LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Customized dash on 1st gen? Take a look at this situation

Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
Question Customized dash on 1st gen? Take a look at this situation

So i am very disappointed on the placement of the radio on the 1st gens, it is sooo low and very hard to use in that area, especially if you have a dvd player you got to crouch down to view it

Overview
Issue is low placement of radio din

Possible fixes
Construct new din
Im talking relocation of air vents, cabin controls, and the radio din to bring it up to a higher level. Idea would be to put the radio din where the air vents are possibly or place the radio below the vents and move the cabin controls where the radio din is now (but controls are wider then din so might be difficult) the airbag switch maybe not included altogether

Anyone seen something like that? Or want to chime in? Im thinking DIY project time... Looking for some input/ideas/constructive criticism

Pictures of horrible placement of radio din for people to understand

Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen that movie
Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a 2nd gen......

That sucks. I remember when I had my 89 4Runner. Same problem. So I never even considered a DVD style deck for this exact reason. If you do reconstruct the dash I would love to see it though. Relocating the air vents might be tough, but moving the A/C controls is probably your best bet.

Maybe consider modifying the mounts for the din to angle it upwards???
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 PSAP/1st Civ Div
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
if i wasn't lazy, I was thinking about removing the center vents (cuz I hate them anyways) and shifting my radio up to the top and moving all of the fan controls to the bottom...one of these days I may do it, but that'll be when I have a lot more time to do all of the re-wiring and customizing...But I did remove the ashtray and cut a little to fit my scanner on the bottom.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Buy a 2nd gen......

That sucks. I remember when I had my 89 4Runner. Same problem. So I never even considered a DVD style deck for this exact reason. If you do reconstruct the dash I would love to see it though. Relocating the air vents might be tough, but moving the A/C controls is probably your best bet.

Maybe consider modifying the mounts for the din to angle it upwards???

That is a good idea... i thought about it but i was more focused on getting the whole unit higher.

My taco came with the player so i was just trying to make it work. Ive done some fiberglass gauge pods for Mazda3s before but i dont know if this will be worth it...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
In my '04 I had a single DIN DVD and the screen came out and up to cover the AC controls. It never seemed too low to me then.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
In my '04 I had a single DIN DVD and the screen came out and up to cover the AC controls. It never seemed too low to me then.

That would work, seeing it would be bringing it up to the a/c controls, but that would mean getting a new HU
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same dilemma when I switched out my single din flip out Alpine to a Eclipse 726E...but with it tilted upwards...it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
I hate it, too...but you have to remember that Toyota designed the radio to fit a cheesy stock radio and not an lcd.

I wanted to stick my eee pc with a 9 inch screen somewhere for a carpc, but even for a tiny ass netbook it was huge compared to the cab/dash...so I just stuck with my AVIC-D2 because it would take waaay to much effort to fabricate dash crap...

Keep us posted if you're gonna do it, though. I'm interested.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I love the location of the stereo since I can rest my hand on the shifter to mess with the settings. ( in 1st, 3rd and 5th gear at least. lol)
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I love the location of the stereo since I can rest my hand on the shifter to mess with the settings. ( in 1st, 3rd and 5th gear at least. lol)
Actually...you know what? Me too. I hardly ever turn my music up or down when i'm in 2nd or 4th gear, lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachou View Post
Actually...you know what? Me too. I hardly ever turn my music up or down when i'm in 2nd or 4th gear, lol.
me too, too lazy
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
It was so far for me to reach i went the remote control route that i leave on my seat by the armrest to change the station/volume
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #14

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
lol. Sounds like we should drive automatics....

NOT.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Can you guys take those faces off when you leave the truck or is that face always in view?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
This is what I'm planning on doing....
Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
Can you guys take those faces off when you leave the truck or is that face always in view?
Ive see where the face "climbs" back into the receiver when not in use
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Should look into that then, because the scum I work with in the summer would have my truck broken into quicker then hell
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
shim the double din screen so that it points up by about 10 degrees or so. that might help with the viewing angle.