Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Mids/Highs in '01 Xtra Cab?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
WhyNotFab is on a distinguished road
Name: Ricky
WhyNotFab's Tacoma Gallery
Mids/Highs in '01 Xtra Cab?

I want to replace the factory 6x8s and 5x7s, maybe the door tweeters too.. but it's been so long since I've done much stereo stuff that I'm not even sure what sounds good anymore haha. All I have in my S-10 are Pioneer 6x9s and 4x6s. They've always sounded loud/clean. Any other suggestions though? Not looking to spend an extreme amount.. I also want to put a sub or two.. any suggestions on that?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on upgrading to some infinity components for the front and some simple coaxials for the rear. Your gonna want an amp to power the components though since the HU does not have enough power to give the speakers justice.

Here's the components Im looking at for the front:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1085030...cs.html?tp=106

Just so you know, these are round speakers and require adapter plates to make work in the oval openings. If you order from crutchfield they include them for free but you can get these same speakers a lot cheaper on ebay, and just make the adapter plates if your able to.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
I plan on getting a Sony or Pioneer head unit, nothing crazy just one of those $125-$150 units from Walmart/Best buy.. would that be fine?

When it says the sizes are 5x7 in front, 6x8 in rear.. but both use the same mounting pattern.. could I use 6x8 in front and rear or would that not sound right?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Those HU's are fine. Just try to get one with at least 4 preamp channel outputs. That will make adding an amp and sub much easier down the road. (personally I would look for one with 6 preamp outputs).

As for the speakers, From what I've heard, round speakers are the way to go. Im going with the 5.25" round front component speakers and some cheap 6x8's for the rear.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Will the 5.25s fit right in? What about 6.5s?
I'm thinking about getting new speakers sooner than expected now, since the 30% off Pioneer on amazon is a good deal.. Just need to know what sizes work!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNotFab View Post
I'm thinking about getting new speakers sooner than expected now, since the 30% off Pioneer on amazon is a good deal.. Just need to know what sizes work!
You will need adapters either way to fit round speakers. Most 6.5's will work but I would contact mr marv, he's a member on here and sells the adapters custom made for our trucks. Just let him know what speakers your looking at and he can tell you if they'll work.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
What would sound better 2 or 3 way? I found a set of 3 way pioneer for the rear, 6x8.. but for the 6.5s, not sure between 2 or 3 way
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
What would sound better 2 or 3 way? I found a set of 3 way pioneer for the rear, 6x8.. but for the 6.5s, not sure between 2 or 3 way
I honestly have no idea lol. I know that number refers to the number of drivers in the speaker.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, 2-ways and 3-ways will sound different to everybody. it's all about personal preference. hit up a car audio shop and listen to the different types and different brands. it'll be worth it since you're the one who's going to be listening to it most.

here's an example, infinity kappa components. many people say the tweeter is too crisp and hurts their ears. there's some audiophiles that love that and will need that clarity in their setup.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
check for tacoma speaker adapters... or tacoma 6.5 speaker adapter on ebay. i used some on my system and they worked perfect.

these worked for me, i just had to sand down the edges a little bit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6x8-5x7-6-Speake...#ht_2798wt_758