Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Trying to build a sound system

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Question Trying to build a sound system

Alright, so I've really been getting sick of all the static coming from the little fm transmitter I use to play my i pod in the truck. At first I wanted to just get a cheap HU with an aux input but now its turned into a bit more. I want to replace the speakers as well and possibly add an amp to the system.

Ive been doing a lot of reading today both here and on CT and am still overwhelmed with info. I used crutchfield and the pioneer deal going on on amazon to try and piece together a possible system. I am not entirely sure if any of the things I chose will even work well together so I came here to ask you guys. Please let me know your opinions on my choices. Im just looking for an inexpensive decent system.

I listen to mostly rock/metal.

budget is right around $300

These rear speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G68...355253&sr=1-40

This HU.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-12...2355295&sr=1-3

These components for the front. (are components even right for me or will coaxials be just fine)?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA5...ures_and_specs

This sub down the road, not now as I can't afford it:
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS1200-.../dp/B001DXF990

And an old 400 watt amp we have laying around. I can't find it right now so I cant get all the specs. I dont even know what brand it is lol.

Thanks for bearing with me! Im a total audio newb.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
braaap

Alright, am I correct that Im going to want an amp with 90 watts RMS or less since the speakers can handle 180 watts max. That just doesnt seem right since all the amps Im seeing are 100 watts RMS and over.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
I'm no stereo expert but 90 watts RMS sounds to low. I do know that you'll probably want component speakers and not coaxial. They will sound better.
yeah I was going off the rule that you want the speakers to be rated for double the RMS of the amp. Im now thinking your supposed to divide the RMS of the amp by the number of speakers its powering. So do people generally power the rear coaxials with the amp or just the front components?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
prae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura about

prae's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, save your money and buy JUST a good HU for now. you'll be surprised at the increase in quality.

Following that, amp + front components would be a good second step.

i wouldnt waste your time with the sub you posted though.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by prae View Post
honestly, save your money and buy JUST a good HU for now. you'll be surprised at the increase in quality.

Following that, amp + front components would be a good second step.

i wouldnt waste your time with the sub you posted though.
Ok, good advice. how is the HU I posted?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Not the best HU.
yeah, I figured for the price it wasn't the best.

How about this one. I want to get one good enough to handle any future upgrades.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-52...367106&sr=1-18

edit: any real differences besides HD radio between that one and this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-32...2367106&sr=1-5
Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
prae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura about

prae's Tacoma Gallery
lol @ the HU Mr. Brown posted being discountinued.

Eclipse definitely makes some nice units, they have a real cult following.

I've owned a handful of pioneer decks and never really enjoyed them. Interfaces are quite clunky. Best advice is to hit up a local store and play with a bunch to see which you like best.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by prae View Post
lol @ the HU Mr. Brown posted being discountinued.

Eclipse definitely makes some nice units, they have a real cult following.

I've owned a handful of pioneer decks and never really enjoyed them. Interfaces are quite clunky. Best advice is to hit up a local store and play with a bunch to see which you like best.
Alright. The reason I was looking at pioneer is they are having a deal over on Amazon right now. (im sure you knew that already). I may head over to best buy tomorrow and check some out. I also read a lot of good things about the pioneer HU's sound quality over on CT.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
It's discontinued but still for sale by places other than Crutchfield, and at a decent discount from the original price and, imo a good deal for the OP. I only used Crutchfield because the OP has been using it as a reference.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
I know its not a Pioneer but:

Eclipse CD5030

Looking back to the original post I wouldn't recommend your rear speaker selection either. Try to stick with circular speakers. They generally sound better than the oval ones.
Alright. Ive heard of the round speaker thing but didn't think it was all that important with the rears. I think Im just going to go with a better HU for now and upgrade the rest later. Might as well do it right the first time.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
It's discontinued but still for sale by places other than Crutchfield, and at a decent discount from the original price and, imo a good deal for the OP. I only used Crutchfield because the OP has been using it as a reference.
Maybe best buy will have one. It is definitely a high end HU from what I can tell.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
braaap

Quote:
Probably a good idea. Check out caraudio.com for people that know alot more about this than I do. Hope I helped though.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
braaap

alright, I'm pretty dead set on this HU as of now. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-P7...412260&sr=1-17

I think it will be a good unit for when I decide upgrade the rest of the system down the road.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
braaap

Ugh! Too many choices!

Im now leaning toward this alpine
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500CDE1...T.html?tp=5684
but the only thing holding me back is the fact that it only has 4 preamp channel outputs. Is this going to be a big deal down the line if I add another amp and sub to the system? It says that you can control weather the rear speakers, or sub get power with the bass control. Does that mean when the sub is powered the rear speakers are not, and visa versa? Or am I completely wrong here? lol

Basically what Im asking is if its worth getting the 2 extra outputs on the pioneer even though I love the look of the alpine much more; plus the fact that it actually has hard buttons for the radio presets.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
What about HD radio?

Products Discussed in this Thread