1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cutting out Rear wall brace on dbl cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Northcountry, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Northcountry

Northcountry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larr
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Any one ever cut out the rear wall brace on there double cab? Saw this guy did on car domain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2935312/2

I am only talking about the pics of his first box in which he removed the meta wall brace. Looks like he drilled out the weld spots to remove it.

Any one know if those drill holes are to the open air or if there is another metal sheet in-between?

I am thinking about doing this, I want to make a ported sub box like the taco tunes one with out building around the rear brace. I am looking for some input before I start going all nasty on the rear wall.

Thanks

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Building the box around the brace is probably a better solution...

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    yeah i would think that cutting it out would affect the structural integrity of our already flexy bodies

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Best way to get rid of spot welds to remove them without the hole is a air powered die grinder with a new carbide bit. Done thousands of them, you can get it perfectly smooth. Just grind it till there is so little metal left on the top side you can break the metal off. You might have to get a whole bunch ground down before you'll be able to get the metal to start moving.

Just use a powerful magnet in a plastic bag to pick up the shavings later. They come off super hot so best lay some tin around to catch them. Having said that would i remove it? Nope not me.

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    i took it out when i put in my system, there is no other sheet metal behind there other than the bed. I used pliers and screw drivers to peel it away and bend the metal up and down and around until it broke around the weld. Little more time consuming but dont have any holes in the metal. But drilling would be easier no doubt.

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Would it be possible to just move it up a little or no way? Just need a lil more room for the basket of a 12" sub to fit in there.

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    Northcountry

Northcountry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larr
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Thanks for the input. I am going try the grind off method and see where that gets me. Removing the brace gives you a lot more options for box design/sub you can use.

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs

I gained a full 3/4" by moving the rear seat forward...there are some other posts/threads floating around but this was my original...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...ck-seat-mod-system-install-complete-pics.html

Doing this would gain you as much as removing the cross-member...and is much safer and can be reversed later...I would think twice about removing that crossmember...good luck.

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I saw your thread and looked at my taco. I can easily see how to move the seat bottom forward... It doe snot look like the BOTTOM of the seat UPPER is moved forward. This is where I actually need the space for my sub to fit. IUnless I am missing something your seat bottom is moved up and forward and the top tilts back less... however; that does not give space where needed at the bottom of the upper seat back. Can you please explain? You pic of the upper seat bracket looks like its in the same spot as stock (the bracket that hold the hinge).

10. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    I spaced the vertical seat backs forward 3/4" using spacers between the actual seats and the hinges that bolt to the floor, and the bottoms only 1/2"..as they still open and conserved foot room... 1/4"..lol.. I then extended the metal U-brackets that the vertical seat backs snap or lock into using 5/16" round bar (tig welded, cleaned and painted). I extended the U-brackets the same 3/4" I spaced the seat backs...giving me an even clean 3/4" top and bottom clearance, and maintaining the factory angle of the seat back. The u-bracket extension is not necessary to clear the sub enclosure in most instances, as the seat will still lock into the factory u brackets..the seat backs would just be 3/4" more "angled"...if that makes sense.

I then cut or notched the actual hinge bracket that bolts to the floor for additional clearance for my amp rack and amp closest to the hinge. Assuming your enclosure fits between the hinges this shouldnt be necessary...

Doing this i was still able to leave the plastic on the seat backs and easily clear my sub enclosure and sub, but the corner pieces that hide where they bolt to the floor hinges no longer can be used. I later removed the seat-back plastic anyway as i got better bass response without them.

I have other posts / threads with more pics that might help if you search.

Hope this helps.

11. Jul 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes the section where the seat backs bolt to the hinge didnt have pics... thanks for clearing that up.

12. Jul 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    lilgerber

lilgerber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 off road Speedway blue
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    I cut mine off by my self, to fit a fiber glass back box, it was easy.

Just make sure you tarp everything off so when your grinding you don't let the sparks damage anything or catch fire.

13. Jul 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    pics of your setup?

14. Jul 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    lilgerber

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    let me see if i can dig some up .

15. Jul 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    lilgerber

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    This is all i got right now i need to take some more.

DSCF0226.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top