1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need speaker mount patterns

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tonyhammon, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jul 8, 2008 at 10:39 AM
    tonyhammon

tonyhammon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Doublecab 4WD SR5
    Rather than order the mounts from *********, I'm looking to cut my own mounts from MDF for aftermarket front and maybe rear speakers. I haven't had any luck finding a pattern online. If anyone has a pattern or can simply trace and/or measure the mounts they purchased (if they're not installed yet), I would appreciate it. I would rather cut the mounts before pulling the panel off to reduce the amount of time the truck is in pieces.

By the way, I've only had the truck a few weeks now, but I've read quite a bit on TW about mods, maintenance, etc. Great info!

2. Jul 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Welcome to TacomaWorld!

I need the same information. Heck even if someone could post an acurate measurement of the diamater of the cutout in the ********* mount I could make the rest from the pictures on line. :D

3. Jul 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Why not contact MR Marv on this forum and just have him send you some or maybe he will give you the specs. He is a awesome guy and turns out all kinds of things for audio in the Tacomas and his work is 2nd to none!

4. Jul 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    jozif

jozif Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab Indigo Ink TRD Sport 4.0L Manual
    I had this same issue. The ********* mount, I saw, is actually the same shape as the factory mount. Remove the speaker/mount, trace, cut. I used 2x 3/4" MDF and glued & screwed them together. I messed up on the mounting holes slightly, but self tapping screws solved that problem.

5. Jul 9, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    That's how I got my pattern. :)

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM
    tonyhammon

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Doublecab 4WD SR5
    I'll give it a shot then. Sounds easy enough. When I get around to it (hopefully soon) I'll try to post the pattern so other people can pre-cut and avoid having the door panel off for very long.

7. Jul 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    tonyhammon

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Doublecab 4WD SR5
    Here is the pattern I made for the front mounts. I used it and it works fine. They leave a 3/8" gap at the top between the mount and the hole for the speaker. I'm not sure if it affects the sound, but the speaker wire can be routed through it. If you're concerned about the gap, just add 3/8" to the top.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5974/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/7587

Also, I used 1 1/4" MDF mounted with 1 1/2" long 1/4" metal screws. It ended up too thick to remount the door panel, so I had to cut out the plastic ring on the inside of the door panel (doesn't show). If you plan to cut your own mounts, I would recommend using 1" MDF or smaller so you don't have to cut out the ring, unless you have extremely deep speakers and require the thicker MDF.

All in all, the speakers sound good and I didn't have to over-pay for intallation. Just $1.30 for screws.

Products Discussed in

To Top