Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Few questions regarding my first upgrade...

Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
El Hombre Lobo is on a distinguished road
Army:
El Hombre Lobo's Tacoma Gallery
Few questions regarding my first upgrade...

Okay so after reading countless threads I'm starting to get a handle on the science that is car audio. I have an 07 AC, and here is a basic outline for my first upgrade.

Factory HU
Alpine PDX-5
Front - Hertz ESK 165 Components (6.5")
Rear - Hertz ECX 165 Coaxial (6.5")
Possibly a JL 10" sub that I can plug and play when needed.

Question I have is do I really need a high frequency sound source in the rear? I ask this because Hertz also offers the EV 165L 6.5" woofer which claims "powerful, solid bass, even without a subwoofer". If I could get away without having a sub taking up valuable room I would. Having said that, would I sense a sound imbalance with the highs up front and only lows in the rear?

Replacing the HU is out of the question, at least for now...

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
No need for highs in the back; you're in the right track my friend. I'm not familiar with that particular Hertz driver so I'll look into it. However, it sounds cool. I think your plan is a good one.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If these are the woofers you're talking about I think you'll still need a sub.

FS of 60hz is not what I'd call low

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_ev165l.pdf
Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Army:
Thanks ItalynStylion, I appreciate your advice. So should I stick with just the coaxials in the rear? Since making that post I've read more about 6.5" subs, is this a reasonable alternative? You have a couple of these correct? Will the PDX-5 be capable of running two 6.5" subs in the rear doors along with the two front components?

Again thanks for all the help!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood

Well, I think if you're going to put any speakers in the rear coaxials are all I'd spend your money on. Don't waste it on components.

The PDX5 is more than capable. The 6.5" sub isn't terribly efficient by nature of not having a ton of cone area. They might do ok in the rear doors but better in an enclosure for sure.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
In an access cab, why bother with the rear speakers at all? Even in my DC I'm running front components along with a sub. Sounds just as good as my last DC that I had two sets of components and a sub in.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Okie!
Joehs is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
Joehs's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for no rear fill. Spend your money on components and a good sub stage and you'll be much happier.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Army:
Thanks for the advice guys but on most occasions I will not have room for a sub. In the rare instance that I do, I have a self enclosed JL 10" that I can plug in or out.

So pretend for a moment that I do not have a sub, should I still get 6.5 coaxials for the rear?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre Lobo View Post
Thanks for the advice guys but on most occasions I will not have room for a sub. In the rare instance that I do, I have a self enclosed JL 10" that I can plug in or out.

So pretend for a moment that I do not have a sub, should I still get 6.5 coaxials for the rear?
You're not required to do all of them at once. Might just try some components in the doors, and if that isn't enough add some coaxes.

Like I said, last truck I had two sets of components and a sub in a DC Dakota. Figured I try one set and a sub in the DC Tacoma. I have the second set sitting there, but have not gone back and installed anything else.