Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB or HAM Radio

Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
CB or HAM Radio

Working on the parts list for my truck to firm up the cost and create a build schedule and im working on the radio option, here is was im deciding between:
1) Cobra 29 LTD Classic
2) Yaesu FT8900R
Also I am trying to figure a way to mount it into the truck and was thinking about under the bottom switches in front of the center console, with hopfully enough room for a row of ARB rocker switches, will that work with either radio? Also antena mounts is there away to mount it between the bed and the cab and have it fold or quick detach when its not in use?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
The cb will do you just fine until you take and pass the test for ham and get your operating license to use it
Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
i fully intend on getting a license but mor interested if i can use one radio for both bands or do i needs two seperate radios?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
You will want both. I run a 8900R in my rig, which is great when you want to reach out and touch someone, however, most people do not have their license, so when you go on group trips, you will need a CB.

Start with a CB, then, once you get your license, go for the HAM
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
fhlashsf is just really nicefhlashsf is just really nicefhlashsf is just really nicefhlashsf is just really nicefhlashsf is just really nice

Name: Curt
fhlashsf's Tacoma Gallery
You can listen to the CB channels on a Ham radio but you can't transmit. I have a Ham radio in my truck, I prefer ICOM's DStar radios. If you have a DStar repeater near you the voice quality is crystal clear and you can speak around the world with just a few watts power.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
my hope is to find a HAM radio that will work on CB so that i dont need to radios and i can use it as a CB Radio until i get a license then im good to go.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A lot of people are switching to HAM due to the range. You have to pass the test for the license like once right? No big deal.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0LLYW00D View Post
my hope is to find a HAM radio that will work on CB so that i dont need to radios and i can use it as a CB Radio until i get a license then im good to go.

I have heard of HAM being "hacked" to work, however, it is illegal, and I woudl not suggest it. Take a look at my build thread, I have both HAM and CB, but you would never know it until I have them plugged in and running (aside from the antenna)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0LLYW00D View Post
Working on the parts list for my truck to firm up the cost and create a build schedule and im working on the radio option, here is was im deciding between:
1) Cobra 29 LTD Classic
2) Yaesu FT8900R
Also I am trying to figure a way to mount it into the truck and was thinking about under the bottom switches in front of the center console, with hopfully enough room for a row of ARB rocker switches, will that work with either radio? Also antena mounts is there away to mount it between the bed and the cab and have it fold or quick detach when its not in use?
it depends upon who else you're trying to communicate with.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ansceiver.html
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
The FT-8900 will not be able to listen to or transmit on CB for a couple reasons.

First the FT-8900 coverage begins at 28Mhz on the amateur 10m band. CB operates at 26-27Mhz on the 11m band.

Second the FT-8900 is a FM radio. CB operates on AM and SSB.

My recommendation is to pass on the FT-8900 for a couple reasons. The FT-8900 is a quad band. Although there is some activity on 6m FM it is not much and 10m FM is virtually useless. So the addition of these two bands will force you to buy a funky quad-band antenna. Not only are they the ugliest antennas on the planet, but they are not going to have the performance of a good dual band antenna.

Final recommendation:

If your budget is around the price of the 8900 i suggest the FT-8800 or the Kenwood TM-V71A. The reason i mention the kenwood is that the yaesu radios have the mic connector on the face. so if you plan to mount the transceiver in the back and just mount the face up front then you are stuck having your mic come out of the face. The kenwood will allow you to run a separate cable from the tranceiver to the mic and control head. This will allow you to mount the face up high or anywhere else and have the mic come out from under the center console.

For CB:

Just keep one of those small CB radios mounted somewhere else for when you need CB.

For Antennas:

The best mounting point is smack dab in the middle of the cab roof. on the bed rail behind the cab is absolutely the worst place to mount antenna. The metal in the cab will cause your radiation pattern to be highly directional and cause issues with SWR. the only reason anyone mounts it there is for convenience. The best alternative convenience place i have found is to mount it off a custom bracket off the hood hinge. Send a PM to copperT to get a picture of his. I made the bracket for him.