HOW TO: Tundra USB/Stereo input on Tacoma aftermarket head unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #41
Jet Fixer
Jet Fixer is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Electrician
Name: Kyle
Jet Fixer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tutorial.... this worked awesomely!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
fagesbp is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
fagesbp's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this post and was wondering if anyone had done this and used the trrs cable to enable the video part. I read that using trs wires you would plug into the 3 pins to the right. Which pins would the 4 wires go to? TIA

ETA: Something like this should work, right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-male-t...item3a7aa838e6 If I just use 2 servo plugs and cut 1 down to fit with 2 wires.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #43
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is slightly off topic but I am having a really hard time finding and auxilary lighting switch for the blank plugs I have next to this location. Can any of you help me out?...Before you say it yes I used the search function.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #44
lish is on a distinguished road
lish's Tacoma Gallery
Wondering if anyone could help, I want to use a 4 pole 3.5mm av-in jack to play audio only, through a normal 3 pole aux cable. I am aware that these jacks are capable of video playback. Will this work? I would have to wire up the 4 pole av-in jack as if it were a normal 3 pole aux-in jack as my headunit does not support video playback through these 4 pole av-in jacks anyways, so I will be connecting the jack to my head unit with a normal 3 cable aux cord. Sorry if this is confusing. The av jack i'm referring to is linked below, this is the component I want to install and run to my h/u:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2159880/

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #45
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody tried to modify the factory installed usb/aux switch to hook up to an aftermarket radio? Going to install a double din in a few weeks and would be nice to keep my factory switch functional.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #46
ike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enough
ike3000's Tacoma Gallery
i used this for the USB: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AX-TOYUSB.html seems to work fine so far.

i have not done the 3.5mm aux input yet, but plan to tap into the factory wiring harness and connect the aux input to the RCA inputs available on the rear of my DEH-80PRS. i'll do that when i install the radio antenna adaptor in a couple of weeks (love the fact that toyota uses non-conventional plugs!).

there's a wiring diagram available somewhere on this forum (i found it a couple of weeks ago) that shows the wiring from the aux 3.5mm input to the stereo connector. i'll post a link if i find it.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #47
OfficerObie59 is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Team Gunner, 94th MP Co.
OfficerObie59's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring to an 8-pin solo AUX jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
Stereo input:

For the stereo cable I used a three wire 3.5mm stereo cable, cut the plug of one end and you'll have three thin wires exposed:

Black - ground
Red - right channel
White - left channel

Mate them to a radio control servo wire extension as follow:
(Depending on which harness they give you at the hobby shop, they usually are black,red,white or brown,red,yellow)

Black to (Black or Brown)

Red to (White or yellow)

White to (Red)

You'll end up with a cable like this:

I wanted to do this with my aftermarket head unit, but with just the solo auxiliary plug that came with my 2011 Tacoma (solo meaning no USB). And unlike the USB/AUX combo the OP used that has a five pin connection to the AUX jack, the solo AUX jack is eight pins, with two rows of four.

So here's what I did, after some trial and error.

First, you're going to build the spliced audio cable as the OP instructed EXCEPT that the wires will go together as follows--essentially, you're reversing the right and left channels:

Connection: 3.5 mm Audio cable to (servo wire)
Ground: Black to (Black or Brown)
Right Channel: Red to (Red)
Left Channel: White to (White or yellow)

(If you made the cable the way the OP instructed, don't fret. You can always very gently lift up on the small plastic tabs that keep the wires from coming out of the connector and swap the red and the white/yellow wire. Be careful to ensure you don't break the small tabs as it may cause loose connections in the future.)

Next, the 8 pin connector on the back of the AUX jack is mapped as follows:

1 = Aux Left Out
2 = Aux Right Out
3 = Aux Ground
4 = Aux Connection Sensor
5 = Shielding
6-8 = Unused

So if you've been playing along, the servo wire will connect to Pins 3, 2, and 1 with the white/yellow wire on Pin 1, the red wire on Pin 2, and the black or brown wife on Pin 3.

Instead of a servo wire, I actually used the smaller end of an old analog audio cable from a CD rom drive. While I had to move some pins around, it works aweseome.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone in a similar position.

Obes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #48
randyoaks187 is on a distinguished road
randyoaks187's Tacoma Gallery
replace stock aux jack with aux and usb (usb just for power)

Anyone out there know if the stock aux jack can be replaced with the usb combo version if you just want power to the usb with out doing all these cable mods?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyoaks187 View Post
Anyone out there know if the stock aux jack can be replaced with the usb combo version if you just want power to the usb with out doing all these cable mods?
To a stock head? Sounds like a question for another thread...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #51
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Does the iPhone cable have 4 sections or 3 on the plug? I'm thinking the same as you because I'm about to get an iPhone to go with my new Pioneer with app mode. If it only has 3 sections like a normal headphone cable, it should work with this mod...or so you'd think.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #52
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
How do you remove the USB "faceplate?" I'm installing a new HU and want to hack the USB connector, but cannot figure out how to remove it.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiet View Post
How do you remove the USB "faceplate?" I'm installing a new HU and want to hack the USB connector, but cannot figure out how to remove it.
I havent done it myself, but have asked before. Was basically told you need to remove the console to get to the back. I tried popping it out as well with no luck. Will have to wait for some free time, which is at a premium these days...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoochild 2k9 View Post
I havent done it myself, but have asked before. Was basically told you need to remove the console to get to the back. I tried popping it out as well with no luck. Will have to wait for some free time, which is at a premium these days...
If you already have the head unit (and climate controls) out of the dash, you should be able to stick a couple fingers down there and pop it out from behind.

My issue was I installed it that way, and then learned after putting my head unit back in my connections were wrong. Solution? If you *gently* stick a thin, wide flathead screw driver between the top of the plug and the dash panel, you can pop it out and avoid having to remove your stereo trim, stereo, and climate control panel. I did it with the AUX only plug in my '11; should work with the AUX/USB combo.

Again, I emphasise GENTLY.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #55
apoteker is on a distinguished road
apoteker's Tacoma Gallery
so i am trying to do this mod in a slightly different way- in my '12 with the aux port i just want to tap into the wiring harness where this plugged into the back of my oem radio- but i can't find which plug it connected to... any ideas?

thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoteker View Post
so i am trying to do this mod in a slightly different way- in my '12 with the aux port i just want to tap into the wiring harness where this plugged into the back of my oem radio- but i can't find which plug it connected to... any ideas?

thanks
A little late but if you haven't figured it out yet, there's a cable by Axxess for just that purpose. Just picked one up myself off flea bay. Gonna see if I can figure it out today. I also got the servo thing the OP was talking about. That one will be a little tougher.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #57
Keonib is on a distinguished road
Name: Keoni
Keonib's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd and added to the list!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #58
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
gonna do this to a 2014 touchscreen HU that I recently installed in my 2008. got every part except the servo wire to get the aux function to work.

I'll post up an update ones I get it done.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #59
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

adio's Tacoma Gallery
NEED HELP

So I got a chance to hook up the USB/AUX port. USB function, but the AUX function can't seem to work. I wired up the AUX like the OP did. Did I do it wrong since the way he did it is for an aftermarket HU. I'm guessing for me to utilize the AUX function I need to use all 5 pins on the port.

Anyone know the pin lay out of the AUX?? At help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #60

adio's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Any help from anyone?? haha

Products Discussed in this Thread