1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to cut out the road noise

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chonchon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Chonchon

Chonchon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    Hey everyone. I've been looking to make my ride a little quieter. Been looking around this forum for sound deadner advice, but everything I read is for a complete sound system set up.

I'm not looking to install an amazing sound system. More than anything I want to cut the road noise coming from my mud terrains. I've been looking into taking advantage of the RAAMAT discount on this site. The question is, will one roll be enough for all 4 doors, or do I need more? Should I be doing something different all together for my application?

i have a double cab

Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    If you're looking to kill road noise why would you focus on the doors? Does that noise come from air sliding by your doors or your tires hitting the pavement?

I'd encourage you to do some sort of deadener undercoat for the entire truck with some type of noise barrier (MLV backed with foam) on the floors of the truck. That will be the most help for what you're looking to do.

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    Chonchon

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    I don't know exactly, that's why I am here for advice. The noise is coming from the tires hitting the pavement. I was also looking at a product from Secondskin called "Sludge". Is this the type of product you are talking about for a deadener undercoat, or using the RAAMAT with the MLV on the floor of the truck?

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Second Skin kinda has the market cornered in terms of liquid sound coatings. I believe they have a bed liner coating that has good dampening properties as well but is significantly tougher than Sludge. I've thought about getting some but I never really got around to it. I might in the future if I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Chonchon

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    So are you saying i can do either?
    Second skin liquid coat or the RAAMAT with the MLV?

Ok, I'll check out the prices and see what best fits my budget.

How many rolls of RAAMAT do you think would cover the floor?

Thanks again for the help.

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Anything between you and noise will likely hinder it's transmission to your ear. Certain things are better at accomplishing that task than others. The more dense a material use the higher the loss of sound.

I would do the MLV on top for sure with a layer of deadener on the floor. I know I know...I've always said that deadener on the floor doesn't do much to quiet things down. In most cases I think that's right since it's not vibration you're fighting. However, in your case, you're running an aggressive tread pattern which transmits vibration through the structure of the vehicle I'd guess. So I think that some deadener on the floor might help out a bit.

I'd start there first and then think about doing an undercoating on the truck. It's a two birds one stone thing really; you remove all possibilities of rust/water damage and you quiet things down.

7. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Chonchon

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    Thanks a lot. I'll try that angle first.

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Look at imsikotic - he looks like a model citizen for that stuff.

9. Aug 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    DesertHeat

DesertHeat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Westin Step Bar K&N Aircharger High-Flow Intake
    Well, I will tell you I had the same problem - but solved it this weekend for only $30. No kidding. I saw a YouTube from a guy who used a product from Lowe's that really is used for sealing train from roofs - uses rubberized material with aluminum backing.

I took each of my doors apart (I have a 4x4 DC) and slapped this stuff in. AMAZING. It really works and it shut down a lot of road noise. I was so impressed with it I plan on putting it in on my floors this weekend when I find time.

The doors now don't close with that usual hollow tinny clunk, they close like the sound of a solid door. Really, I even recorded the difference on my Flip Cam I was that impressed. My wife stated the same as an impartial "observer" that we can now have a conversation with out having to elevate our voices. Once I get the floors done - this thing should really be quiet.

10. Aug 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    And let me guess Steve...that stuff was called Peel and Seal?

I got bad news for you bro, it's likely asphalt based because it's a roofing material. The bad news is that it's going to probably melt off inside your doors. That stuff is NOT ideal for what we are doing here. Products like the CLD Tiles and Damplifier are heat resistant and will hold up to the intense heat that a door will be subject to.

11. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    Chonchon

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    That could be an issue for me here in Arizona where the temperatures are constantly in the triple digits. Steve is this product Peel and Seal?

12. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    DesertHeat

DesertHeat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I will go try and find the name of the product I used. I uses a rubberized / sticky back with aluminum cover. I have had it out in 100 degree heat - but suspect that this may be a challenge in AZ. Don't know. But product states that it can withstand 200 degrees. In AZ, it might go over that??? I don't know with sun directly on sunbaked door metal? I lived there for 4 years and might be suspect, don't know.

13. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Does the label look familiar? This is what Lowes has that I was thinking you may have used.

[​IMG]

14. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    DesertHeat

DesertHeat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Ok, my mistake - It's called "Quick Roof" from Home Depot. Here is the link on the guy who used it on his Beetle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7eIF4cgFx4

http://www.classicvwbugs.com

This stuff is awesome - i compared it to my son in laws stuff he got for his hotrod shop. I can't tell the difference - he was impressed too. This stuff makes a difference - and for only 16 bucks roll this goes a long way.

All you need really is this Quick Roof and a towel - that's all. This stuff is extremely sticky so watch it. It doesn't come off once you put it on.

I did look for Quick Roof at Lowe's, they didn't carry it. Seems only Home Depot.

15. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Well, I know what I'm using as a temporary patch for some leaky flashing on my roof... but I'd also be worried about the "rubberized asphalt" compound inside doors and under carpet.

Products Discussed in

To Top