1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swapping in a 2009 or 2010 head unit into 2005?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nmce, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 15, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    nmce

nmce [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 long bed
    The stereo in my 2005 has a flaky CD player, and I was thinking of replacing it with one from a newer model, maybe gaining some functions in the process. Does anybody know if the electrical connectors are the same?

I know the latest units have a connection for the satellite radio which I guess I won't be able to use since my 2005 does not have the satellite antenna, unless I can easily add the antenna. The AUX input feature would be nice if I can make use of it, but I assume my wiring harness will not have the connections. I could add the AUX port to the lower console if either the wiring is there, or I could figure out which input to use and how to modify the factory connector.

2. Jul 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    dangerbird

dangerbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    The 2010 should work. The JBL version is a little different and may be tricky. If you use the newer unit for XM you need a fitment kit for the XM, the XM receiver and of course the antenna. I don't remember how the AUX plugged in, but I can check it on my unit when I get home. I replaced mine with a pioneer unit within a week of purchase. Have it sitting on my desk so I'll check.

3. Jul 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    nmce

nmce [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 long bed
    Thanks for the info, everybody. I thought the radio should fit right in, but I wasn't sure about those connections that my older truck won't have.

I will just need to decide whether to take a chance on one of those newer radios. It would be great to set up the AUX option, and maybe even the satellite option if it's not too difficult to retrofit. But there seems to be a lot of complaints about 2009/10 radios, and I don't want to end up taking mine out because of it's intermittent CD read problem, and end up with one that completely craps out all the time.

4. Jul 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    x2 :thumbsup:

5. Jul 17, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    The 2009 and 2010 have the satellite ready head (an extra connection in the back) and the antenna is pre-wired in the truck (to the kickplate near the driver's left foot).

That is the main difference between your CD player and the newer models. Also, you would have to get harnesses for the aux. connection.

I have seen XM kits (or Sirius) that include the antenna and would not be hard to wire if you had the head and the satellite receiver.

There are at least 4 types of head for the newer model Tacomas.

The Delphi single disc CD player AD1808 (Sounds not bad compared to other stock Toyota radios, but seems to have random failures)

There is also a Delphi AD1807- I am not sure what the difference is, but both Delphi radios seem to have a lot of random failures.

The Panasonic 6 disc player A51865 (Sounds like crap in my Tacoma- but it is designed for a 7 speaker system and I only have 5 in my access cab)

The JBL 6 disc player A51864 with satellite and bluetooth. You need to have the JBL amp since it has digital output to the amp.

Solid information seems very hard to find. The dealer was no help at all.

See the following article:

www.sw20.jp/20/Tech_Articles/Radio_information/Radio_Information.html

By the way- I am looking to sell the Panasonic head A51865 with 6 disc stacker if you want to give it a try.

6. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Jonniebb

Jonniebb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 4D SB 4x4 Off Rd 6 SP
    I asked the dealer parts dept if I could switch out from my 07 to the (then) 09 head unit. He said connectors were different.

7. Aug 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    celso20

celso20 Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner SR5 v6 double cab
    i have this radio - A51865

and after calling crutchfield and toyota this is what ive figured out:

from toyota without installation:
    $330 brings:
    tuner
    receiver kit
    mounting kit

from crutchfield:
    $239.98 brings:
    tuner
    antena (might not be compatible with the one on the roof already run)
    adapter

This is the cheapes separate tuner that plugs into your AUX port or uses FM signal:
    (sirius stratus 6 or XM Onyx)
    $69.99
    also brings $30 rebate

Im not spending so much on this HU. so im buying the XM onyx. Maybe after next years tax returns ill buy a different HU and a much better stereo system altogether

hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top