1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6x9 front door magnet too big

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rv210, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    rv210

rv210 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    ***HAD***05 quadcab 4x4 taco
    bed cover, piaa led's, bfg a/t tires,17' pro comp 6089 rims,billies 5100's in front set at 1.75'
    i just changed out my factory 6x9's to some kicker 6x9's and now my front windows will not roll down all the way because the magnet is to big. i was talking with the installer at best buy and he told me that they sometimes cut out the speakers out of the original encasing from toyota and mount the new speakers in those to use as spacers. i was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for me

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Get the spacers from Mr. Marv. He sells them for a good price. They're exactly what you need. I wouldn't use the stock speakers as a means to space them out. I tried that in my Lexus IS300 (similar situation) and I ended up making myself a set of baffles anyways after I spent the time fiddling with the stock crap.

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    it's very common to use the old speaker that way - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. either that or the spacers that were mentioned.

4. Aug 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Check Hookedontronics as well, he makes them as well. Very fast ship from him when I bought mine.

5. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    +1 for Mr. Marv.

Send him an email and tell him exactly what front speakers you bought. He'll get the mounting depth specs and make a set of spacers that will work.

I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I installed a set of Pioneer TS series 6x9's in the front. Mr. Marv made some extra deep spacers made to my speakers specs. I have no issues with the windows, but I did have to trim about 1/4" off of the plastic lip on the inside of the door panel. He told me all about that before shipping the spacers, so I was expecting to do a bit of trimming. No biggie though, my Dremel took care of that in about 30 seconds. :)

6. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, Marv really knows his way around the Tacoma and it's dimensions. In Scott's case if Marv didn't know he needed an extra deep spacer he'd have still had a problem with the window and would have needed new spacers. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top