Barrier 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Okie!
Joehs is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
Joehs's Tacoma Gallery
Sound Deadener or Sound Barrier?

Looking to gather the last of my stuff for my install. I haven't done a Tacoma before, so I thought I'd ask some of you guys here.

The question isn't whether or not to use dampening material of some sort, it's which is the most effective treatment for our particular car. I have a 2008 DC.

The two products I've been eyeing are the Cascade sound deadener, and the SecondSkin Proliner sound barrier.

I know together, they would do wonders, but at the moment that's a bit out of my price range.

So I turn to those of you who have taken this route, deadener or barrier? Why?

I'll be looking to do all 4 doors, plus the rear firewall behind my enclosure.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with either of those, but I will always choose a constrained layer damper (deadener for your poll) to deal with resonance. Other noises (i.e. road noise, other vehicles, etc) can be tolerated. But to me, resonance and vibration are a no-no.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
It's like asking if you should use a hammer or a screw driver; each tool/product has a specific use. Some areas need to be deadened and some need noise treatment.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Okie!
Joehs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
It's like asking if you should use a hammer or a screw driver; each tool/product has a specific use. Some areas need to be deadened and some need noise treatment.
Right. This is more of a, if you had to choose one tool which would you choose, type of thing. Unfortunately, both tools at the moment are out of my price range, but one is affordable.

Eventually, both will be used. For now, I have to decide on dampener first, or MLV first. I just can't quite decide which I think would be more worth the money as a stand alone, considering that together they would be much better.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What is your "price range"? I'd find it hard to believe the stuff is out of your price range. If you plan to do the entire truck in it's completeness it will be expensive just because of the area covered. If you do parts of the truck it's not expensive at all.

Case in point....the front doors need about 10 CLD tiles per door. 20x2.45 is $49. Noise barrier can come later. If you can't handle $49 then you probably should not be spending money on your truck.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Okie!
Joehs's Tacoma Gallery
I was hoping to get it done somewhere in the 150-200$ range. I hadn't even looked at SDS CLD tiles, which are quite affordable. If I could pick up 30 CLD tiles, do you think I would have enough to do both front doors / rear firewall of the truck? or would I need more in the range of 40 tiles? Even then, it's still well within my price range and I may be able to look into a noise barrier.

I was looking at getting 2 of the Cascade door packs at 52$ a piece to get the front doors / rear firewall done. Which comes out to ~104, but luxury liner is pretty expensive at SS for 80$ @ 36sqft. Still, much closer to my budget range than I originally anticipated. Perhaps I clicked an incorrect link during my browsing earlier and looked at the Pro line.

Any hindrance in only doing the front doors and not the rears? (Not planning on running a rear fill). Tiles are definitely getting ordered at that price.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood

I'd hit the rear wall with about 10 or so as well. More coverage is better but 25% is the point of diminishing returns. Remember, placement of them is crucial. Use the "tap test" to find which areas are resonant and then deaden those first.

Only do the front doors unless you're a freak like me. I did the rear doors with both CLD and MLV/foam because I compete and needed the cabin of my truck to simulate stepping into another dimension.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I hope you never get anything that stops the noise or deadens it.

Why? Cuz I was in EMS for 10 years, and it's a serious PITA to be right behind some SOB with lights on, siren blaring, finger on the airhorn, and they're totally oblivious to you.

My personal opinion is we A) need better/stronger/louder sirens, or B) a LOT less sound deadening in cars. Seeing how B isn't likely to happen, I wish the DOT would loosen up restrictions on sirens.

Sorry... rant off.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood

It bothers the crap outta me too. People keep going like it's no big deal and I'm going ape shit in my truck pulled all the way off the road. My car is DEAD quiet and I pull over for you guys because I CHECK MY MIRRORS REGULARLY. It's part of driving.

Personally, I think you guys should be allowed to move people (by force) out of your way.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
bookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
bookmonke's Tacoma Gallery
I did a crew cab all doors, with Raamat BXT 2, it is 15x15 and used 9.25 sheets, inside and outside of the doors, so still have enough for back wall, roof and floor.