1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fabricate a Baja Bumper

Discussion in 'Armor' started by AllenHoltby, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Mar 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    AllenHoltby

AllenHoltby [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    I'm wanting to fabricate my own bumper but I don't know what kind of metals I will need. Along with that, I don't know if it will be cheaper to build one or just have a fab shop do it for me.

2. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    Jocoma

Jocoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo-mama
    Olympia,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 Rugged Trail
    Home made satochi trd grill BFG AT 265 75 16 Dipped badges TRD stub antenna More to follow : spindle lift,Halo lights, Kicker sound sytem ,Slotted rotors TRD Seat covers When the cash starts flowing
    Im thinking of making my own also. I just thinking if I measure and cut every piece
    one at a time symmetrically it should be fine. The hardest part will be the frame mounting and another spot to reinforce it beside the frame. Idk
    I was also thinking of getting a cheaper one and just adding pieces on to it.

3. Apr 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    StrokerAce

StrokerAce Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ace
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    TACO - AKA Black Beauty
    I have been looking for a blueprint of sorts to build one, haven't found any posted so I might just take a picture of one I like and try to duplicate

4. Apr 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    Jocoma

Jocoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo-mama
    Olympia,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 Rugged Trail
    Home made satochi trd grill BFG AT 265 75 16 Dipped badges TRD stub antenna More to follow : spindle lift,Halo lights, Kicker sound sytem ,Slotted rotors TRD Seat covers When the cash starts flowing
    Yeah same here I have seen another TW member use cardboard to make the different shapes and dry fit them with tape on his rig then he cut out all the shapes and welded them together. I just think a couple of pictures would help with how far you gotta angle it out from the frame to look right and how close it needs to come up to the bottom of the head lights.

5. Apr 20, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    DR PH1L

DR PH1L Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '97 4WD Tacoma daily driver
    I'm looking to fabricate my own rear bumper, rock sliders, and bed rack. I've been playing with Sketchup. It's a free 3D rendering program. It's a lot like Auto CAD, but I feel the learning curve is significantly faster. I don't have a CNC machine or anything, so the program is more a way for me to draw it out and get a better idea instead of using paper.

On the tool side of the house, I've been researching tubing benders and notchers. I've settled on the Model 32 manual bender and the Notchmaster, both made by JD Squared. I haven't purchased them yet, but I think those are the models I'm gonna go with.

Model 32 bender:
    https://www.jd2.com/p-67-model-32-bender-manual.aspx

Notchmaster:
    https://www.jd2.com/p-63-notchmaster.aspx

They're a bit pricey for just a one shot use like a bumper and rock sliders, but I plan on using it for more than that. Really, the possibilities are endless. Roll cages, bumpers, bed racks, frames for certain components.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. Apr 20, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I built a front and rear bumper (ARB look alike) for my former Cummins Ram. I made a 3D cardboard template and mounted it to the truck, then refined the fit. Tape and hot melt glue is your friend here. I then took it to a local steel shop and wanted to have them cut out the shapes. They suggested to make it essentially out of one big sheet by bending it in a big press that they had. Then I welded the ends, the taper cuts and the mounting plates. Lots of MiG wire, grinding pads, paint, etc... that add up. Came out really nice but it's a lot of work and not a whole lot of savings versus buying one, especially if you can get a good deal on shipping. Was definitely solid though as it was 3/16" and 1/4", magically fewer people would try to cut a fast left across the front of me...

Op - Got a welder? Grinder? Helmet? Welding jacket/leathers? That's just the start of what you need to make a steel bumper. Prefer aluminum? It's exponentially harder to make... Not trying to discourage you but a bumper wouldn't be the first project to do if you've never completed any metal fab before.

Products Discussed in

To Top