1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Schoshe Dash Kit: Doing it right

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ItalynStylion, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I've heard a few complaints about the Schoshe dash kit and at first I wasn't really that happy with mine either. The damn thing fits like a glove but it rattled something fierce in the dash.

But today I set out to fix the problem and I succeeded in that endeavor. I found out it's not a bad kit at all...just misunderstood! :p

So check out the first picture (please excuse the hand sign) and note all three fingers. Fingers 1 and 3 are pointing to some soft felt that comes on the stock headunit. It's there to keep it from rubbing the dash and making noise. Finger 2 is pointing to what I thought was just a thing to guide the kit into the dash properly. Well upon futher inspection of the stock headunit I realized I could take off those yellow clip pieces and put them on the Schoshe kit! One of those "duh" moments since it's obviously intended to be that way but the instructions I got with the kit never mentioned it so I didn't even stop to think about swapping them over.

DSC02216_4c66ae074e696dc7a33925f47bceee0700e6acfd.jpg

So in picture two here we have my double din Eclipse AVN726e mounted in the Schoshe kit. I've put on the 5 yellow clips and added some felt padding under the plastic mounting cage. The felt is green and should be easy to spot there. It fills a little gap between the bottom of the unit and the cage. Works great as some support and some cushion too. Note that I laid down a thin layer of silicone on ALL 4 edges of the kit where it would come in contact with the Tacoma dash. Let the silicone dry first and then reinstall it. Solid as a damn rock now and NO noise whatsoever...even while I was driving through a construction zone with a beat up road! :D

DSC02217_5714bd7b8321d17174a6799f6fbd8421c0fdd434.jpg

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully this info helps someone!

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    Great write-up! I will have to keep this thread in mind when I upgrade my head unit. Rep for you.

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer
    Huh that's a pretty good idea actually I didn't even notice the felt on the stock stereo...don't have any felt on hand - I might try to de-stick one side of double sided foam tape and see if that works too.

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Definietely helpful as I've noticed the same on my dash kit. Time to glue up a little felt. Thanks!

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting there thinking...."hmm...how can I make that better?" This appears to be one of those moments where you did the same thing.

Does the scosche manual say anything about reusing the yellow clips?

7. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    haha i found the yellow clips right away because with my metra kit, the clips werent on and when i put the kit in it like fell out and i said to myself what am i missing here. compared the two and new the clips needed to be on the new one. great fix for the schoshe kit.

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    See that's the thing. I don't remember it saying anything about reusing them. Of course, it could have been one of "those" moments where I was like...Directions? Pshhh, who needs em!

But seriously, I don't remember reading jack about it. And the thing was I cast the stock stereo aside so damn fast I never even saw the clips to begin with.

9. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Don't recall anything in the instructions to move the clips, but I did catch that anyway.

10. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I think that may be the reason some have really good luck with the kit and others don't like it. If you realize to move the clips over it's such a "duh" moment you couldn't imagine NOT doing it. Then, you have a great experience with it and it works great. If you didn't know to move them over then it's junk!

11. Aug 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how it should be put together :D

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    kborg1505

kborg1505 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristen
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Prerunner Sport
    So is the Metra kit a bit better than the Scosche or are they basically the same as far as quality goes. Does any one prefer one over the other? I would have to have my head unit installed at best buy or similar because i don't know anything about how to wire for GPS and dvd bypass.

13. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    It depends. Both use plastic brackets to hold the radio. Metra allows use of the factory metal brackets. On my Kenwood DNX9960 using the metal brackets caused the headunit to sit far forward and exposed the mechaincal parts on the sides for the motorised faceplate. Had to drill new mount holes to move it back a half inch... which created gaps on the top and sides. Kenwoods come with plastic trim pieces to cover from the edge of the radio housing to the trim edge of the Metra. Once those were trimmed to fit and used the install looks great and it does not move much becasue of the stronger metal brackets. The Soche platic trim and brackets are easier to use as is to get a nice clean fit... its just not as strong. Also the top of my dash kit does not fully snap in but I think thats from the constant inerting and removal donr during install. I think new clips wil get th etop to seat fully... not that anyone notices the top not fitting perfect other than me. Everyone says my dash looks factory, even though I painted my dash black.

You can see the slots for mounting the radio fore/aft in the OPs pics... the factory metal brackets are just holes and you need new holes to adjust fit.

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    kborg1505

kborg1505 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristen
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Prerunner Sport
    Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it!

15. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    BTW, I had to remove my HU just last week to re-position and secure some wiring. While I was in there I added some pieces of the loop side of some velcro to strategic points on the dash kit outer edges. Happy to say most of the rattling and plastic squeaking is now gone.

16. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
  17. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    Bozack

Bozack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rube
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC
  18. Feb 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
  19. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    06TXED

06TXED Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4x4
    I looked into the getting some felt like that came on the OEM radio. I found this site:
    http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/poly.htm
    I e-mailed them and they are going to send me a free sample of their .35mm adhesive backed felt to try out. I will report back once I try it out. I hope it will add just enough cusion between the dask kit and the dash panel. If not I might try there .5mm felt.

20. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I did the Metra kit withe metal brackets on a 3200 only because its what i ended up getting. Solid and tight, no rattles at all. first time. I did not need to felt or silicon anything. Metra seems to be a solid kit. Did the parking brake bypass relay too.

Products Discussed in

To Top