy. Although the fit was perfect , installation was a bit difficult due to the weight.
Paint - I like the spray paint. Makes it easy to touch up. I scratched it a little during installation and there were a few when it arrived. I may or may not have scratched it if there was a different coating system used. It is up to you if you want the spray paint finish.

I highly recommend this bumper. I'm imagining that every other Tacoma owner is straining their neck to check out my badass bumper.

Pictures to come later. I will also detail what I do for the backup lights.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
any more pics of new bumper
?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Pics......faster....
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
wooden crate system is now in effect, well at least the one about to ship that I saw was in a killer wooden crate. Seeing one of these in person make me envy one, and it even made me was to cut my bedsides for the high clearance design. Armor Tech is the way to go....
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How much is the bumper?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
It definately is an awesome bumper. I get comments on mine all the time.

The back up/trailer hookup lights and the hidden hitch are awesome features that I like on mine.

Heavy duty with a kick A$$ look to it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How much is the bumper?

Check out this thread for pricing and options available.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...duct-line.html
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaq View Post
any more pics of new bumper
?
Quote:
Pics......faster....
I'm about to go to "work", but maybe this evening. I'll be installed a fuse block next and then I'll get to work on wiring the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
wooden crate system is now in effect, well at least the one about to ship that I saw was in a killer wooden crate. Seeing one of these in person make me envy one, and it even made me was to cut my bedsides for the high clearance design. Armor Tech is the way to go....
Great.

Quote:
How much is the bumper?
It varies, dependent on the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraQr View Post
It definately is an awesome bumper. I get comments on mine all the time.

The back up/trailer hookup lights and the hidden hitch are awesome features that I like on mine.

Heavy duty with a kick A$$ look to it.
I got the permanent hitch because I occasionally need to tow a trailer in the city.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome hot dog, now you need to fix that panel and you'll be all set
Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
wow i totally missed this whole thread... oops. anyways i'm glad you are pleased with the bumper! it'll put a smile on your face the first time you throw on those lights at night... i can't live without mine anymore!

as far as the shipping we now ship all bumper via freight. after some light paint scrapes and one bent bumper i was forced to break down and switch. in the end it will work out better though.

and you say its heavy... haha.. imagine my poor back when i'm carrying these puppies around all day, and mounting and removing them from my truck single handed... *remembers i need to get a heating pad*

thanks again for your order!!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
you stated it was cheaper than oem. at $525 base model for armor tech, you must be wrong.whats the oem bumper cost?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
WoodsDweller

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
you stated it was cheaper than oem. at $525 base model for armor tech, you must be wrong.whats the oem bumper cost?

I got an insurance check for $1000 to replace my OEM chrome bumper that got smashed up on my 2009. Cost and quality is why I purchased the Armor Tech bumper.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I would like the bumpers to say "Stay the heck away from my truck or risk loosing the side of your vehicle" mean aren't I. The 2009 Tacoma is stock now but likely in the future some "narly" <-(old guy word) bumpers are in order.

Of course the rear will need to hold my low band amateur radio antenna which is motorized.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Tempting isn't it?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
WoodsDweller

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
not really
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiber View Post
I would like the bumpers to say "Stay the heck away from my truck or risk loosing the side of your vehicle" mean aren't I. The 2009 Tacoma is stock now but likely in the future some "narly" <-(old guy word) bumpers are in order.

Of course the rear will need to hold my low band amateur radio antenna which is motorized.
just let me know when your ready.. i can easily add whatever mount is needed to accommodate your antenna...
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Unlike some other mods, this rear quarter panel is a direct bolt on. No cutting is required at all. It may look it on the pic, but when I saw it in person... I was thoroughly impressed with the strength and the fact it was an attachment.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
we all know about the Allpro bumper, it's been in "prototype" stage for a few months.

it's likely not as sturdy as the armortech, but yes the side protection is nice. I'm very curious to test it on the trail, I will be impressed if in no ways it comes in contact with the fender and/or it can keep the mud and dirt away from the fender.. because if it doesn't, it will scratch the paint to the point where you might have been better to cut the fender.,. 3 guys from the club here in Calgary preordered them so we'll have the hands-on test done first.

However, the full allpro bumper is over $1000. Armortech is a lot more affordable and has cut outs for the hi lift, rear lights, etc etc.

I think there is a market for both products...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #20
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
After seeing first hand the flimsyness of the all-pro front bumper I wouldn't put their rear on my truck if it was free. I would sell it and get an armortech...oh, wait I already have the armortech and have had it since April...

And argue what you want...but try pushing off a tree with the all-pro, instead of the front sliding the front bumper crumbles.