Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

HOW TO: Tundra USB/Stereo input on Tacoma aftermarket head unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO: Tundra USB/Stereo input on Tacoma aftermarket head unit

This part fits below the A/C Controls on the 09+ Tacomas

Needed:

-Tundra USB/Stereo port part number 86190-0C020
-USB Male to Male cable
-R/C toy servo extension cable (you can get it at a hobby shop just ask for a servo extension cord)

USB port:

Thanks to ElectronMan for the instructions to connect the USB cable and info on cutting the port:

You may need to cut the back of the USB/Stereo port like the pics below for easier access to connectors, like this:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Connecting the USB (Thanks again to ElectronMan):

You will need to modify one end of the USB cable, basically remove the metal surrounding so you end with something like this:

Once modified like above it will plug in, in the back of the toyota USB port.

Thats it!!!

Stereo input:

For the stereo cable I used a three wire 3.5mm stereo cable, cut the plug of one end and you'll have three thin wires exposed:

Black - ground
Red - right channel
White - left channel

Mate them to a radio control servo wire extension as follow:
(Depending on which harness they give you at the hobby shop, they usually are black,red,white or brown,red,yellow)

Black to (Black or Brown)

Red to (White or yellow)

White to (Red)

You'll end up with a cable like this:

Connect to the back of the USB/Stereo input like this:

Connect to aftermarket radio and thats it!!!!!!!!!

Installed PIC:

Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting your how to.
Do you have a picture of where you installed the jack?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
Thanks for posting your how to.
Do you have a picture of where you installed the jack?
don't have a pic, but its next to the stock AUX input below the A/C controls
Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Nice and clean! I am definitely going to do this when I order the 2009 Lower Trim panel for my 2007 that doesn't have any auxiliary input. Of course, I still have to get a radio that has auxiliary inputs so I can actually use this.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
I hate Commie Libs!
GearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gear
GearBox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
Nice and clean! I am definitely going to do this when I order the 2009 Lower Trim panel for my 2007 that doesn't have any auxiliary input. Of course, I still have to get a radio that has auxiliary inputs so I can actually use this.
Where did you order the lower trim panel from?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBox View Post
Where did you order the lower trim panel from?
I haven't ordered it yet. I am waiting for the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show so I can figure out what head unit I want for my stereo. I want a head unit that is Apple AirPlay compatible. I will be able to play music from my iPhone wirelessly, but still be able to power my phone for charging and other accessories with the USB port.

When I do order the lower trim panel, I will probably order it from:

ToyotaPartsCheap.com

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

The part numbers are:
55407-04040-B0 panel (trim panel itself)
55539-28160-C0 blank. (button blanks)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Oh hell yeah, how'd I miss this thread?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
sooo....does the USB work? or is just for the AUX?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the USB works, it is hooked up to a Pioneer u310bt.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see where the usb cable goes. Does the AUX and USB works? Thanks sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Cable on Picture #4 is a male to male USB cable, just that one of the ends was modifyed so it would plug in, into the Toyota USB/Aux. The other unmodifyed end simply plugs in into the USB port behind my Pioneer headunit.

and Yes both 3.5mm Stereo and USB are connected and working perfectly.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
This is an awesome mod and to save a few bucks on the USB cable, Monoprice sells the same USB cable for much less (along with lots of other cables and accessories) - just choose the color and length of the cable.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
cool....thanks for your help bud...
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
stoggy is on a distinguished road
stoggy's Tacoma Gallery
got my usb adapter installed.

The cable type would depend on what is coming out of the back of you radio.

The USB adapter, the toyota part, is female on the outside and male on the inside. So like for me i had a female connector coming out of the back of my stereo but i didnt want to bugger up that adapter when i could buy a normal usb cable and plug the male side into the cable from the stereo and then bugger up the female side and plug it into the toyota usb plug.

I used a grinder to cut down the female side on the usb cable i bought. i didnt cut down the toyota plug. Hardest part was getting the old aux-only plug out. I finally got it with a coat hanger. just made a little curl at the bottom so I could put it under and pull up on the tab before i could push it out.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up
Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
LovingLife is on a distinguished road
Name: Kristina
LovingLife's Tacoma Gallery
I've been trying to get the usb part of this mod to work. The aux part works fine for me.

I bought 3 inexpensive USB A Male to A Male USB connectors and tried this but the connectors I guess where a little too cheap as the wires to the connectors came off too easy. I did connect them in but my HU couldn't find the flash drive I had connected.

Since I ran out of stock cables I decided to make my own from two USB cables. I wired up the cables for A Male to A Male. What I'm not sure of is whether I keep the wires for the cable the same on both end or invert them

Pin No. Signal Cable Color
1 + VCC Red
2 Data - White
3 Data + Green
4 GND Black

I tried

P1 to P1
P2 to P2
P3 to P3
P4 to P4

but the flash drive wasn't seen by the HU

I then tried to flip just the power

P1 to P4
P4 to P1

and that didn't work either
Anyone know what the wiring should be for A Male to A Male?

Also do I need any of the metal on the connector for a contact
The picture doesn't show any. I'm just at a lost as to what I'm doing wrong here.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #18
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
In The usb cable end that you stripped
You have to slightly push up each of the four
Metal contacts so they make contact with their respective contacts on the aux port
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
In The usb cable end that you stripped
You have to slightly push up each of the four
Metal contacts so they make contact with their respective contacts on the aux port
(see picture number 4)

Products Discussed in this Thread