1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket skid plate reviews

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Mademan925, Dec 16, 2013.

?

Which skids do you have?

1. AllPro offroad

12.4%
  2. Budbuilt

6.8%
  3. Armor tech offroad

3.7%
  4. RCI metalworks

19.0%
  5. Relentless Fabrication

5.0%
  6. Pelfreybuilt

18.8%
  7. 4xinnovations

2.2%
  8. BAMF

8.7%
  9. Stock skids are good enough for what I do

25.3%
  1. Dec 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 [OP] Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Hey guys. I banged up my new truck this weekend. I started a thread to find out about the damage.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/306883-damaged-cross-member-today-rock.html

A lot good information about the differences in skids was brought up. I am going to compile a list of all the aftermarket skids I can find and the differences in coveraged and price. I wish I would have researched more before I purchased my allpro skids. I will compile the list and links this week but one think I would like from you guys is reviews of your skids that I can put in the top section and pictures of them.

Lots of good info to follow, I promise.

Under construction

AllPro offroad

IFS
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $219 Bare $269 Painted
    All-Pro's 05+ Toyota Tacoma IFS Skid Plate provides maximum protection for your Tacoma's vulnerable IFS third member and steering components. Fabricated from CNC laser cut, precision brake-formed 3/16" plate steel, this skid provides the strength you need without weighing your Tacoma down. Uses factory hardware for easy bolt-on installation. Compatible with stock bumper. Ditch that factory skid plate and get the protection you need in order to have fun and peace of mind on the trails! Add our other skids for even more coverage!

Transmission
    [​IMG]
    Cost $99
    Not only does All-Pro Off Road offer IFS protection, we also offer protection for your transmission, transfer case & exhaust cross over pipe. For the ultimate protection before you hit the trail, be sure to get your Tacoma skid plates today. Provides strength without limiting vital ground clearance.

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $299 It’s obvious that extra protection is needed when traversing vigorous trails that are beating up your Tacoma. All-Pro’s heavy-duty Transfer Case/Exhaust Skid Plate protects your transfer case and exhaust cross over pipe from getting smashed by the rocks on the trail. The skid plate is made out of heavy-duty 3/16" steel plate that is mounted to 1.5” x .120 wall round steel tubing which extends to the frame rails with bolt-on backing plates. This innovative design essentially spreads the load from any impact to the frame instead of to the transfer case, which as we know is a vital (and costly) component in four-wheeling.
    With this easy to install bolt-on application you'll be protected and ready to hit the trails in no time. This product has it all: function, fit and performance.

Reviews:
    -->“Allpro skids are reasonably priced and offer adequate coverage when compared to other aftermarket skids. They will protect your truck from lots of damage and bolt on easy. They offer lots of clearance but because of the high clearance there are places to get hung up on if you plan on sliding on your belly. Their service is great. Ryan will hook you up with what you need.” – mademan925
    -->"I'm running All-Pro skids on my truck. I have the ifs & trans skid installed and the transfer case & E-locker guard sitting in my garage. I don't have any complaints about any of them. If anything the ifs skid has paid for itself several times over." - 05aztacoma

Budbuilt IFS
    [​IMG]

Cost $289 bare $329 Painted
    http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=170

Replaces the stock thin sheet metal skid with 3/16" thick LASER cut steel, CNC press brake formed beef! Bolts on to existing mounting points with no welding or fabricating required. Recessed, flat head and carriage bolts give a nice smooth bottom. Rocks, stumps, and lesser vehicles have nothing to catch on. Edges are formed for strength and rigidity with gaps to allow for ease of cleaning and mud removal.

Transmission Skid
    [​IMG]
    Cost $249
    http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=170

05+Taco, Mid Skidplate bolts on to existing mounting points with no welding or fabricating required. Recessed, flat head and carriage bolts give a nice smooth bottom. Only a small drain hole for changing oil interrupts that smooth surface. Rocks, stumps, and lesser vehicles have nothing to catch on. Edges are formed for strength and rigidity with gaps to allow for ease of cleaning and mud removal.

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $239

Reviews:
    --> "I'm very happy with them"... "My BudBuilt skids provide a continuous skid from the front to a few inches behind the transfer case." - DoorDing
    --> "I chose the BudBuilts because they cover the LCA's, which AllPro does not. And a nice smooth surface from front to back" - MonkeyFace

Armor tech offroad
    [​IMG]
    Cost $266
    http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-Tacoma-Front-Skid-Plate_p_10.html
    Replace your weak stock skid pan with this ¼inch thick skid plate. This skid plate has been engineered to take all of the abuse off roading will throw at it and protect your engine and front differential from those pesky rocks and logs. The skid plate starts at the front cross member and covers all the way to behind the front differential for maximum coverage. There are 6 mounting points to hold the skid plate securely in place. Additionally there is an access hole for the engine oil drain plug so there is no need to remove your skid plate to change your oil. This plate is laser cut and CNC bent from high quality American steel and ready to protect your truck from the trail ahead.

Transmission
    [​IMG]
    Cost $144
    http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-Tacoma-Transmission-Skid-Plate_p_7.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to fit 2005 - 2013 Toyota Tacomas and take all of the abuse off roading will throw at it and protect your Transmission from those pesky rocks and logs. The skid plate starts at the back of the Armor Tech Front Skid Plate and covers to the transmission cross member. There are 5 mounting points to hold the skid plate securely in place. This plate is laser cut and CNC bent from high quality American steel and ready to protect your truck from the trail ahead. The Transmission skid requires the use of the Armor Tech Offroad Front Skid Plate.

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $289
    http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-Tacoma-T-Case-Skid-Plate_p_8.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to provide maximum protection for your 2005 and newer Tacoma transfer case. This skid plate is made from 3/16 inch American made steel that has been precision laser cut and CNC formed for a perfect fit every time. The skid comes completely bolt on, including a heavy duty rear support cross member. Relocating the stock exhaust crossover tube is required to fit this skid plate.

Reviews:
    --> IFS is "pretty beefy and havent really wheeled with it on yet but it is strong enough to jack the whole front end of the truck up from it and not even be phased by it. It's also one heavy mother I used a jack to hold it in place while I installed it. Overall from what I've done with it I'm happy with it I feel as if I could take a few rocks to the center and not be phased by it." - MO13
    --> "The front is a beast. 1/4 inch and it will support the truck. It has a nice smooth bend to it so lesser vehicles and pedestrians don't get caught up under there. I've smacked it a few times - and put a nice gouge in it - didn't even flinch. The mid plate mates up nicely and is a piece of cake to install. A++ would skidplate again." - Monkeyboy
    --> " I have a ATO for the front. The fit is perfect, I like how much wider it is over some of the others and I would recommend the 1/4" thickness for anybody that is wheeling around rocks as mine does have a small dent and I try not to beat on it." -mach1man001

RCI metalworks
    IFS
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $185 bare $220 Painted
    http://www.rcimetalworks.com/05-14-Tacoma-Front-Skid-Plate-TACO-05-13-01.htm
    Protect your 2nd Gen Tacoma with an RCI Metalworks front skid plate. This plate protects and provides full coverage of the front of the truck including the front two crossmembers, front differential, and oil pan. Also, our products will not interfere with oil changes or routine maintenance as all necessary service openings are built into the plates. Built in drain holes serve two functions, allowing water and mud a way to drain out as well as extra cooling and heat dissipation from under the truck. Without these the plates will trap and accumulate mud and rocks.

Transmission
    [​IMG]
    Cost $165
    http://www.rcimetalworks.com/05-14-Tacoma-Transmission-Skid-Plate-TACO-05-13-02.htm

Protect your 2nd generation Tacoma from costly underbody damage with an RCI Metalworks transmission skid plate. An excellent addition to your vehicle, or replacement for the cheap and extremely light duty oem skid plates, which do not provide coverage over full transmission. These plates are CNC cut and brake formed to protect your second and third crossmembers, and transmission. Edges are formed between crossmembers to provide maximum strength and rigidity. Integrates seamlessly with our front and t-case skid plates for an unobstructed smooth undercarriage surface. Service holes are integrated into design for easy maintenance without removal of plates

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $200
    http://www.rcimetalworks.com/05-14-Tacoma-Transfer-Case-Skid-Plate-TACO-05-13-03.htm

Protect your 2nd generation Tacoma from costly underbody damage with an RCI Metalworks transfer case skid plate. An excellent addition to your vehicle, or replacement for the cheap and extremely light duty OEM skid plate, which only attaches to the t-case itself. This means any impact will not be dispersed elsewhere, rendering the plate useless. RCI skid plates are CNC cut and brake formed to protect your third crossmember, transfer case, and exhaust crosspipe. Edges are formed between crossmembers to provide maximum strength and rigidity. Integrates seamlessly with our front and t-case skid plates for an unobstructed, smooth undercarriage surface. Our transfer case skid plate includes a heavy duty 3/16" steel welded crossmember for maximum strength

Reviews:

Relentless Fabrication

[​IMG]
    Cost $289 Bare $339 Painted
    http://www.relentlessfabrication.us/online-store.php#!/~/product/category=3368787&id=14466245

Our beefy IFS skid is CNC cut and CNC formed from 3/16" steel plate for a precise fit and great protection. Has a hole cut for access to oil drain plug for oil changes. Skid mounts to front crossmember, and protects the oil pan, front diff and steering rack. The skid is also wide enough to give some LCA alignment tab protection that some other skids leave vulnerable.

Transmission
    [​IMG]

Cost $219
    http://www.relentlessfabrication.us/online-store.php#!/~/product/category=3368787&id=14466248

Made from 3/16" steel just like the standard IFS skid. This mid skid protects the transmission and catalytic converters from trail damage and would-be thieves.

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $329
    http://www.relentlessfabrication.us/online-store.php#!/~/product/category=3368787&id=14466267

One of the most vulnerable parts to the 05+ 4wd Tacoma is the low hanging factory transfer case.
    Some extra protection is a must if you take your truck off-road, and Relentless Fab is here to help with our beefy transfercase skid. Precision made from CNC cut and formed 3/16" steel, this skid can prevent thousands in damage. Skid protects not only the transfer case, but also the low hanging exhaust cross over pipe that can easily get flattened.

Reviews:
    -->"I have a Relentless IFS skid plate. I installed it before a lift or tires and lost some ground clearance. With the loss of about 1", I dragged a lot going up to my camp. After 1.5 miles of rubs and hits the skid still looks brand new. Great product, I highly recommend them!" - WLFFGreg
    -->"The crossover accommodation never worked with my exhaust because it was so bent. Should have just down the crosseover from the bgining and flatbellied. Did it after. All in all install went pretty smoothly, and everything is holding on so far. Skids are great, lots of coverage all around. Definitly take a beating. " - tacoma16
    --> "My transmission and transfer case are by Relentless. I ordered these because I didn't want to reroute my exhaust. I knew going in that they may not fit the ATO so if anybody else is going to mate these I would recommend that you order one (either the IFS or Transmission) of the skids without the holes where the two skids mount (I forgot and had to work on making the holes match up and now they are a little big). Also I used a piece of 2"x2'x1/4" as a filler between them as they were just a bit too short. Overall I am very happy with the trans skid protection and the way it mounts.
    The last one is the transfer case skid and this one by far this is the one that I had the most problems with. Keep in mind this is one Relentless skid to another but when I first got it and tried to install it I noticed that it was never going to be able to mount because the rear most relief for the exhaust was not nearly deep enough coming out the back of the skid. So I took it down and cut it down an inch to see if it fit. I was able to install it then but it still was touching the pipe so I took it down to cut away even more. After that I installed it and started my truck only the hear it rattle like crazy. Looking around more I realized that the relief for the exhaust hanger was not deep enough and was touching. So I took it off, cut it down and reinstalled. BTW the access to the bolts on this skid are terrible so each time removing and installing it is a total pain in the ass. At this point MOST of the noise was gone but I did have some rattling at some RPM's so a week later down it comes again. I had to drill some holes to where the exhaust has worn the paint off of it in the exhaust drop down area. Hoping and praying I am done at this point and yea no noises. Yuppie! In my opinion I should not pay the money and then have to modify something in 3 different places to make it fit a stock vehicle. Like I said I knew that matching up 2 different brands could be a pain but to be honest my one disappointment was the fitment of the transfer case skid and all the mods that had to be done to make that particular one fit. So my summary is like this. Ultimately I am happy with of all of them. They are all VERY beefy and offer great protection. This after about 1.5 years of ownership. I couldn't imagine wheeling without them. " - mach1man001
    --> "Relentless aluminum 1/4" IFS skid. Will be testing it out this week on some trails in Big Bear. I like the how little it weighs (30lbs) and how sturdy it feels for being that light. I have to chime in that you need a ratchet extension to get most of the rear bolts which was annoying because I had to go out and buy one." - RILEYSB

Pelfreybilt
    IFS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cost $275
    http://www.pelfreybilt.com/#!skids/c154j

All skids are CNC Waterjet Cut & formed from 3/16" steel.
    IFS skids use all factory mounting points and hardware.

Transmission
    [​IMG]
    Cost $210
    MID skid requires IFS for installation.

Transfer Case
    [​IMG]
    Cost $295
    Transfer case skid has optional exhaust cross-over coverage.

Reviews:
    -->"I've had my Pelfreybilt IFS Skid for a while now and love it! Great coverage and protection and super stout" - CaliBluTaco

-->"There are several good skids on the market. I selected Pelfreybilt for several reasons; I felt the skid coverage of the lower control arm cam alignment tab plates was very good and would protect them from bending during bottom outs and hard front impacts (Note in the photo that the skid is banged up where it protected the drivers-side cam tab). I also liked the three peice skid design with two flat bottoms, the IFS area and then the MID-Transfer case area which has a bit more clearance, which I feel maximized clearance.

The skids fit well with no real installation issues. I sanded them and then rattle-canned them with clean metal primer and 3-4 coats of paint. Like any steel skids, they will rust where metal is exposed, and they take a beating on my truck, both from sandblasting by rocks kicked up by the front tires on high-speed gravel/desert roads (note the edge of MID skid in second photo where rock from the tires have blasted it) and from actual impacts on the trail. I am happy with the Pelfrey skids and would buy them again." - qnyla

--> "I'm on my 2nd set of Pelfreybilt skids, I can't say they are better or worse than another vendor's skids or not since I have only bought from him. I can say I wheel with my buddies who have different (brands of) skids and we tackle the same trails, with that being said I won't say which protects better, but Pelfrey's have excellent under carriage coverage from front to back. I am pretty hard on my skids and there are dents and deep scores from rocks but I am surprised they are holding up as well as they have been. The install is very simple, I recommend 2 people though, you will have to drill 2 holes through the frame which isn't bad if you have new bits and some drilling oil. Tyler also has some of the best customer service I've delt with. " - Large

--> "I have pelfreybuilt skids on my regular cab. Needed to grind down one frame rivet on each side so they'd sit flush but it's no big deal. Pelfreybuilt skid *is* compatible with my front swaybar, even though it's got a toytec relocate on it. To my mind the main decisions to make are: 1. Do you want an exhaust crossover or not? V6 trucks where the skid doesn't have a modified exhaust tend either need a drop out in the mid skid that's a potential hang up point, or a lower skid. If you're going to the trouble to add underbelly armour, you might as well do it right and take care of this issue, IMO. 2. Location. Buy close to home to save on shipping. Buy *really* close to home for free pickup and maybe help with installation. 3. Diff drop or not. Some of the skids are cut a little lower to fit a diff drop kit, some are not. Relentless is, Pelfrey is not. 4. Coverage around the front alignment tabs, and compatibility with LCA skids if you're running them. 5. 1/4" vs. 3/16" You've gotta be wailin' on your truck awfully hard to need the additional protection and weight of 1/4" skids. Even 3/16" skids are *very* beef. "-bjmoose

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    LCA Skids

BAMF
    _DSC4448_fff20e36a72bab6990f40c6843df27770d22985b.jpg
    Cost: $175
    http://www.bayareametalfab.com/LCA-Skids_p_11.html
    CNC cut 1/4" mild steel
    Has castor bolt protection
    the skid is the most protected LCA skid on the market. It comes up all the way up the LCA blocking tree roots and other things from hitting your CVs.
    Reviews:

4xinnovations
    pic
    Cost: $130
    http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-2013-Tacoma-Lower-Control-Arm-Skid_p_34.html
    Reviews:

Armor Tech Offroad
    Pic
    Cost $124
    http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-2013-Tacoma-Lower-Control-Arm-Skid_p_369.html
    Reviews:

Total Chaos
    Pic
    Cost $125
    http://www.chaosfab.com/accessories.php?id=96504
    Reviews:

Demallo Offroad
    Pic
    Cost 125
    http://www.demello-offroad.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=262
    Reviews:

Icon
    Pic
    Cost $173
    http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...coma-lower-control-arm-skid-plate-system.html
    Reviews:

Gas Tank Skids

RCI metal works
    [​IMG]
    Cost $175
    http://rcimetalworks.com/05-14-Tacoma-Fuel-Tank-Skid-Plate-TACO-05-13-04.htmProtect the vulnerable fuel tank on your 05-14 Tacoma with an RCI fuel tank skid plate. Prevent yourself from being stranded and stuck with hundreds of dollars of damage to your vehicle. Brake bent and CNC cut to provide an excellent fit and finish. 10 gauge steel construction reduces weight by 30% compared to 3/16" steel, while providing the best combination of protection and puncture resistance using the factory fuel tank support straps. Also available in 3/16" 5052 Aluminum, for nearly 50% reduction in weight. Thicker materials are overkill and not practical when bolting to the factory straps, plus the threaded studs are extremely short which can increase installation difficulty. Completely bolt-on installation using provided hardware. Takes minutes to install.

Reviews:

Armortechoffroad
    pic
    Cost $189
    http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-Tacoma-Access-Double-Cab-Gas-Tank-Skid_p_9.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to provide maximum protection for your 2005 and newer Tacoma gas tank for Access and Double Cab Short Bed trucks with the TRD package. This skid plate is made from 3/16 inch American made steel that has been precision laser cut and CNC formed for a perfect fit every time. The skid comes completely bolt on for trucks with the TRD Off Road package, and mounts using the factory hardware. Non TRD trucks can modify the stock gas tank straps or upgrade to the TRD Off Road straps.Reviews:

4xinnovations
    Pic
    Cost $198
    http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-Tacoma-Access-Double-Cab-Gas-Tank-Skid_p_29.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to provide maximum protection for your 2005 and newer Tacoma gas tank for Access and Double Cab Short Bed trucks with the TRD package. This skid plate is made from 3/16 inch American made steel that has been precision laser cut and CNC formed for a perfect fit every time. The skid comes completely bolt on for trucks with the TRD Off Road package, and mounts using the factory hardware. Non TRD trucks can modify the stock gas tank straps or upgrade to the TRD Off Road straps.Reviews:

Budbuilt
    Pic
    Cost: $229
    http://www.budbuilt.com/new/05+Tacoma.html

Reviews:
    -->"I finally installed the gas tank skid. I ran the tank near empty and used a floor jack to gently push the skid up, forcing the tank and support straps into a flatter shape. The attachment points are the studs from the OEM tank straps. They tend to splay out from the shape of the tank, so they aren't squared up with each other or perpendicular. That's why I had to use a jack to coax the tank, straps, and new skid into position. The studs are just long enough; the nuts are bottomed out. In addition to the four studs, BudBuilt includes two carriage bolts, nuts, and washers to attach the front of the skid to a small OEM crossmember. " - DoorDing

Rear Diff Skid

BAMF
    IMG_5768_098f8eea1ce0acdea17a6cf6372d0e9b54f77747.jpg

Cost $425
    https://bayareametalfab.3dcartstores.com/Diff-Skids_c_7.html

Reviews:

Allpro
    Pic
    Cost $59 Introducing our Rock Stopper Differential Armor. This unique cover, unlike other axle trusses does not hang down below the axle robbing your truck of valuable ground clearance. The Toyota axle housing is made from some pretty beefy steel and is well gusseted from the factory but the diff cover is made from thinner material and is subject to denting, perforation of the cover and oil loss. Our solution is a weld-on outer cover made from 10 guage .134" plate steel. Our cover has two openings in the bottom to prevent water and debris from becoming trapped. This piece is designed for 2005+ Tacomas with the factory E-locker or LSD, as well as 95-04 Tacomas with non-E-locker rear differentials.

Reviews:

Boztec
    [​IMG]
    Cost $385
    http://www.boztec.us.com/reardiffskidplate.html
    The BozTec rear diff skid plate for the Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, and 4Runner is built from 1/4" steel, welded inside and out with a 3/4" steel cradle captivating the front of the third member. Two saddle connections are form fitted to the axle tubes, secured with 1/2" U bolts and protect the axle housing out to the spring buckets providing optimal coverage of the rear differential and e-locker as well.

Reviews:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    bigmw, 05Taco4x4, tacabode and 7 others like this.
  3. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
  4. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
  5. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Thanks guys. Ill put in some time the next few weeks. Id like to use pics from our trucks and not the venders. Hopefully people will post. This thread will be good if people contribute.

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    CaliBluTaco

CaliBluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathanael
    Ohio USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper, Brute Force Fab HC Rear Bumper, All Pro Kickout Sliders, Pelfreybilt IFS Skid and Mid Skid, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement, ICON Ext.Travel Coilovers w/ 14"x 650# Eibach coils and custom valving, LR UCA's, OME Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Pack w/ All Pro U-Bolt Flip, Icon 2.0 Aluminum Series Extended Travel rear shocks & Wheelers Super Bumpstops. 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Tires on 17x8 Pro Comp 7089's, ENGO E12000s Winch w/ Synthetic Rope, Locker Anytime Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, and more...
    I've had my Pelfreybilt IFS Skid for a while now and love it! Great coverage and protection and super stout :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Nice writeup! Helps me because I would like to put some on my truck after I lift it.

8. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    !TacoTaco!

!TacoTaco! TACO LOVER!

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    PSL, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD SR5 Sport
    Removed coal filter, Also installed AFE air filter. Roof rack with custom diamond plate air diverter.
  9. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Thank you for being the first to contribute.

10. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    Here are a couple of poor photos of Pelfreybilt IFS and MID skids on my 2006. I do not yet have the Transfer Case Skid.

There are several good skids on the market. I selected Pelfreybilt for several reasons; I felt the skid coverage of the lower control arm cam alignment tab plates was very good and would protect them from bending during bottom outs and hard front impacts (Note in the photo that the skid is banged up where it protected the drivers-side cam tab). I also liked the three peice skid design with two flat bottoms, the IFS area and then the MID-Transfer case area which has a bit more clearance, which I feel maximized clearance.

The skids fit well with no real installation issues. I sanded them and then rattle-canned them with clean metal primer and 3-4 coats of paint. Like any steel skids, they will rust where metal is exposed, and they take a beating on my truck, both from sandblasting by rocks kicked up by the front tires on high-speed gravel/desert roads (note the edge of MID skid in second photo where rock from the tires have blasted it) and from actual impacts on the trail. I am happy with the Pelfrey skids and would buy them again.

JB7B5254-1335.jpg

JB7B5261-1335.jpg

11. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Thank you

12. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
  13. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    Ill take some pics of my ATO front ifs skid tomorrow and post em up for you it's pretty beefy and havent really wheeled with it on yet but it is strong enough to jack the whole front end of the truck up from it and not even be phased by it. It's also one heavy mother I used a jack to hold it in place while I installed it. Overall from what I've done with it I'm happy with it I feel as if I could take a few rocks to the center and not be phased by it.

14. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Added. Thank you

I believe 4x is the same as ATO.

4xinnovations
    IFS
    Pic
    Cost $279 1/4 steel
    http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-Tacoma-Front-Skid-Plate_p_31.html

Replace your weak stock skid pan with this ¼inch thick skid plate. This skid plate has been engineered to take all of the abuse off roading will throw at it and protect your engine and front differential from those pesky rocks and logs. The skid plate starts at the front cross member and covers all the way to behind the front differential for maximum coverage. There are 6 mounting points to hold the skid plate securely in place. Additionally there is an access hole for the engine oil drain plug so there is no need to remove your skid plate to change your oil. This plate is laser cut and CNC bent from high quality American steel and ready to protect your truck from the trail ahead.

Transmission
    Pic
    Cost $151
    http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-Tacoma-Transmission-Skid-Plate_p_27.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to fit 2005 - 2013 Toyota Tacomas and take all of the abuse off roading will throw at it and protect your Transmission from those pesky rocks and logs. The skid plate starts at the back of the Armor Tech Front Skid Plate and covers to the transmission cross member. There are 5 mounting points to hold the skid plate securely in place. This plate is laser cut and CNC bent from high quality American steel and ready to protect your truck from the trail ahead. The Transmission skid requires the use of the 4x Innovations Front Skid Plate.

Transfer Case
    Pic
    Cost $303
    http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-Tacoma-T-Case-Skid-Plate_p_28.html
    This skid plate has been engineered to provide maximum protection for your 2005 and newer Tacoma transfer case. This skid plate is made from 3/16 inch American made steel that has been precision laser cut and CNC formed for a perfect fit every time. The skid comes completely bolt on, including a heavy duty rear support cross member. Relocating the stock exhaust crossover tube is required to fit this skid plate. All required hardware is included.

Reviews:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  15. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    Thanks for the info. Another thing you can add is location. The plates are heavy as shit. The reason I haven't bought one yet is because of the cost of shipping. I notice that you're in the Bay Area, maybe we can save on shipping if we decide to get the same one.

16. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Definitely will look into adding locations but I have a few other things to add first. I already purchased my Allpro skids I just wish I had known more about other companies skids before I got them.

17. Dec 17, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    So, someone has to ask the obvious and stupid question, here I'll do it.

Can anyone answer if these are 4wd specific or are they all for both 2wd Prerunner and 4wd.

Also, as you go aft with more skid plates, does it matter what the cab style is or even the bed length.

As an example, are the skids for a 4wd access cab with short bed the same as the ones for a short cab short bed or DCLB.

Almost seems everything is 4wd based and not much mention for the 2wd trucks, but maybe I'm wrong and just have not found it.

PK

18. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff

I have seen disclamers on the transmission skids that say no prerunners or single cabs. The IFS skids seem to fit prerunners. If someone knows the answer for skids in general please let us know and I will add it. If it comes down to brand I will put it on the list of to do's for updates.

19. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    I too am curious to know if they all work for prerunner or not.

20. Dec 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Mademan925

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    I need help guys. Post some pics and reviews. please

Products Discussed in