Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Supersuks 2010 Tacoma Audio Build

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #61
supersuk is on a distinguished road
supersuk's Tacoma Gallery
Oh man!!! Dude, i'm so sorry. It totally slipped my mind. I have the plans ready, just forgot to scan them. I'll have them done by mon since i'm not at the office all weekend. Please remind me on mon.

Btw, I've also been working on a box with 2 dayton subs in it. I think it might just work. I gotta check with some people to see if i'm using the winisd software correctly cause right now its giving me 1.16 cu.ft. for two drivers sharing the same space. Once that is done then I can get the blue prints for that one to you asap. Its a lil complicated the way I have it set up, but it can be done. I just want to make sure the port is large enough to prevent vent noise and if the box is large enough.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #63
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
Oh man!!! Dude, i'm so sorry. It totally slipped my mind. I have the plans ready, just forgot to scan them. I'll have them done by mon since i'm not at the office all weekend. Please remind me on mon.

Btw, I've also been working on a box with 2 dayton subs in it. I think it might just work. I gotta check with some people to see if i'm using the winisd software correctly cause right now its giving me 1.16 cu.ft. for two drivers sharing the same space. Once that is done then I can get the blue prints for that one to you asap. Its a lil complicated the way I have it set up, but it can be done. I just want to make sure the port is large enough to prevent vent noise and if the box is large enough.
Send me the TS parameters and I'll run them through Unibox.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #64
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
So basically after phasing, just increase/decrease time alignment until the image gets centered. I'm assuming the measurements of the distance of the speakers from the listening area doesn't matter as much? Also, I have noticed that when changing the time alignment, I can hear a frequency response change every 0.05ms. Am I hearing things or is this right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Measure out your distances first only as a starting point. Then, assuming you can do the phase switch easily I'd do it next. Throw that disc I mailed you in and run the phase track over and over. Get things as right as you can that way.

Then, throw a little time alignment on it again. If you can listen to JUST the tweeters or JUST the mids or midbass drivers on their own (in pairs) it's MUCH easier to tune that way I find. I play the number track (counting from 1-25) for that one. The TEEN's and Twenties are great for tuning the tweeters since there is a little more HF content. Do them individually and you'll get a rock solid center.

If you have trouble getting a center you might try changing the phase of one of the drivers. In fact, that's what I'd look at first if it gives you trouble. Hopefully you can do this all from the computer or you'll want to pull your hair out.
I've been reading a lot of questions about time alignment in car audio forums, I guess it's a hot topic lately, and it seems like people are doing this the hard way. If you have an RTA I don't understand why you would be attempting time alignment by ear. Is there something going on here that I don't know about?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #65
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

An RTA measures frequency response.

Time alignment is time delay; getting the farthest speaker from the listening position to fire a fraction of a second early so it sounds like it's the same distance as the closest one.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #66
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

Yes but you can use an RTA to set time alignment because the effect of misaligned time between tweeter and woofer on the frequency spectrum is visible on the RTA. It shows up in the dip at the crossover point. This being the case it is easy to optimize using an RTA but I see a lot of people spending forever tweaking this by ear and was wondering why.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #67
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
Yes but you can use an RTA to set time alignment because the effect of misaligned time between tweeter and woofer on the frequency spectrum is visible on the RTA. It shows up in the dip at the crossover point. This being the case it is easy to optimize using an RTA but I see a lot of people spending forever tweaking this by ear and was wondering why.
Interesting, I've never thought about using it that way. Makes perfect sense.

That being said, I think there are things you can't really measure out on a graph. Things like spacial cues and presence. I push the tweeters out a good bit because it opens up the stage a bit IMO. The woofers I have on a little early because it helps bring the bass forward.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #68

If you and I got together to tune something I think it would take entirely too long because we'd be experimenting with shit like this.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #69
Man, I haven't updated this thread in 3 years! Well the system was completed and i've been enjoying it for the past 3 years. However, things change and my company would like to buy my truck and allow me to use it for work. This allows me to be covered under our companies insurance and travel onsite to projects that need some crazy insurance liability amounts. Becaue of this I have to remove everything from my truck and return it back to stock. Well, here are some final pictures of the completed kicks and sails. I know it looks a little dirty, but after 3 years it does get like that. Good thing it cleans up really well!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #70
Sounds Gooooood

Awwww man. Well at least you got to enjoy it! Mine has stayed pretty much the same for the past 3 years too. I think we were building our systems about the same time. But once you achieve perfection; why alter it?

I bet you could sell those sail panels for a good price here.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #71
Yup, I remember that! I did change out the midbass for some dynaudio 8"ers that I picked up. This really helped to wake up the midbass that I was lacking. I've enjoyed everything since then and have made no changes whatsoever!

I do have everything listed in the for sale section and locally. Been getting a lot of interest in each component. But because of the storm that we're experiencing right now, I can't take anything out to take pictures of them.