1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preferred remote start and security system.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MikeS., Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jun 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    My new 08 DC didn't come with a Toyota security system. It did come with remote door locks. So now I'm looking for am after market system.

I don't know much about them so thats why I'm asking.

I want door switches and remote start, the remote start should work for what, 200 yards?

An engine imbolizer or fuel shut off if thats possible?

The store I've done business with before and like wants to sell me a Viper 560 system. Circuit City had 1 they said was made by Viper, Python maybe??

Anyways, what do y'all like?

Mike

2. Jun 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    MikeS.

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    I can't believe no one has posted any type of reply to this.:eek:

3. Jun 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Clifford makes one with sst technology can unlock your truck a good ways i have the 791xv in camry awesome alarm you cant go wrong with viper, no fuel shutoff though, i would go with viper 5900 lcd screen 1 mile radius awesome alarm.

4. Jun 11, 2008 at 11:45 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jun 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    A few months later I had to get in an it took me all of about 25 seconds to completely disable it.

No more security systems, though I can see the potential of the factory 'wired into the engine computer' types.

What I do do as an antitheft is hide a cut off switch. Whn I park, I 'switch off' which kills the fuel pump.

6. Jun 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I've always used Vipers and had good luck with them. Saved my car from vandals in the driveway twice. The Viper I put on my 95 Contour is still going strong. The boy recently had to get a replacement key fob for it.

7. Jun 12, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm looking at stuff too. Just to let you know, Clifford, Python, Viper, Avital, Astroflex, and Hornet are all made by Directed Electronics (DEI). From my understanding, all of them are equal in terms of quality, but some have different options and are just marketed to different install shops.

8. Jun 12, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    MikeS.

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    Thanks y'all I've decided on a Python with 2-way remote, security and auto-start.

9. Jun 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Not to hijack the thread, but maybe we can both learn here...

what are people's opinion on glass breakage sensors? I've had one guy say that it's pointless because the shock sensor handles it.

10. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    True but i see it as better safe than sorry the viper alarm is awesome on there sensors.

11. Jun 14, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    How difficult is it to add a security system such as the Viper? Is it plug and play or is splicing required?

12. Jun 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    MikeS.

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    Bill, evidently it is pretty involved. DEI, the company behind Viper and Python and a whole lot of auto electronics requires the installer to be certified. Or they can void the warranty.

That plus 3 different shops told me it would take 6 hours or so to do.

13. Jun 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I second that, I got a quote for 4 hours.

I would avoid doing the work myself as well, not only due to the warranty, but also that an alarm/remote start touches on so many portions of the vehicle's electrical system and components.

I received a very excellent reply over at the12volt.com (read 1st reply by chriswallace187), and it's worth reading.

14. Jun 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM
    FireMedic518

FireMedic518 Active Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Remote Start, Nerf Bars, Bull Bar, Tinted Windows. Next up is a DVD player w/ Nav
    I had an Astrostart placed in my 07, and I love it. It has the option to add on a alarm. 2000 yd range. I haven't had any problems.

15. Jun 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    (They are a microphone that listens for the high pitched sounds of metal on glass.) They work well if adjusted right. With that said a well adjusted 2 stage shock sensor will do the same. have your first stage set to warm away with light taps... then the 2nd stage to only go off with large hits or opening doors etc.

I had many "false" alarms with my glass breakage... even as simple a dog barking or a whistle... (epspecially if the wondows are dows a bit) for the summer heat.

Alarms are geat and most do what they are designed to do it is the person who is not telling teh installer what exactly they want out of the alarm and getting the settings right.

Some people don't want their alarms going off unless the car is gettingbroke into while other owners want thir alarms going off as soon as some one looks at their car the wrong way.

It's all in adjustment... Hope some of this rambling makes sense...:D

Products Discussed in

To Top