Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Preferred remote start and security system.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Preferred remote start and security system.

My new 08 DC didn't come with a Toyota security system. It did come with remote door locks. So now I'm looking for am after market system.

I don't know much about them so thats why I'm asking.

I want door switches and remote start, the remote start should work for what, 200 yards?

An engine imbolizer or fuel shut off if thats possible?

The store I've done business with before and like wants to sell me a Viper 560 system. Circuit City had 1 they said was made by Viper, Python maybe??

Anyways, what do y'all like?

Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #2

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
I can't believe no one has posted any type of reply to this.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Clifford makes one with sst technology can unlock your truck a good ways i have the 791xv in camry awesome alarm you cant go wrong with viper, no fuel shutoff though, i would go with viper 5900 lcd screen 1 mile radius awesome alarm.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much any aftermarket alarm will do what you want..
Range is dependant on the "Line of Sight"

A 2 way transmitter is nice if you can't see you truck you have and LCD screen that tells you what is happening or happened.
Pages you when the alarm is tripped.

I had something similar to this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crimestopper-CS2...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Mingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mingy's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a security system in my 1st new car

A few months later I had to get in an it took me all of about 25 seconds to completely disable it.

No more security systems, though I can see the potential of the factory 'wired into the engine computer' types.

What I do do as an antitheft is hide a cut off switch. Whn I park, I 'switch off' which kills the fuel pump.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I've always used Vipers and had good luck with them. Saved my car from vandals in the driveway twice. The Viper I put on my 95 Contour is still going strong. The boy recently had to get a replacement key fob for it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at stuff too. Just to let you know, Clifford, Python, Viper, Avital, Astroflex, and Hornet are all made by Directed Electronics (DEI). From my understanding, all of them are equal in terms of quality, but some have different options and are just marketed to different install shops.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #8

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks y'all I've decided on a Python with 2-way remote, security and auto-start.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe we can both learn here...

what are people's opinion on glass breakage sensors? I've had one guy say that it's pointless because the shock sensor handles it.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
True but i see it as better safe than sorry the viper alarm is awesome on there sensors.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #12

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Bill, evidently it is pretty involved. DEI, the company behind Viper and Python and a whole lot of auto electronics requires the installer to be certified. Or they can void the warranty.

That plus 3 different shops told me it would take 6 hours or so to do.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Nuggety

I second that, I got a quote for 4 hours.

I would avoid doing the work myself as well, not only due to the warranty, but also that an alarm/remote start touches on so many portions of the vehicle's electrical system and components.

I received a very excellent reply over at the12volt.com (read 1st reply by chriswallace187), and it's worth reading.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
FireMedic518 is on a distinguished road

FireMedic518's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to FireMedic518
I had an Astrostart placed in my 07, and I love it. It has the option to add on a alarm. 2000 yd range. I haven't had any problems.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe we can both learn here...

what are people's opinion on glass breakage sensors? I've had one guy say that it's pointless because the shock sensor handles it.
(They are a microphone that listens for the high pitched sounds of metal on glass.) They work well if adjusted right. With that said a well adjusted 2 stage shock sensor will do the same. have your first stage set to warm away with light taps... then the 2nd stage to only go off with large hits or opening doors etc.

I had many "false" alarms with my glass breakage... even as simple a dog barking or a whistle... (epspecially if the wondows are dows a bit) for the summer heat.

Alarms are geat and most do what they are designed to do it is the person who is not telling teh installer what exactly they want out of the alarm and getting the settings right.

Some people don't want their alarms going off unless the car is gettingbroke into while other owners want thir alarms going off as soon as some one looks at their car the wrong way.

It's all in adjustment... Hope some of this rambling makes sense...